Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seagull S8 Mandolin

Default Re: Seagull S8 Mandolin

I actually have a tenor banjo with a pick holder built into the armrest. I do like the idea of a mint holder though
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I keep my picks in a Spiderman webslinger, so I can just shoot them into my hand whenever I need one.

LOL. You fellas crack me up!

The Acoustic Shop sent me a notice that they received a complete set of Seagull Mandolin Machine Heads from Godin Guitar, and would be posting them out tomorrow morning.

It was also requested that I remove the YouTube video showing the issue I encountered. Only posted that video to show them the issue I encountered, so removed it a while ago.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I actually have a tenor banjo with a pick holder built into the armrest. I do like the idea of a mint holder though
    Hmm... that is something I'd like to take a gander at.

Default Re: Altoid Containers

Well, I have been and will use the Altoids Smalls tin container for pick storage, for it is easier to access. Have one larger triangular that is just slightly larger that the canister, however it does not appear to bind when closing.

So far the Altoids Smalls container is working out the best as a mandolin pick container.

Picks that I have in the arsenal...

The large triangular one won't fit into the flip-end Altoids Arctic Strawberry tin...

BTW, these strawberry mints are D E L I C I O U S !!

So am sticking with the Altoids Smalls for the Pick Tin.
    Or at least until Altoids comes out with a more friendly pick tin, like perhaps a triangular shaped tin container?

Oh, and the Strawberry mints are thus far my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
    Was curious about adding some bling & possible function of an arm rest to the S8. Figured it might help move middle of the forearm outward more in the back. Then I discovered the bottom edge bevel that is about 9mm in...

Width in the back area is 39mm, mid-back is 43.5mm, 9mm inward bevel

So it appears that if someone wanted to add an arm rest/bling using the normal method this would not work, as those violin chin mounts are in 8mm from the edge. One would have to figure out a different base mount.
    I went back and forth with hill country armrests about this and gave it up as impossible
    Peter Kaufman violin
    Old Wave two point

Probably the only thing you could do would be to screw an armrest to the top of the mandolin. I would worry about cracking the top. I can't see how a clamp attachement would work. Maybe write to Seagull and ask them if they have any ideas.

Maybe there is some way to rig up an attachment to the endpin and a clasp on the other end similar to a Tone-Gard clasp.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

If the bottom had a deeper base shape other than a simple chin rest. Or create a trench in a base plate where a chin rest bracket could attach. Something to go back under about an inch or so. An ornate or filagree piece.

Then the top might have to be shaped different. It's not impossible. Takes someone that can think outside the box, or someone with inginuity.

Or... Foam tape the wooden armrest on top. Looks like the Seagull's pick guard has a thin double-sided material to hold it on.

Did see some arm rests for odder mentions and such that mounted from the side. Makes it look heavy that way though.
    Will try to find the photo when I get home from work.

Okay, the pick guard on the Seagull S8 is not held on with foam tape. What gave me that impression was some white material protruding from underneath the edge of the pick guard. Unsure what it was, perhaps a scratch cover? Anyhow, the pick guard appears to be glued down onto the surface.

The armrest I was referring to ended up being a Weber version with a tail piece attached to it. Still, an arrm rest could be attached to the side, although personally I would not be putting any screws into mine ... adhesive tape maybe.

Seen of a guitar/banjo forum of an arm rest that was glued over the top edge. Would that not dampen the sound board?

All one has to do is figure out a different base plate/design to go an inch so, maybe have some felt to go between the mount and the bevel, and cinch it down like all the others.
    Or... take two parts that goes into the wood, double them together, and put one set of arms into the arm rest and the other to a different base or another wooden piece to act as a base & possibly and a tone guard between player's body and the mandolin. What ya call those other things, tone guards? Then you would have an armrest & a wooden version of a tone guard kind of. :P

Default Re: My Seagull S8 Mandolin

My Seagull S8 Mandolin Had some sunshine at church today. Recorded some songs, took a few static photos.

The official Seagull S8 Gig Bag

Had this mandolin strap created originally for the Weber Y2K6, but then changed the type of leather to where it would match both the Weber & Seagull. Then went and put it on the Seagull. Will probably punch an extra hole in the strap for the Weber's amp/pin one of these days.
    Henry Bojorquez made this mandolin strap. Acquired from his Esty storefront. Suggested he might want to put an advertisement over here as well. I like this lighter weight strap compared to others I've seen online.

Quote Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
    Well, I have been and will use the Altoids Smalls tin container for pick storage, for it is easier to access. Have one larger triangular that is just slightly larger that the canister, however it does not appear to bind when closing.

So far the Altoids Smalls container is working out the best as a mandolin pick container.

Picks that I have in the arsenal...

The large triangular one won't fit into the flip-end Altoids Arctic Strawberry tin...

BTW, these strawberry mints are D E L I C I O U S !!

So am sticking with the Altoids Smalls for the Pick Tin.
    Or at least until Altoids comes out with a more friendly pick tin, like perhaps a triangular shaped tin container?

Oh, and the Strawberry mints are thus far my favorite.
    I like lemon drops myself. Years ago, I got some picks in a commemorative tin box with Jimi Hendrix on the cover. I've used it ever since, but it's getting a bit worn now. I have my eyes on a Beatles Sgt Pepper tin now.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

About the armrest, it seems to me you could take a typical mandolin armrest, attach a small plate of wood to the brace and use hide glue to affix it to the side of the mandolin. That way, it's good and solidly attached and if you ever need to remove it, a little applied heat will accomplish that.

Anyone know what gauge the strings are on these types on mandolins?

Had D'Addario mediums on the Rogue and they felt like they wanted to dig into my fingers. The OEM ones with the Seagull do not seem to dig in, but then too I have some calluses built up ... although they were getting soft cause been arguing with the computer that last 4 days/nights.
    Playing the Seagull has kept my sanity, and helps me to clear the mind and focus better. It is amazing how instruments make us happy.

Godin Guitars sent out a pair of tuner knobs the other day. And an invoice came in today. They want $5 for them tuner knobs! But they did not charge me, just showed the price per item on those.
    The tuner head(s) should be arriving today, although I've not had any issues with string slip on that one wiggling tuner.

A pair of machine heads arrived from Godin Guitars! They even put in extra screws. Was only expecting a single side.
    In between 3 jobs at the moment, so will post a photo maybe later?