Thread: Bouzouki pickup

Default Bouzouki pickup

I finally found a good Bouzouki. It’s made by David Webber of Vancouver. It has no electronics and I have no wish to have holes drilled into it. Does anybody have advice about a pickup system that don’t require drilling holes@?

Default Re: Bouzouki pickup

I'm no expert so the advice I'd give is: you get what you pay for! Avoid the cheap ones; I bought one of the stick-on Piezo disc versions that attach to the body and it was complete rubbish.
    One of the warmest sounds I got was from an old DeArmond pickup that clamped to the front of the body by attaching to the strings behind the bridge, but they're hard to find now. I also use a Myers Feather Pickup on some of my older instruments, where I'm worried about damage to the wood, and it's performed well so far. It uses a rubber sucker to stick to the body and with care doesn't leave any marks.
    Andy Irvine uses a pickup which clamps to the soundhole - possibly a Fishman? - but these can mark the wood and it's noticeable once they're removed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3072.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	166200  
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

Quote Originally Posted by markarbogast View Post
    I finally found a good Bouzouki. It’s made by David Webber of Vancouver. It has no electronics and I have no wish to have holes drilled into it. Does anybody have advice about a pickup system that don’t require drilling holes@?
    Not being funny, but have you thought about a microphone rather than a pickup? There are many good small condenser mics out there which will give you a great sound. If you play without moving about too much it is a very viable choice.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

K&K's are really decent. No need for a preamp. You will have to drill the tail with a 1/2" step drill but that's easy enough. Come to think of it. Pay a professional.

Nigel

http://www.nkforsterguitars.com/instruments/mandolin/

I would argue that microphones are the best choice for amplification. Notice that all vocalists use mics. Pickups allow for movement. Mics require staying put.

Quote Originally Posted by vernob View Post
    I would argue that microphones are the best choice for amplification. Notice that all vocalists use mics. Pickups allow for movement. Mics require staying put.
    True, most of the damage to my instruments comes from banging them off mics, and if you look at my profile photo of voice and bouzouki both miked, that's the sort of position I have to get into to keep mouth close to mic and instrument away, which is probably why I'm getting physio on my neck at present.
    I use both when recording and it gives a nice balance of sound, but then I'm not moving about.
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

Quote Originally Posted by nkforster View Post
    K&K's are really decent. No need for a preamp. You will have to drill the tail with a 1/2" step drill but that's easy enough. Come to think of it. Pay a professional.
    I've never tried one on an OM or bouzouki, but I have one in my guitar, and it sounds great! Because it is glued under the soundboard and the wire feeds into the strap button/jack, it is totally invisible.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories