Thread: D'Addario Customer Support

Default D'Addario Customer Support

Hey mando folks.

I need to share this anecdote in these times of high-volume, low-margin marketing. I bought a three pack of D'Addario EJ74s from Just Strings. I put on a fresh set and went to play the evening gig. Shortly after we started playing one of the E strings unwound and let loose at the loop end. I replaced it with from one of the remaining two sets. Right after our break the other E string unwound and did the same thing. (Grr!) Again, it was replaced and we finished the gig without further incident.

The next day I wrote a crappy review at Just Strings (JustStrings.com). They didn't post it. Instead they forwarded it to George Santos at D'Addario Customer Support. He got in touch with me immediately and, without prompting, offered to replace the E string singles AND include 3 free sets of EJ74s. I explained I wasn't trying to coax free stuff from them. Regardless, George has sent me the strings free of charge or shipping.

I was quick to mouth off when I was displeased. It is only fair that I be equally vehement about their willingness to make things right. I have used their strings for many years and respected them. Now I have even greater respect for their business model and customer service.

With humility,
    Dave

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DaveMorehouse For This Useful Post:

Default Re: D'Addario Customer Support

In my mind that’s exactly what sets a company apart from the competition: not does the product go “wrong” but how they react when it does.

4. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post
    In my mind that’s exactly what sets a company apart from the competition: not does the product go “wrong” but how they react when it does.
    Exactly, any one can make a mistake, any thing no matter how well made can break or malfunction. The real test is how does the company respond. D'Addario made things as right as they could, they weren't there to change your string when it slipped so they offered compensation in another form in addition to replacing bad product. A company that wants our business.

6. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

I've used J74's for several years and they are all I every use. Had an issue a couple of years ago where I broke two e strings--not a bad product just a stupid user. Wrote to D'Addario to see if I could purchase individual strings. I was honest about the fact that it was my fault. I received 3 full sets of strings just a few days later. Very impressed with this company.

8. The following members say thank you to Bruce Cech for this post:

Yes, they are my "go to" strings for 4 of my 6 mandos. I like them. The customer service added another layer to my appreciation of EJ74s.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Yup. Before I retired, my work including dealing with lots of vendors all the time. The ones I stuck with were the ones who treated me like a preferred customer even when I knew damn well I wasn't.

11. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

I have found a reasonable e mail does wonders. A string company knows you are likely to stick with a product long haul if you are happy, and any good business thinks long term.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Awesome service I'd say!
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •