Thread: Just purchased Balalaika

Default Just purchased Balalaika

I purchased a Balalaika at an estate sale the other day. I didn't know what it was exactly but thought it looked pretty neat. I'm trying to find out who the maker is and what I have basically. it says 1976 on the inside and has a lot of Russian writing. It also has a emblem kind of like a octagon with 4 points inside of it and the letters CCCP. Any help in identifying what I have would be greatly appreciated. I have been listening to videos of people playing these and I am blown away. love this instrument. Thanks

2. The following members say thank you to grm for this post:

Default Re: Just purchased Balalaika

It is probably made at the Lunacharsky factory in St. Petersburg/Leningrad. I have one from the 1960s, they made mandolins and other assorted instruments as well, and luckily usually stamped year of manufacture. Is your strung with all steel or a combo of steel and nylon? I used a Roosebeck string set with the steel/nylon combo, once the steel A string wore out though I bought an equivalent gauge single Elixir string from www.JustStrings.com

4. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

Its a combo 1 steel and 2 nylon. I really didn't know anything about these and now that I have been researching I love the music played with them amazing

6. The following members say thank you to grm for this post:

CCCP = SSSR (Soviet era). Can you post a photo of the label or any other branding. There are some of us here who can at least read the Russian alphabet.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Here is a history of the Lunacharsky factory that is interesting reading, scroll down halfway if you don't read Russian: http://www.bostonbalalaika.com/lunac...toriya_ru.html Boston Balalaika is a good general resource for balalaika playing as well.

10. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

Let me see what I can do. Its tough because its on the inside of course. Thanks

Russian built instruments were built in government run factories to government specifications. One of the items on that label will be the specification number for the instrument. I'ts kind of hard for most of us to understand. I work with a young Russian lady that generally translates the labels for me when I run into them.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

13. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    I used a Roosebeck string set with the steel/nylon combo, once the steel A string wore out though I bought an equivalent gauge single Elixir string from www.JustStrings.com
    Quote Originally Posted by grm View Post
    Its a combo 1 steel and 2 nylon. I really didn't know anything about these and now that I have been researching I love the music played with them amazing
    You can use a .010 inch plain loop end steel string for the high A, and for the 2 E's, use a classical guitar G.

If you search the net there are a number of good free balalaika method books.

I love the instrument.

OP? does your have the full length fingerboard?

Domra adds that 4th string..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

16. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Domra adds that 4th string..
    And different tunings.

Prima balalaika is tune EEA, a unison and a 4th.

3 string domras are tuned in 4ths

4 string domras are tuned in 5ths

Quote Originally Posted by grm View Post
    Can you maybe help me?

Deb70: what kind of help are you looking for?

BTW juststrings.com carries two brands of balalaika strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    CCCP = SSSR (Soviet era). Can you post a photo of the label or any other branding. There are some of us here who can at least read the Russian alphabet.
    Typo there. That should be "CCCP means USSR." (Every Canadian of a certain vintage knows that from international hockey tournaments.)
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Ranald: I think i was just transliterating the letters not the meaning. That is OK.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

22. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Ranald 

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I have one. Bought it for $50, thinking I could tune it up and fool with it.

Wrong. Turns out there are two types of balalaikas: one for musicians, made to be played, and one for tourists, meant to be hung on the wall. The tourist ones look like real instruments but are unplayable. Grr.

And yes, CCCP was the Soviet Union.

24. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Deb70 View Post
    Can you maybe help me?
    I messaged you on Facebook I have photo of an engraved palate I’m hoping you can help me with. Will you check that out or even feel free to email me atbradshawrdkvs@yahoo.com

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ui4...BVydvay4yhopLg
    I’m new to this feed and not sure how to post a photo

Never heard of one until the movie Dr Zhivago came out. Beautiful sound !