Thread: Mandos at work

Default Mandos at work

A few months back I decided I had too many instruments at home, so the mandola came with me to work. I figured I could use breaks to work on scales, chords, learning the mandola fingerboard, etc. And then I got to thinking - what would my boss think if he saw me playing the mandola at work? (I work at at university, for what it's worth.)

A couple days ago, a student shows up in my office. "This is REALLY embarrassing," he says. "I have a job interview in an hour, and I have never tied a tie in my life." Now, anyone who has ever tried to teach someone to tie a tie knows that it's about impossible unless you can SHOW the person. But it's a Friday, and I'm wearing jeans and a button-down. No tie. I look around my office - and then it hits me. I grab the mandola, take off the leather strap, and use it to show the kid who then goes off and lands himself a job.

And now I will never have to worry about explaining to my boss why I have a mandola at work.

Not exactly mandolin content related, but it amused me so I'm sharing.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to trabb For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandos at work

Good story ......
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

4. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

I have one by my desk, but I work from home...

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

In that same situation I have tied the tie around my neck, loosened and removed it, and placed around the other's neck. It doesn't teach them how to tie, but it gets them to the church on time.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Still waiting to be able to take one to work (I need, shall we say, a travel version), but as to ties I am not embarrassed to admit mine has a hidden zipper and a permanent knot.

Makes catching the 4:15 airport shuttle some mornings just a little easier.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I enjoyed this!

Great story!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Quote Originally Posted by trabb View Post
    A few months back I decided I had too many instruments at home, so the mandola came with me to work. I figured I could use breaks to work on scales, chords, learning the mandola fingerboard, etc. And then I got to thinking - what would my boss think if he saw me playing the mandola at work? (I work at at university, for what it's worth.)
    A couple days ago, a student shows up in my office. "This is REALLY embarrassing," he says. "I have a job interview in an hour, and I have never tied a tie in my life." Now, anyone who has ever tried to teach someone to tie a tie knows that it's about impossible unless you can SHOW the person. But it's a Friday, and I'm wearing jeans and a button-down. No tie. I look around my office - and then it hits me. I grab the mandola, take off the leather strap, and use it to show the kid who then goes off and lands himself a job.
    And now I will never have to worry about explaining to my boss why I have a mandola at work.
    What kind of strap?
    Do you attach it to the headstock, or elsewhere?
    Is the strap suitable for playing bluegrass?
    Did you buy the strap on line or at a brick and mortar store?
    How many straps did you try before you pulled the trigger on that one?

11. The following members say thank you to jesserules for this post:

===========

I am a VERY lucky guy - I have a rehearsal room in the same building where I work . . . unfortunately for everyone else in the building, my breaks and lunch hours are often filled with with the terrifying sounds of my attempted musical endeavors.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Good story, and now you know what to do in case of a sudden official occasion when you left your tie at home..
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by trabb View Post

Maybe we should campaign for a " take your mandolin to work day " to go along with a " take your child to work day " that is popular in some cities !

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Great story!

I take mine to work everyday.

I work facilities management at a big church, and find myself with enough downtime that I can grab a 15 minute Mando and coffee break. Sometimes my duties are simply security related or just require me to host and be available, thus I’m left with lots of time to noodle with my Mandolin in my office. Otherwise, I try to spend at least a little bit of my daily lunch break playing.... my boss had even walked in on me playing and has given me an “it’s ok nod.”
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

I took a 4-string electric (Unicorn) to work a few months ago and bought a little headphone amp that I can blend in an external source (CD, MP3 player, youtube, etc) to play along with. I've only broken in out 2 times, but keep meaning to use it more often.

Great story and great cover bro!

I cannot bring a mandolin to work with me because quite simply I'LL NEVER GET ANYTHING DONE! Doh! Sorry for yelling, I get excited about pickin'.

Blessings

That was a good story. Thanks. As a university lecturer I always appreciate it when someone helps a student.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post
    I have one by my desk, but I work from home...
    Me too.

D