Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Your MAS Progression

Default Re: Your MAS Progression

Kentucky KM-270 (will probably sell)
    Northfield Model M

I decided to upgrade after about a year with the Kentucky. I love the Northfield, which I've had for about a month now. I haven't listed the Kentucky for sale yet, but I don't imagine keeping it long term. As a non-professional guitar player picking up the mandolin, I've learned that I don't really need more than one of a particular instrument. Now, when I get tired of how my guitar sounds, it's way more fun to pick up my mando than to pick up a different guitar (and vice versa).

1987 Gilchrist F5 still have
    1999 LaPlant F5 still have
    2004 Gilchrist F5 still have
    2005 LaPlant F5 still have
    MAS cured!!

3. The following members say thank you to Homer Savard for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    You bought a Campanella...
    Look at the date on the post you quoted. It’s a few years old (March 2018), but I will say, I still have that Girouard (which is what I was referring to in the post).
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    MAS has been gentle on my limited income. Fortunately I’ve been able to raise and save up funds to have a few decent instruments.

1. Craigslist $50 Rover RM-25 ... still have this in the closet. My oldest daughter noodles with it from time to time.
    2. Eastman MD-305 ... after parting with some gear from another hobby and scrimping and saving, I bought this and am stil loving it.
    3. Flatiron 1N ... started carving and selling Armrests and saved up for this guy. Another craigslist buy. After owning it for a few months I decided that the flat top sound was not for me. I just sold it a week or so ago.
    4. Saving up for a Silverangel Econo A oval hole mando... I’m about 1/2 way there and excited at the prospect... anybody need an Armrest
    To update this:

1. The Rover still hides in a closet and my daughter will pull it ou every 3rd blue moon and give it a try.
    2. The Eastman has gone to a new home. I loved it but when I upgraded it sat unused, so I passed it on.
    3. The Flatiron 1N went on to a new home as stated above.
    4. Silverangel Econo A... I finally made it to my goal a little over a year ago, but decided on an F-hole model. This one is custom made with a cedar top an my pick of finished. It is a keeper and my main go-to. Dark, Powerful and Loud
    5. Jacobson Oval A Nautilus (Prototype)... This was a gift from Marty himself. Its very different from the SA but it has a lovely tone. Bell-like, not as loud but really sings.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soliver For This Useful Post:

I am almost certain I’m forgetting a few. I’m feeling ptsd coming on just typing this list...
    1. Washburn A style
    2. German un-named two point
    3. Gibson F-9 prototype
    4. Collings Mt2
    5. Brunkalla F-5
    6. Brunkalla F-5
    7. Brunkalla A-5
    8. Gibson DMM prototype #1 “Charlie’s”
    9. Brentrup F-5C
    10. Dudenbostel #14
    11. Wiens F-5 #40
    12. Givens A6
    13. Gilchrist F-5
    14. Arrow G-5
    15. Givens A-6
    16. Gilchrist F-5
    17. Stiver F-5
    18. Stiver A-5
    19. Stiver A-5
    20. Hopefully a Campanella

Happy Holidays!
    Dem

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Demetrius For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I'll play along here! Too many to list that have gone but here are the keepers for now anyway? Some that went: Many Gibson F-5's, Gilchrists, Paganoni's etc...
    "KEEPERS"
    December 1st 1924 Loyd Loar signed Gibson F-5 with Virzi-all original and a very refined delicate voice, hardly played/great condition and came from a pawn shop in the 1990's. with a very nice Loar limy Green case. Has opened up and sounds a whole lot better than when I first bought it over a year ago!

1926 Gibson F-5 Fern-all original and powerful, found in the middle of a room in the 50's in/around Washington DC by a cleaning lady that was headed for the trash with a bunch of junk left by the previous tenant so she kept The Fern and saved till the 1970's and sold it to the Music Emporium when it was located in Pennsylvania. Has a Loar style green lined case.

1934 Gibson F-5 Fern-all original and the best 30's 5 I've played thus far! Original American Beauty Loar style case-near perfect, came from Mr.Dawg Grisman's collection. Originally went to Canada as an export model with a Gibson sales rep.

