Thread: Rogue tailpiece replacement?

Default Rogue tailpiece replacement?

While tuning a G string on my RM100A this afternoon, its rivet popped out of the tailpiece. Is there a recommended tailpiece I can use as a replacement?

Another idea I had was to pass the loop end through the rivet hole, and then pass the string through the loop.

I've looked at a thread that suggested using one rivet for two strings, but I'm not sure that's a good idea, especially if the pressure of one string can pop a rivet.

Dick Dery

Default Re: Rogue tailpiece replacement?

It's a traditional stamped tailpiece, correct? If so, here are a few options:
    Stew-mac
    LMII
    Elderly
    The Mandolin Store

Elderly and The Mandolin Store are both Cafe advertisers, and they look like they have good prices. NFI.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    It's a traditional stamped tailpiece, correct? If so, here are a few options:
    Stew-mac
    LMII
    Elderly
    The Mandolin Store

Elderly and The Mandolin Store are both Cafe advertisers, and they look like they have good prices. NFI.
    Thanks

Dick

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I am not clear what rivet the OP is talking about,on a stock stamped tailpiece.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

The tailpiece on a Rogue RM 100A is clunky, with an ill fitting cover, .050 " thick stamped steel thing which is also nickel plated and it weighs a ton The rivets are posts that stick up under the cover. They look like the end of a small nail and they have a spot weld attachment. They will break off. StewMac makes a nice light weight stamped tail piece that works fine except the screw holes do not line up but the new tail piece covers up the old screw holes. I've done it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	433.7 KB 
ID:	165805  

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    The tailpiece on a Rogue RM 100A is clunky, with an ill fitting cover, .050 " thick stamped steel thing which is also nickel plated and it weighs a ton The rivets are posts that stick up under the cover. They look like the end of a small nail and they have a spot weld attachment. They will break off. StewMac makes a nice light weight stamped tail piece that works fine except the screw holes do not line up but the new tail piece covers up the old screw holes. I've done it.
    That's what it looks like. Thanks for the suggested fix.

Dick Dery

7. The following members say thank you to Dick Dery for this post:

The replacement tailpiece from Stewart MacDonald costs $24.00 + shipping. This is approx. half of the cost of your Rogue mandolin so I would recommend you do not throw any money at it. Try hooking two strings around one rivet post. If it works then, well great.

I agree that it really not worth it to put a bunch of money into a Rogue. Try this I saw on Amazon. Much cheaper and will work just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N4EIIK1/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1520728159&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=mandolin+tailpie ce&dpPl=1&dpID=416y5x97QeL&ref=plSrch

Also, I have the exact same tailpiece that came off of a Rogue I used to own. If you want it PM me and I’ll send it to you. I’ll never use it.