Thread: Case question for flat top owners

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Case question for flat top owners

Hello all and thanks in advance for your knowledge!

I am loving my new Red Valley mandolin. It sounds incredibly rich and sweet!

However, being a smaller instrument it doesnt fit its current case very well. I am very grateful for the one that was provided during purchase though.

My question is: are There any cases that might fit that I could purchase or would it be easier to make some foam inserts for it current case?

Top 9.5"W and 12"L

2.125 deep at its thickest.

Thanks!
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

2. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Case question for flat top owners

I suspect the Red Valley folks could give you options, either as suggestions or maybe offers of a more expensive case. I recently scoured the internet looking for a case that I might use for that banged up waldzither and never even came close. I ended up buying a gig bag for a 3/4 guitar and stuffing an old towel or two in it to snug things up and provide extra padding. I suspect you could do better than me. Maybe a banjo-mandolin case?
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

The case I bought was a little to large so I bought some mini plush cushions to pad it out:

5. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

^ That's an awesome solution.

7. The following members say thank you to MoreThanQuinn for this post:

Might have to go custom on this. I too would like a case as small as possible with a snug fit, when I get mine. My Sawchyn Beavertail came with a fairly nice soft case/gig bag, but it’s rectangular and could be significantly smaller if it followed the contours of the instrument. The Beavertail (9 5/8” wide and 2” deep) and the Red Valley look to be very close in size, other than the shape being different. Probably almost the same air volume. Pretty small. A Fylde, for example, is much bigger, 11 1/8” wide and 2 3/8” deep.

Blog Entries

Perfect use of those orphaned and abandoned socks.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Right now I have some bubble wrap inside of a couple socks. It's functional and might be my best solution for now.

Finding a proper hard case for a flat top mando is a perpetual problem that doesn't seem to have a good solution. Luckily, my 1N came with an appropriately sized chipboard case (have no idea if this was the original) which itself fits snugly inside an A model TKL soft case. Together they're plenty sturdy enough for my needs, which includes camping and other mobile activities, but there is still some risk and I wouldn't use either alone outside of the house.

Sometime last year I did see a case online that seemed to have very similar dimensions to the chipboard and think I made a reply in a thread about it. I'll see if I can find it for reposting here.

Edit: Ah ha! Here it is. About an inch longer and deeper than mine so I can't guarantee the fit but it's pretty danged close: https://reverb.com/item/2037027-flig...se-with-handle

C.
    Last edited by Chris Daniels; Mar-03-2018 at 2:15pm.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

I guess padding is the solution.

I wonder if they supply the same case for the larger mandolins.

My problem is the opposite. Playing Brazilian bandolims which are wider than even standard carved or flattop American-style mandolins. Unless I want to order one from Brazil at probably exhorbitant cost, there is little I can do. Maybe get a resonator banjpo case with a long neck area.

Years ago there was an oddball case called (I think) Stonecraft that was extra wide and also came with padding (tho not as cute as the little emoji pillows above). Worked well for one of my bandolims.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I just a Hiscox case which fits my flattop perfectly. No sliding around and nice and snug fit.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Blog Entries

Zack, I have an empty flatiron brown chipboard case

You could ask where Bruce Weber got his cases from. Mine was made in Costa Rica. If you look at the top of the case in this photo you can see two curved rectangular pieces. These look like velour covered material, which is a heavy almost styrofoam-like material. It's crunchy in a way, which I think helps form a secure fit.

Get creative. Get some lush velour at a local fabric store, some styrofoam or dense foam material, cover that in the velour. Then glue that into the case similar to the was the photo is.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had the opposite problem with my flat top. It's wider than the internal measurements of the case, so I had to cut away some of the polystyrene padding and re-glue the fabric cover.

Hiscox has been mentioned before. I think they may be worth a try. Because of their design, they should keep your instrument from slipping even if it doesn't have typical dimensions. They are bulky, though.

Blog Entries

My Spira has some wiggle room in it's case so I just added padding with a fleece scarf. Bunched up around the end pin and the extra laid back up the neck.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    Hello all and thanks in advance for your knowledge!

I am loving my new Red Valley mandolin. It sounds incredibly rich and sweet!

However, being a smaller instrument it doesnt fit its current case very well. I am very grateful for the one that was provided during purchase though.

My question is: are There any cases that might fit that I could purchase or would it be easier to make some foam inserts for it current case?

Top 9.5"W and 12"L

2.125 deep at its thickest.

Thanks!

I don't know your budget or how/where you'll be transporting your mandolin. However, Colorado Case Company does a really nice job with custom cases and customizing cases.

http://coloradocase.com/hard-flight-cases.html

Nice folks as well.

Yep, I keep my Flatiron 1N in a TKL A style case with an old (but clean) t shirt rolled around the end. Have a little extra that I lie over the top, which snugs it up nicely. Not ideal, but I’m too cheap to go the custom route.

The chipboard case that came with the mandolin is a POS that wouldn’t protect anything; there’s essentially no padding in there. I kept it in case I ever decided to sell the 1N so I’d have something to ship it in, but can’t imagine ever actually doing that. If it were decent, Zach, I’d give it to you, but it really is a terrible case... probably needs to find its way into the trash, honestly...
    Chuck

Hey Zach,

Wondering if you ever got this figured out? And, if so, what you went with in the end?

I was at Dusty Strings today and asked them about cases for flat tops and he pulled out an A-style case (not built specifically for flat tops, but seemingly functional anyways) and put the Red Valley from the wall display in it. It seemed like a good fit. He wiggled it around a bit and it didn't seem like the Red Valley was jostling around at all inside. I think it was $100.

I've got this semi-figured out. I took some shipping paper and stuffed a couple un-used socks to fill some of the space. It works well and didn't cost a thing.

Thanks for the tip though. I might go up there to look at the cases and then use my current one for my (the) Loar A-shape.

Quote Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
    You could ask where Bruce Weber got his cases from. Mine was made in Costa Rica. If you look at the top of the case in this photo you can see two curved rectangular pieces. These look like velour covered material, which is a heavy almost styrofoam-like material. It's crunchy in a way, which I think helps form a secure fit.

Get creative. Get some lush velour at a local fabric store, some styrofoam or dense foam material, cover that in the velour. Then glue that into the case similar to the was the photo is.
    James is that your Y2K in there? I NEED your case, lol. I just got a Y2K and while it comes with a chipboard case that it fits somewhat okay in, I have a real Weber case on my Sage and the thing is amazing.

I emailed Weber, they directed me to Bruce, so now I'm waiting to hear back from him :P.