Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who has just one?

Default Re: Who has just one?

Up until yeterday evening I could have said that I had only one...a Kentucky KM272.

Today I have two, after taking delivery of a new Girouard Ensemble A from TME.

I can rationalize 2, 'cause of the different shaped holes. But if I ever get to 3, I'll know I have a problem.

2. The following members say thank you to Frost for this post:

How about I am owned by my mandolins? No? I own a mandolin, but the mandolin has "pets" (other mandolins.) Perhaps I have an addictive personality.......

I had two for a couple years, but now I just have my Ratliff R-5: my first mandolin and the one recommended to me many years ago by a very helpful staff member at Elderly Instruments. If only I were good enough to justify owning such a great mandolin. . . .

Me!

I have just one. (A mandola is not a mandolin, right?) That's probably not a permanent thing, but for today, just one.

7. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

DougC 

I am an inveterate collector, but I also live in an apartment, so I have so far limited myself to one of each type of instrument. Best way to keep my wife from skinning me.

Congrats on the Girouard, Frost. I just looked it up. Wow, that looks like a sweet mandolin.

I just have the one, a Kentucky KM-252. Working saving up for my second here in the next few months.

I think this thread is super interesting. I love hearing about what everyone has and is playing!

10. The following members say thank you to MoreThanQuinn for this post:

Frost 

I only have 1 Passernig F, 1 Old Wave oval A, and 1 Old Wave C# Mandola.
    mick meinsler

it has been thirty years since i had just one mandolin

Only one mandolin..... Ratliff RA-5......
    Clark Octave Mandolin

[Full disclosure though..... 9-acoustic guitars. 3-electric guitars. 3- fiddles and a Harmonium.... so I'm just as sick as anyone else]

14. The following members say thank you to michaelcj for this post:

DougC 

"Who has just one ?" raises another question. Who has one? As in how many people out there in the general population own a mandolin? I imagine that most everyone who plays mandolin owns at least one and if you own more than one now, at some point you only owned that first one .

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    If only I were good enough to justify owning such a great mandolin. . . .
    If you bought it fair and square and you enjoy playing it... you are good enough to own it.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

17. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Back in my Jurassic period, I ony had one mandolin. First a bowlback which I traded for a Vega cylinder back which I sold to a friend so I could buy my first Gibson (1919 whiteface A-3) which was my only mandolin through my formative mandolin years. Then I bought my snakehead and decided I needed to sell my A-3. And I played only that Gibson A-2 snakehead until I needed some fretwork done on it. At that poiint, I realized that I was a mandolinist, playing in a band or two as well as the New York Mandolin Orchestra and I needed a backup. Luckily, Flatiron just came out with their carved top A's in 1983 and I bought one of the very first ones from Mandolin Brothers.

That was the end of "just one."
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Well, I guess I have just one.....one F style, one A oval hole, and one A ff hole.......so.........
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

20. The following members say thank you to Mike Scott for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rgray View Post
    Me!
    same
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Mandolin was not my first stringed instrument, so I've been through "acquisition syndrome" before and am cured. I learned to pare down on my first instrument to just one, so when I went on to guitar I was satisfied with just one nice guitar and the same with mandolin. I guess I got it out of my system. If I ever get good enough to upgrade my mandolin further, I'll rehomed my perfectly nice a-style Bend Breedlove.

I am on my 8th mandolin since I was 13 yrs old. I still have 5 of the 8. I am considering selling 1 or 2. I have my eyes on a Northfield Octave mandolin that I have been lusting after...
    ManjoMan

I have owned several--one at a time ! I now own an Ellis F5, an Ellis A5, a soon to be delivered F5 Wienman and a soon to be delivered Girouard A oval. This is it and no more !

I have just four. But what I would really like to own is a talented luthier/repair person, to keep them all in top playing condition.
    When 'good enough' is more than adequate.

I have just one and love it just fine. No real MAS symptoms at this time.

Wow, is it really five years that I’ve been borrowing this 90 dollar Stagg?
    Soon. It’s gonna be so cool to play a mandolin...
    and now you guys know why I don’t like to post videos.

Just one here, went through a raft of them for a few years but settled on my Lebeda Jazz Supreme. About 6 months ago I bought a Kentucky A, very nice, brought it home, changed the strings, played it for about 20 minutes, sold it a month later, made 50 bucks, lesson learned. Everytime I think I want another, I go play mine....only play one at a time....amps..electric guitars, a whole other story

Searching for the Sound

well, one acoustic and one electric ... they ARE pretty different
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

Just one. Started the mandolin journey a little over 18 months ago with an MD315, and recently sent that off to another new player so it could continue to bring more into the fold. Replaced it with a wonderful 2000 Weber Bitterroot F that I am really loving.

I dream of getting a Givens or Kimble A, though, so I may increase that inventory to 2, if I can find a way to justify it to the House Accountant, who is very understanding of these things.

Also have two bass guitars (my primary instruments), a Fender Telecaster and an old Yamaha FG 180 acoustic.

And last week I checked out an old standup bass from the instrument library at Taborgrass, just to make things interesting...

I only have one, my Collings MT. Only one guitar too, my old Larrivee. I find that multiple instruments distracts me from the music and it becomes more about the gear. YMMV.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post: