Thread: F5-L?

I've browsed the forums and except for an occasional reference
    I've found very little information on the Gibson F5-L.
    Everybody seems to be discussing Gibsons in a
    lower price range.

The price is about what I am willing to play. The main
    competitors might be a Collings
    or a Duff. I am curious as to volume, sustain,
    and general character of the Gibson. If they're
    consistent enough! How does an F5-L compare
    (in these terms),e.g., with a Collings (which seems to be
    the hottest stuff today, according to some dealers).

I play no particular style. I tend to play in higher positions.

And, incidentally, I don't live in the US.

You will get a lot of opinions on this. Not living in the US, you are likely to have to make your decision without having played any of the intruments mentioned.

Having playing examples of all of the mandolins you mentioned, if I were in your situation I would go with a new or used Collings F. Consistency is the first thing. I think everyone who has played the ones you mentioned would agree that you may end up with a mediocre F5L, and you may get a mediocre Duff, but you will not find a "bad" Collings. Second, the Collings probably has the more versatile tone of the three. Last, all Collings are set up to have a great action up and down the neck which would appear to be a priority for you.

I have recently played two Duffs that came off the bench within a couple of months of each other. One I loved, and one didn't strike me as being anything special. Duff really tries to recreate the dry Bill Monroe-style tone, so it's maybe not the most versatile of the choices. Both of the Duffs I played had a good, low action. The Duff is the only mandolin you mentioned that comes with a varnish finish. Some people believe that varnish-finished instruments mature in tone in a faster, better fashion, while some think that's hooey. If you live in a humid climate, you won't want varnish because it's not as durable as laquer. The sunburst on the Duff is a vintage-style snot-greenish yellow-to-black that you would either love or hate.

I'm not a huge fan of Gibson mandolins, but there are people who own recent F5L's that are thrilled with them. More than anything, realize that these mandolin are also meant to recreate the vintage dry sound that most bluegrassers go for. The tone may not be as rich in overtones or as balanced as the Collings tone. That doesn't sound like what you are looking for, but I could be wrong. The Gibson would be voiced for a bigger. louder bluegrass chop than the others.

Of course these are all generalizations but they're based on my first-hand experiences with each brand.
    Passernig #42

come on Mike..tell us how you really feel....

Alright dadgummit just get a BRW!!! You'll save a lot of money and you'll never regret it #

Passernig #42

I recently played an F5L back to back with an F9 the tone of both was real close to one another. Then Lawson let me play his Doyle Lawson. In my opion it was by far the best sounding one of the three. If I was to buy one the Lawson would be the one.
    "Mandolins are an Illness" Conrad Deislar

Just go for the Fern Gibson, It is what all the others are copies of anyway...get the real deal.

Just fanning the flame a little

I am a Huge supporter of Gibson,but also have owned a Collings A in the past 2 years and can say that they are
    awesome mandolins.I actually have bought and traded mando's for several years and will say that I wish I would have kept the Collings A.They are 2 different instruments but both of equal quality which have different characteristics and features....if you like traditional bluegrass The Gibson is the way to go everytime.
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)

Peter, I would try and play as many mandolins in your price range as you possibly can. Now, if you live in an area where that is impossible, then you'll have to go on user reviews. I'd also try and deal with a dealer or person that will allow you a few day trial. I've never played a Collings F or A, but I've heard good things about them. I have owned an F5-L, an F9, and still own a Gibson Sam Bush. From what I've read, the Collings will have a very consistent tone, but might not be the best choice for bluegrass, but good for a more versatile player. On the other hand, the Gibson lineup has that classic bluegrass chop, bell like highs, and they have a nice, dry, woody sound. Also, if you play bluegrass, you really don't want a lot of sustain, as playing a lot of notes on a mandolin with high sustain will make the notes run together and sound muddy in my opinion. I think Gibson shines in this area as the sustain is just about right to allow nice note separation while playing bluegrass passages.

I take it your budget is in the 5K US range, so don't limit yourself to only a few makers. There are many, many options in this price for you to look at. I think it should ultimately come down to your style, what you like to hear in tone, and the feel of the instrument. Enjoy the journey along the way and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun while making this choice.

