Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selecting a first step upgrade in the UK

Default Re: Selecting a first step upgrade in the UK

I'd been playing banjo for close to 20 years before i got my first 'real' Bluegrass instrument,my Stelling 'Bellflower''. I graduated to my first 'good' mandolin within 4 months of starting,having realised for myself,the truth in what JeffD posted above. To learn on,there's nothing better than ''the best''. You'll enjoy playing it more & more for longer,& in my own case,with my Stelling,i never learned so much so fast in my life. I wasn't going to hang around playing an 'also ran' mandolin for 20 years ( i was 60 at the time !).

I have 3 mandolins,all worthy of far superior players - but,i'm getting there,bit by bit,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

In the uk I’d advise holding off & saving to hit the £1000-£1500 mark and then make a decision / pull the trigger when you’re in that zone.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

well, that escalated quickly....was back into TAMCO, with my old trusty Ozark for comparison. Compared to all the Eastmans (Eastmen?!) tried, it shortcomings were quickly laid bare...

Took the time to compare 304, 305, 504, and 505 against my old Ozark 2250 - playability was night and day, and more so side by side. Before going in, I thought my preference had head towards the oval holes, but in playing myself, and also asking Trevor (who graciously indulged) to play them all at me , the winner ended up being the MD505. Even in my simple hands, it sounds quite responsive, and it was scary how much richer the sound was than the old mando it's replacing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2933.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	553.1 KB 
ID:	165766

Thanks for all the input - now, to go play the hell out of it, and not worry about upgrades for another 8 years or so...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danjec For This Useful Post:

Congratulations! Enjoy!

6. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

danjec 

Congrats! That looks lovely.

This thread has had me considering a similar leap from my Ozark all week. Probably need to wait until later in the year though.

8. The following members say thank you to chrisoff for this post:

danjec 

Quote Originally Posted by chrisoff View Post

This thread has had me considering a similar leap from my Ozark all week. Probably need to wait until later in the year though.
    When the time comes, you might be stunned by the leap with posher models. I’ve had mine for 8 years and was always happy with it, but was still shocked by the difference in the side by side comparisons. probably just goes to show what a sheltered life I’ve had so far, mandolin-wise...!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisoff View Post

As another who’s made the leap from an Ozark I’d encourage you to jump. The improvement in sound for me was incredible

Glad you're happy with it but I doubt you'll be able to wait eight years before buying another.

I blame Trevor for my MAS (I've bought six mandolins from him in the last sixteen years) and it's a good job his shop is 250 miles away!

Ray,

You need to move closer!
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

There's a shop in the town where I live which I know has a couple of the Eastman models in stock and it's taking a lot of restraint for me not to go down there for a gander tomorrow.

Going to have to content myself with playing some new tunes instead, at least until after child no 2 arrives next month

Awesome! I love the Eastman MD-505! Enjoy it!

15. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

danjec 

A 505 is a pretty solid instrument. Avoid playing instruments triple the cost and you should be happy.

Now after finishing that bit of nonsense, start a fund for your next step, for that next step will get you something you can play happily for life.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    Ray,

You need to move closer!
    I think you've had enough of my life savings Trevor and, in any case, I'm running out of space. I've just had a re-count and, including the GBOM and the mandola, I think it's actually seven! How about a TAMCO North!

A USED one will be about 2/3 of cost of a new one so that means a used one at £500 gets you a £750 mandolin. If you buy privately, get a friend who knows the game to meticulously check it out.
    Don't forget, a Wegen plectrum may cost £7 but it makes a £500 mandolin sound like a £1000 mandolin in my view. People raise their eyebrows at £7 for a plectrum but I've used them for guiatr and mandolin for 12 years and they are the best. I've tried all the Dawgs etc etc and Wegen is best. 2mm guage for Volume and Tone.

Jimmy P
    UK

I think you'll find he's now bought one!

There are, of course, people who would dispute whether Wegen are the best mandolin picks (Wegen make a number of different types and weights, some of which will feel and sound better than others.); try asking Blue Chip owners or those sold on Primetones.

The simple answer is that, just as with instruments, what might suit one person might not suit another.