Thread: 2 Northfield Questions

Default 2 Northfield Questions

1-On the new website I saw a picture of an octave not mentioned anywhere else. Looks to be short-ish scale, oval hole, pin bridge. Looks like a flat top. Beautiful instrument. Anyone have any info? Prototype? Model yet to be released?

2-Has anyone swapped their NFS tailpiece to the engraved James tailpiece offered on the website. I doubt there's any tonal differences but the ease of string changes might make it a worthy upgrade. Looks sharp. I would think it would be an easy swap.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Default Re: 2 Northfield Questions

The octave has been around sometime now sounds great too. James TP, nothing bad about them I can think of. Not sure if the screw holes line up with the standard NF cast tailpiece. But an easy addition none the less. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

I have one of their GBOMs I didn’t see anything like what you are describing for an OM unless it’s something they are working on, do you have a link or pic - interesting to see what they might have up their sleeves.

My F5 Master Model came with the James tailpiece and I love it, totally worth an upgrade.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I found the pic he's talking about and it's an enticing curiosity indeed. It's the one leaning up against the couch next to Emory Lester on his 'Artist' page. You can scroll down to see it without the text overlay: https://www.northfieldinstruments.com/emory-lester/

As for the tailpiece, I've played a NF MM with one of the engraved James as well as a Gilchrist with the abbreviated Nugget tailpiece soon-to-be-available on their site and they are both really, really nice. I'm tempted and torn between them.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

https://www.northfieldinstruments.co...ctave-mandolin
    Here it is again. The first of the 4 octaves.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Oh yeah I had seen that, I guess I just figured it was a retro-fitted guitar but you guys might be on to something.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Videovert says that the M model is made in Michigan. Which models are made in the USA and which are made in China?
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

Hi! The octave you’re referring to is a brand new instrument... but we’ve been working on it for about 3 years. Tenor (0) size, 22” scale like our archtop version, same body actually with a few tweaks, old spruce, made in the Michigan shop. Kjell (on our team, pronounced “Shell”, is a great small bodied guitar and ukulele maker. His expertise in guitar design is a driving force behind the project. Kosuke is up for anything!). So...Kjell, Kosuke and I designed this instrument with a variety of different music in mind but with Scandinavian tunes and textures at the heart of the concept. Kjell and Kosuke are making a small batch right now. Stay tuned for lots of recordings and info very soon.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Northfield mando For This Useful Post:

I had one of the earlier Master Models (s/n 83 I think) and tried to swap out the cast tailpiece with a James. The holes didn't align properly on that particular instrument. I returned the James and stayed with the cast cause it wasn't worth the trouble of plugging holes and redrilling. I too love the James tailpiece for ease of string changing and traditional look.

I have a 2-16 Big Mon and it has James tailpiece with Northfield on it. I assume original. Worls brilliant. Just the best design ever but it's a very expensive tailpiece. You can but a mandolin for the cost of one of these.