Jim Watts

I've played a Collings F and an Gibson F5-L back to back. the Collings was new and the Gibson was several years old and well played in. Both were very nice, but different. I preferred the Collings for its great tone, volume, and uniformity up the neck. what really impressed me tonally is that you could play a note way up the neck and compare it to the same note on a higher open string, and they sounded remarkably alike. Not just pitched the same, but tonally alike, as well. I really like this in a mandolin because you can play the note where you want to play it without the sound being significantly altered. I think the Collings would be an excellent bluegrass instrument although if the tone you seek is quintessentially Gibson, then a Gibson will have that to a greater degree than the Collings. Either a good F-5L or a Collings is a wonderful mandolin and the main difference is likely to be subjective preference more than anything else. The Collings definitely did it for me but someone who said they preferred the F5-L whould certainly get no argument. I've played some other F5-Ls and Collingses but not back to back. My sense is that Collings sounds great when new whereas the Gibson takes more time to mature, but they both end up sounding great, if not exactly the same.
    Bob DeVellis

There is a used Collings F on the Cafe's Classifieds for under 6K right now (no financial interest here). That's the lowest price for a used one (price on a new one is $7200) I've seen so far. I never met a Collings I didn't like!
    John A. Karsemeyer

Flatbush Mandolins
    Victor Smith's mandolins have a good reputation and he is in denmark if you live in Europe.

Jim W, and Bradley I`m with you. For Bluegrass, Gibson is the one and only.
    Gibson MM #V-70335 5/2002

I agree for Bluegrass the Gibson is the better of the 2. The collings is great but not a bluegrass type of tone.

The term F5L is an old designation that has been discontinued. The similar mandolin is now called the "Fern". The sound and quality of the F5L will depend upon when it was made. The price will also reflect that. If you compare a new Fern to a ten or fifteen year old "L", there will be a difference in sound. The Ferns are very consistent and will have a wonderful warm clear tone all up and down the fingerboard. They will have a better chop in my opinion than the other brand. For single line playing, both will do well. However, the standard by which everyone measures is still the loar era Gibson and the Fern is much much closer to that. There are many wonderful mandolins on the market today, and while I hope you settle on Gibson, there are more than just Gibson, Collings, and Duff. Enjoy the hunt. That is often the most fun part of the whole process.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Thanks, everybody, for your response. Bluegrass was my original motive, decades ago,
    but I've branched out since then.
    I am not super-fast, I don't use many notes,
    and I use various slides and slurs.

I suppose my technique and phrasing are influenced by my main
    instrument, the guitar. I also chord a lot, but
    I avoid chopping.

As for Flatbush, I live in Sweden. A friend of mine
    in Stockholm plays one, and he's very satisfied with it.
    Jody Stecher in California recommends them, too.

I suppose the most scientific method will be to
    toss a coin! I have been in contact with Elderly
    Instruments, and they explained their return policy,
    which sounded reasonable. As I prefer a mandolin
    with a pick-guard they will send one along with
    the Collings, should I choose that model.

(Slightly off topic: wonder what kind of mandolin Doyle
    Lawson would endorse today. I've met him once,
    in Lexington, Kentucky, in 1969. He was playing
    with J D Crowe. He let me play his mandolin which I believe
    was built by some unknown local fellow. The action
    was way too steep for me, and the tone
    was VERY dry.)

Peter, Doyle has been a long time endorser of Paganoni mandolins. I'm not sure what their current relationship is, but I do know that Doyle now endorses his signature model Gibson mandolin. I believe the Gibson Doyle Lawson signature mandolin won't be in limited production, but be a regular model produced all the time, like the Gibson Sam Bush. I'll provide a link to Elderly Instruments for you to browse that particular model. Here's the Gibson Doyle Lawson Signature mandolin. I haven't got to play one yet, but I've heard Doyle play his and it sounds wonderful.

Jim Watts

I played one of them thar ferns today at the Special Consensus show that I went to down in Columbus, IN. Josh Williams recently left Special C and I can't fer the life of me remember the new mando players name...super nice guy..talked to 'im for about an hour after the show and in the breaks. I played his fern that Danny Roberts had signed, Todd somebody hooked him up with it for free as a promotional deal....wow is all I said and how can I do that...anyway, it was a great mandolin. I would have bought one today had somebody offered me one at that show. Although, my buddy Boyd, aka spud on here, has a Randy Wood and I gotta say it blew that Fern away in terms of tone and volume, but it's got some age on that Fern. Boy they sure are pretty though.....ah the wonderful age of mandolins.... and by the way, Special C was awesome....they were tight as ever and the new mando player whom I feel guilty about not remembering his name has a great tenor voice and plays a pretty mean mando too. Good Sunday fer me....
    42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

# # # :::::::

---Ryan Stackhouse---

I SAW RANDY GRAHAM PLAYING NEW FERN ABOUT A MONTH AGO

Is that his name? I can't remember. That fern sure is pretty though!

---Ryan Stackhouse---

Randy Graham plays with "Contentental Divide". Has played with the Cardinals, Quicksilver, and I don't know who else.

Ron Spears is the new mando player for Special C. Finally went to their website and found out. Very good guy and great mando picker too. We'll hear more about him I'm sure. He's got that endorsement with Gibson now too. Lucky guy...

---Ryan Stackhouse---