1934 Joe Wilson F-5ish copy, historical and unique-getting fixed by David Harvey "should be a killer!" Needed neck set but Dave had to cut a trad. dovetail as neck and block were basically one piece, Also he has to put in some light Loar style tone bars as there was no top bracing at all, also will need all new hardware and new fret board with replica inlays! Could be the first Gibson type copy? This was passed around a ton but nobody ever put any $ in her so I seen the potential in her so I decided to get her up and a going! David said for sure a 1934, has varnish finish and built by someone who had great knowledge of violin building techniques!

1935 Gibson A-50 elevated board-odd as has a bigger body than most all the same elevated board F-hole A-50's? David H. did a neck set and put a radius board on her, Sounds like a period F-5 believe it or not! Scary good! David said this one sounds better than a load of 30's F-5's he's played and couldn't believe how well this one sounded.

2017 Gary Vessel Loar tribute F-5 Clone-scary great Loar replica in every way with a Virzi, discussed a few years ago here on the forum in great detail! Gary got this one very accurate and correct in just about everyway!

1986 William H. Smith Sr. F-5 "Gramps best work!" A very fine made F-5 with a black top and a aluminum saddle all made by Grandpa Big Bill!

1924 Gibson Tenor Lute-original and rare! There may be only about 35 of these and a good handful have been converted to Mandolas as these do have a Mandola body-there are a few A style "H-1" dolas from the 1930's and they have the exact TLute bodies!

1924 Gibson Tenor Lute to Mandola conversion by Gary Vessel, very dark sounding, black top, gold pearl block inlays "saved from almost certain death as she was very rough when I found her! Cracks, loads of little brad nails pounded in the sides and back into neck block area! Gary did her some justice and breathed some new life in this one and what a fine Mandola. I found a 1923 Gibson A-3 white top cream pick guard for this one and helps set off the black top Gary put on this baby-he Varnished finished this one as well.

1958 Gibson F-5 with Randy Wood treatment, new neck to my specs, and a full internal re-grad and new tone bars to the correct Loar 5 specs! A HOSS! I picked up at a deal because it had a very poor re-neck so I figured this would be a great candidate for Randy to give it his treatment and after a bit over a two year wait it sure was worth that wait!

1935 Gibson F-12-original and rare, maybe 1 of 4 left original, Hardly played, same tuners as the period F-5, has the typical treble dryness crack for years of sitting!
    1939 Gibson F-7-original and to me the 39's stand out as I've had F-7's from all years/I believe I've had 7's from every year except the few 33's I've only seen and the 39's for some reason are all spectacular and stand out!

1939 Gibson F-7 conversion, a freak and my Loar Buster, no re-grad just a Randy Wood 5 scale neck! Dawg played and loved this one and said he'd gig with this in a heartbeat, best conversion I've ever had or played. I bought in 2002 "Maybe" and I really could've stopped there on my sound quest as its that spectacular!

1937 Cromwell F-style "Gumby" 1 of 7 made I believe, tone is awesome, volume OK but a bit overbuilt with heavy back brace and top is X-braced "I think anyway?" Just a neat Gibson budget brand mandolin, rare and has a great tone and vibe!

1935 Gibson A-50 with elevated board that needs some work but has the bigger body like my keeper above? I've had many of these and don't know why a few of these have a slightly bigger body? David Harvey mentioned that maybe a few of these had the work outsourced to Stromberg or the like? That was news to me and wasn't aware Gibson did this? This one needs a neck set and re-fret and new bridge as well but if its like my keeper this should be a killer mandolin!

As for guitars I still have my first Vintage guitar I bought in 1997 a 1957 Martin D-18 with an Adirondack top! Great Martin D-18!
    2001 Martin Clarence White signature edition D-18 with Adirondack Top and quilted Mahogany back and sides
    2001 Fender Clarence White signature edition B-bender Custom Sop Telecaster
    1995 HD-28 "Kit" I bought from Martin when they sold kits, I built with help from my Dad, grandpa Big Bill, and My Uncle Dick Smith-great sounding guitar
    2010 ish Fender Jap, Pink Paisley Telecater
    1970ish Martin D-35 that was my Gramps that was in a car wreck so he put a 28 style back on it-it needs totally redone but since its a family guitar its a keeper that I'll re-do someday?

