Thread: Underappreciated

Default Underappreciated

I always liked this lineup for The Unit, with Jimmy Gaudreau playing mandolin and singing harmony. You don't hear much about Jimmy Gaudreau these days. I've got a couple of his recordings and always liked this playing, particularly with Tony Rice. He always brought some extra energy. I've never seen an interview with Jimmy Gaudreau....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMm3...&feature=share

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to doc holiday For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Underappreciated

Try Jimmy G's early Country Gentlemen, II Generation, Country Store, JD Crowe, back to Gents thats about all the old stuff I can think of right now. Well if you don't know about
    them recordings you can find them on YouTube, there is a Japanese guy that has all of them and way so much more from just about everyone, old records,live shows etc...

4. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Jimmy Gaudreau is is one of my favourite musicians in Bluegrass. The ''Jimmy Gaudreau's Bluegrass Unit - Live in Holland'' recording is superb.
    Here's one of my favourite tracks from it - ''This Morning at Nine''. The others are on YT as well,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

+1 for Live In Holland. That is a wonderful recording.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

===========

If I'm not mistaken, Jimmy's earliest recordings were in 1965 with a Connecticut band called 'Fred Pike, Bill Rawlings & The Twin River Boys'. It is well work seeking out, if you really want to dig into his roots . . . . .

I wasn't so much interested in exploring Jimmy's roots, as perhaps suggesting that a Jimmy Gaudreau interview would be of interest. Jimmy's played with the whose who of bluegrass music, & is a talented player. He's got lots of product on his website, playing with a variety of people, Moondi Klein, Wyatt Rice, Frank Vignola....it would be great to hear more about him.