I have many more mandolins and guitars but they are on the chopping block to sell/swap to others that may enjoy them! So here is my drool worthy list of goods above for you'll to have a look see at, ENJOY!

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

I have owned mandolins off and on with gaps in between, but here it goes:

Rover A Style (early in college)
    Kentucky A-250 (college)

10 year break in between

Washburn A (The one that got me started again)gave to a friend
    2002 Gibson F-9 (The one I should have never sold)
    2010 Gibson F-5G (The one I should have never bought)sold
    Mid-Missouri Flat-top OO (still have)
    1996 Flatiron Picker Prototype (really cool Mahogany mando concept) sold
    2018 Ratliff R5 Country Boy (Best Mandolin Yet, Audey made a keeper) still have
    2002 Gibson A9 (I will let you know when I get it in)
    2018 Ratliff R5 "Country Boy"
    Mid-MO Model OO
    2002 Gibson F9 with radius fretboard.

I reckon I've had about 500 in the last 50 years including 230 made in China for me. I've had 27 Gibsons (including 7 F4s). Sold them all. I'm now looking for a Gibson F4. Self confessed MAS condition.

Having said that when I get it, that's the end of MAS. 100% certain.

Just for fun.

Aria 2 point (plywood top eventually collapsed)
    Schofield F (a gift that needed work, gave it away)
    1920 Gibson A ($250 at an auction, sold)
    1993 Stiver A (sold)
    Gibson EM 150 (a freebie, total beater campfire mando, my grand daughter can't hurt it)
    Kimble A (F hole, crushed by a car)
    KimbleBB25 (#2, on consignment)
    2002 Heiden F (#45; very likely the end of the list)

Merry Christmas to all,

Bill

This is my long list of mandolins

Scaggs F5 1992 (Yes I made this one)
    Cliff Sargent F5 1994 (Cliffy was my good bud)
    Gibson Fern 2000
    Ellis Tradition F5 2018 (I'm done)
    "Everything affects Everything"

Ellis F5 Tradition #450
    J Bovier Custom Shop F5T+

http://www.p2pamps.com

Just two. 1923 Gibson A bought in 1983 and Weber Fern bought new in 2004.

Off we go...

1909 Gibson 3-point F4 Mandolin (torch & wire)
    1914 Gibson K1 Mandocello
    1915 Gibson H2 Mandola
    1919 Gibson F4 Mandolin
    1924 Gibson A2Z Mandolin
    1927 Gibson H4 Mandola
    1980 Gibson F5-L Mandolin

17. The following members say thank you to Brian Ebie for this post:

Surprisingly short list -

'80s Kentucky A style - loaned to a kid interested in mandolin and didn't get it back
    Borrowed my Dad's Givens/Taylor kit made mandolin for years
    Then I acquired Blondie: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...got-a-new-home
    MAS struck and traded Blondie for a 2010 Gilchrist Model 5 - http://www.gilchristmandolins.com/670 - still have it
    While still loving the Gil a Monteleone Style B came available and I snatched it up - since traded
    Acquired a really good Kentucky KM900 - since traded
    Acquired Gilchrist Model 3 - http://www.gilchristmandolins.com/522 - still have it

I don't know that I'll keep both Gil's long term, they both qualify as end of the rainbow instruments, but they are quite different in voice. I do expect I'll add an electric at some point and either an octave or mandocello.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Seale For This Useful Post:

I have never thought of using the words "mandolin" and "sell" in the same sentence. Unusual concept, but just doesn't work for me.

21. The following members say thank you to MandoHog for this post:

1. Godin
    2. Alrite (needs work)
    3. Eastman MD514
    4. Elkhorn F5
    5. Eastman MDA315 - Mandola, got for Christmas as a temp.

My wish list is much longer
    10 String doing research :-)
    Tyler White F5, waiting
    Tyler White Mandola, longer wait
    Brian Dean Grand Concert, even longer :-)
    Yam Kerman (I'm dreaming) :-)
    Apitius
    Paul Lestock - Arrow Electric 5 String

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I find it a healthy exercise to revisit this thread temporarily. In recent years, I’ve been somewhat heartened by the lack of turnover after some turbulent early years:

1998 Mid-Missouri M0 (sold to Dan)
    1984 Flatiron 1N (sold to Rex)
    2009 Redline Traveler (traded to Josh)
    2007 Gypsy Vagabond (sold)
    1924 Gibson A
    2005 Collings MT (sold to Richard)
    2013 Pava (sold to Jim)
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2013 Silverangel A (sold to Catherine)
    2009 Stanley A5 (sold to Don)
    2013 Redline Traveler (sold to Dan)
    2015 Black A2-z
    2017 Poe Scout
    2011 Passernig F5 (sold to Tom)
    2019 Hogan F5
    2017 Forster Big Celtic F
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I love this thread as I can show my wife I am actually way in the minor leagues here

1914 Gibson A1
    1920 Gibson F4
    1925 Gibson H1 mandola
    1972 Harmony Batwing (beater for the office)
    1976 Kay electric mandola
    1996 Flatiron Scout mandola
    1996 Flatiron Festival
    2000 Ratliff mandocello
    2000 Celtic Star mandola
    2002 Weber Gallatin Octave
    2002 Weber Gallatin mandola
    2003 Yellowstone mandola
    2005 Rigel G110
    2006 Macica F5
    2009 Collings F5
    2011 Weber Black Ice Octave
    2016 Goldtone mandocello
    2018 Eastwood electric octave

there are a few I would sell or trade and others I probably wouldn't.
    I have been through 2 Freshwater octaves, 1 freshwater mandocello, 1 Petersen 10 string, 1 Bard song octave, 1 Washburn F5, 1 Kentucky A, 1 Ovation mandocello, and one unnamed A.

plus I have an electric oud, a hammered duclimer, a very nice classical guitar made in Madrid ( by Andres Martin), a Fender 12 string, a Kay F hole guitar, and a Goldtone Resophonic bass.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Loar 500 traded + cash for
    Loar 700 (sold)
    Northfield F5 traditional traded for
    Northfield F5 modern sold to fund
    Blevins E5 sold to a friend
    Weber Yellowstone Custom '21 sold to fund
    Rose #43

10+ years of steady MAS progression = a wild and enjoyable ride. Never could have imagined how mandolin blessed I have been and continue to be.

Samick A - gleefully traded away and rarely remembered
    Kentucky KM675 - traded with fondness
    Epiphone MM30 -gave away with love
    Eastwood mandocaster - traded to fund
    Ovation MM68 - traded to fund
    Weymann Mandolute - sold with love
    Rogue - for set up practice
    Pocket mando - wall hanger
    Washburn F - gave away
    Kentucky KM150 - traded to fund
    20’s Gibson Oval hole - sold with love
    Breedlove FF Legacy - sold
    Clark A5 - keeper
    Montana Lutherie Ranger - sold with love
    Montana Lutherie Ranger - keeper
    Clark Octave Mandolin - keeper
    Epiphone 4 string Mandobird - keeper
    Weber Gallatin F - keeper
    Weber Big Sky - keeper
    Last edited by Lucindalin; Jan-04-2023 at 11:35pm. Reason: Typo

Well I've only dabbled in mandolin off and on for a few years now so I don't have the pedigree of mandolins I've owned that most folks on here have. Now guitars, I've owned, sold, traded and collected a bunch over the years. I'm hoping I don't go nuts buying mandolins like I have guitars, but I know me so I'm not holding my breath. I bought my first mandolin in the early 90's, but I've never kept one very long. I think this time it's going to stick because I'm really enjoying it at this point. So here's the progression the best I can remember.

80's Brazos F Style
    '15 Washburn M108SW
    '21 The Loar 310F
    Eastman MD315
    Eastman MD315 Mandolin
    '59 Gibson J-45 "Spot"
    '21 Gibson LG-2
    '94 Taylor 710
    '18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
    '22 Martin CEO7
    '15 Martin 000X1AE
    Fender Roadworn USA P-Bass "Big Al"

www.reverbnation.com/MickKyteMusic

Blog Entries

Well I always traded up and up as I started off with some real cheap and hardly playable instruments so here are the most recent, I swapped a 1934 F-5 Fern. a Paganoni F5-DL-6 for the "Rybka" Loar H-5 signed on Jan.7th 1924 . Swapped a 1935 F-12 a 1924 Gibson Tenor Lute and a 1939 F-7 for a Loar signed Dec.1st 1924 L-5 guitar. Swapped a 1928 F-5 Fern for a Feb.18th 1924 Loar F-5. Swapped an early 1938 Flowerpot F-5 for a 1921 Cremona K-4 Mandocello. Traded some cases for one of those neat late 1920's early 30's Regal Octophone. That's all the recent "within a handful of years"

This is basically how I traded up to get my dream instruments. Thought big from the start with goals "it took many years, well decades" as I never had too much $, I started with cheapies and then just traded them for something better, then better and yes then better. All my keepers are players, some are refinished, as I wanted them to play and enjoy not to look at so I play em and take em everywhere-even camping! You play em they WILL get ware and tare, and I sweat now after open heart so I sweat on em! I would never want a pristine instrument for a keeper, just not my thing. Ya'll set goals with instruments, same as practicing to get better at whatever instrument you play. Best O' Luck

29. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

I'm pretty new but have swapped around a little while I explored what I really wanted.

Kentucky KM-150 x2 (Don't bid on multiple auctions, no matter how good the price is XD) both sold
    2022 Sonny Morris F5 - my main mando, awesome for bluegrass
    1995 Flatiron 2MB - Great little flat top that I use for old-time. I'm thinking I'll sell it though, to fund a:
    2013 Don Kawalek Irish style redwood/mahogany flat top. Got to visit Don last week and this one just sang so beautifully.

I haven't decided on whether I want to keep or sell the Flatiron yet though.
    I guess I'll just stay right here, pick and sing a while...
    2022 Morris F5 #482, 1995 Flatiron 2MB, 2013 Don Kawalek flat top, 2004 Eastman 805

Since the early 80's:

Epiphone MM-50 - friend still has it
    Carl Cates "Bellmaster" F-5 - owned since late 90's
    Ron Cole RC-5 #9 - owned 20+ years and traded
    Pavel Sucek F-5 re-topped by Skip Kelly - seldom played now, thanks to NF
    Northfield 4th Gen F-5 #14 - MAS cure that is already starting to fail
    1924 Gibson A Jr - great player, but not much of an oval guy

32. The following members say thank you to Bacfire for this post:

I think this is how it's gone:

Acoustics:
    Kentucky KM-150 - sold
    The Loar LM-520 - sold
    Eastman MDO-305 - sold
    Zeta Acoustic – sold
    Weber Absaroka - sold
    Weber F hole Gallatin Mandola - traded
    Weber D hole Gallatin Mandola – traded
    Weber A20 OM - have
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop - have
    Lafferty Bouzouki - have
    Skip Kelley A5 - have
    Collings MT Mandola – have

Electrics
    Eastman 8 string Ricky electric - selling
    Kentucky 4 string KM300 electric - selling
    Jerman 4 String electric - have
    Jerman 5 string electric - have
    Manndolin 5 string electric OM - have
    Manndolin 8 string electric OM - Have
    Epiphone 8 string Mandobird - have
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

34. The following members say thank you to urobouros for this post:

I could have sworn I got involved in this closer to when the thread originated, but apparently I did not. So here goes:
    Washburn oval hole given as a Christmas give by my wife- Still have though it doesn't get out much
    Loar 520- Sold
    Morris A5 #393- very reluctantly sold. Twas a great mandolin
    Inspired by my time in Sonny Morris' shop, I built an A5 that I still have. Sonny and Matt Ruhland were both very helpful in that process.
    Ruhland A5 #41- This one isn't going anywhere. It has truly satiated my MAS since getting it almost 3 years ago
    Eastman 305 Octave- Bought on a whim at Wintergrass and sold pretty quickly
    Ruhland #41
    My unnamed build #1
    Various other stringed and percussion tools

36. The following members say thank you to Willem for this post: