Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seagull S8 Mandolin

Default Seagull S8 Mandolin

The Seagull S8 mandolin arrived today from Canada. Did not bother tuning before leaving for work, although did play a bit (off key) to see how she sounded. Was quite impressed!

This a reasonable facsimile of the Seagull S8, but mine was different from the Reverb photos as the back of mine has a lovely birthmark on the lower-left side on the back.

She's got unbelievable sustain! OMG Quite a lot of loudness from a skinny package, although more of a brighter tonal overall, every string RINGS true!!

Did notice that the fret wires were not as pronounced as the Weber Y2K6's are, but she plays just fine. Seagull uses a man-made ivory nut & bridge & saddle. Sounds good, so far.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Default Re: Seagull S8 Mandolin

Did a quick inspection and all seemed well, then I went to tune the strings and an A tuner knob fell apart in my hand. That seems to be the only war wound I found, and could of been from shipping, vibration, climate changes, who knows.

After I registered the mandolin with Seagull I sent them an email inquiry as where to get another tuner knob replacement. Figured the same color type would be desired, although will probably visit Greif's Music Store to see if they have a spare knob for sale.

Broken tuner knob. It split again when I picked it up.

Tuner machine looks okay from what I can see. Used a Leatherman Skeletool to gently tune the string in.
    [/url]

Have a hand-crafted strap coming in tomorrow. Unsure which mandolin will get the new strap, and which will get the inexpensive one. Thinking I should of gotten a nylon one for quick adjustment.

That's a shame, hopefully that's the only fault and you can get a replacement quickly

Was looking at StewMac and shows Wavery style tuners with screws. Seagull tuner rods look to have two flat sides, and the Wavery are said to be square.
    Sent them a message too.

Figured I would look online to find a replacement if I knew what type to get. Ideas?

Pity about the tuner James. I got a Seagull recently too.
    There was a thread about it here.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...hlight=seagull
    David A. Gordon

6. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Looked around some more and StewMac had some Vintage knobs pop up on Google's scanners

So got out the manual calipers: 4 mm (5/32") shaft, 3 mm (1/8") between flats.

Had left a note with The Acoustic Shop telling them how great the mandolin sounds, and that I registered the product. Also stated that one of the tuner knobs broke and I had contacted Seagull Guitars to see how to get a replacement. Showed a couple of photos.

Mark P. said he contacted his sales rep for Seagull and they would be sending me out 2 tuner knobs directly, in case one of the others ever were to break. That's good service, especially since they are in Canada!

Greif's Music Store doesn't know if they have anything that would work in the meantime. Said they would probably have to place an order through Seagull. Not heard anything back from StewMac.

Reply from thanking The Acoustic Room for the extra service:
    Hi James,
    I have been in this business a long time, and I have always done whatever I can to make sure that the customer is taken care of.

YOU ARE VERY WELCOME!

Cheers,
    Mark Pongetti

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James Miller For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
    Was looking at StewMac and shows Wavery style tuners with screws. Seagull tuner rods look to have two flat sides, and the Wavery are said to be square.
    Sent them a message too.

Figured I would look online to find a replacement if I knew what type to get. Ideas?
    I highly doubt those are Waverly tuners on the S8. One set of those would cost more than you paid for the whole mandolin. Possibly those buttons would work but you may have to drill them out or modify. Your Seagull should be under warranty and they should replace the buttons or the whole tuner. That sounds like a manufacturing fault and you should not have to pay more money.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

After I got home last night had noticed the tuner knob I super-glued back together had cured. So put it back on and discovered why the knob broke. That tuner shaft got damaged in shipment and has a slight wiggle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlktwuTCERA

Contacted The Acoustic Room and offered to pay for any fees/charges they incur, cause it was not their fault it got damaged in shipment. Gave a link of a 30 second video I recorded last night. Mark said he would contact his supplier and make this right. Am quite impressed with this man's customer service!!

Edit: Firefox is acting up, not sure if the video is displaying or not.

Blog Entries

What a beauty! Congrats, James!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

After I got home last night had noticed the tuner knob I super-glued back together had cured. So put it back on and discovered why the knob broke. That tuner shaft got damaged in shipment and has a slight wiggle.

Contacted The Acoustic Room and offered to pay for any fees/charges they incur, cause it was not their fault it got damaged in shipment. Gave a link of a 30 second video I recorded last night. Mark said he would contact his supplier and make this right. Am quite impressed with this man's customer service!!
    Well, I am impressed with your service as a customer. You are buying a brand new instrument. The dealer will get reimbursed either for manufacturer problem or for carrier fault. How did the carrier break the button. Wasn't this properly packed for shipment? Most dealers would send you a new set of replacement tuners.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Was well packaged. Stiff higher quality cardboard box, doubled up inside. Was stuffed with brown paper wadding from bottom to the top. There was not wiggling around. Mandolin was inside the gig bag too, which has an elastic velcro closure around the neck. Did not notice any package issues inside or outside the box.

Professionally done I would say, and had documentation on 4 sides of the box & taped over - customs form, packing list, shipping label, and another container info one with my name & address on each. This package wasn't going to lose a label, the packager knew their business.

Initially did not notice any damage. It got here, was late for work, did a quick strum out of the box, then went to work. Was when I got home later that I went to tune her up is when one of the tuner knob fell apart in my fingers.
    Tried super gluing the knob back together but it didn't seem to be working.

Well, I work two jobs, had a little time to play the following day. Recorded using a GoPro HERO Session, then off to work, again.
    Was only last night that I found that the glue did set up enough to put the knob back on the tuner - and that's when I found the wiggle.

Did compare to the Weber's tuners, thinking that perhaps some play was okay. Weber Y2K had been used in a band for years! Those tuners were still tight.
    So... recorded a video to get a better look at it in case I might of been over-reacting.

Two messages to them:
    (Noon)
    Do I owe you anything extra for the tuner knobs. Did not want to put you out to any expense on something you had no control over. Let me know what charges you incur so I can make it right.
    Then after recording the video, was more or less looking for reassurance that perhaps this was not that big of an issue.
    Am by no means complaining or going to extremes. Am going to keep an eye on it, and if it needs serviced will see if can have it repaired locally if needed.

Had glued the tuner knob back together, and it works, but I doubt will last long. Perhaps long enough until the replacement arrives.
    As I was putting it back on I noticed the tuner shaft has some movement in it, so it was obviously hit/damaged in shipment.

I do NOT think it is a serious issue as the tuner appears to be working. It was just noticed when I was putting the glued-together tuner knob back on.
    Am only documenting it and asking for a second opinion. Am NOT requesting a replacement nor do I want you to think I am complaining - I am not. Just noticed it and passing it on for reassurance perhaps?

Here' is a 30 second video. The other tuners are fine. It was that one tuner that got hit with something during shipment.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlktwuTCERA

Looks like it will be okay? Yes?
    Mark replied with:
    Leave it with me. I will contact the supplier and make this right for you.

NO CHARGE, no worries

I’m curious how long the shipping to you took? I can see it came from Canada but it appears it took the better part of a week or more. Whenever I’ve purchased an instrument in need of shipping I’ve always made sure it left on an early weekday (mon or tues) and shipped overnight or 2-day. Not a guarantee of zero problems but in my (impatient) mind the less time the box is en route, the less time and hands to potentially damage something.

I understand you may not have wanted to pay 25% of the mando price in shipping cost for international overnight, I may have gone economy too on this one. Just an observation, I get anxious for my Cafe friends when an instrument is out for delivery. I even have boxes held at the local distribution center to avoid the box being on delivery trucks, especially in the cold months. That might not be an option or realistic too far out of major cities.

Hope things work out quickly for you. You’ve been patient and understanding. Not sure I would have been that kind, thanks for the reminder it’s just an instrument and this is fun
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

Took about a week. Was delayed a day because I asked about a fitted gig bag for it. And I got up too late too meet the shipper. - Shipping was $50. Weather also delayed it an extra day.

Locally this same mandolin was $400 + tax. No fitted gig bags were available from that dealer. If they had of the mandolin + bag + tax would of been $480. So I would of had to order a bag online + shipping.
    Canadian this was under $350 shipped.

Added up the figures... $318 for the mandolin + $39 for the gig bag + $50 shipping - exchange rate = $356.60 and a week's wait. So was close to $350, and far better than locally.

Dorsey Music in Nampa wanted $399 but claimed that Seagull did not make a case for this mandolin - and I knew better. Figured they were probably more into selling than anything else. There were no other dealers around that carries Seagull.

Recorded a couple of videos out on the steps of the veranda. Was quite busy this day, but took time to tinker with a tune that found me when was playing the Weber. So far three different 'pieces" have formed and am trying to figure out how to intertwine them pieces together.
    Am still learning and this tune gives me something to practice with at the least. I do try to play other songs, like the Drunken Sailor, Amazing Grace, and Blowing in the Wind. I really need to find better strumming patterns.

For this main part of the tune I hit the G strings for a base-like drone, then strum from D to E, and at times hit the E string on the way back up for effect. I like that 'ting" sound.

Another fella we jam with on Mondays has multitude of years experience and was showing me how to strum in a more melodic way, but I've not had time in the last week to figure out his pattern.

Seagull S8

Weber Y2K6

The other Jim's strumming. Me thinks he does the strings in pairs. Should of started recording sooner...

19. The following members say thank you to James Miller for this post:

Will have to say that the Seagull S8 gives a more livelier/brighter tone, more like that of a lute. It has a different flavor and not as bassy like the Weber. Is going to be fun jamming with them on Monday on the Seagull - providing job #1 doesn't interfere.

Oh, found me the near perfect pick case for $1.05 ... an Altoids Smalls can. Even the slightly larger triangular pick fits when poking the tip on the hinge side. Far cheaper than anything in the music stores.

Hmm... if only there were mini pick case stickers ...

James, good strategy -- Americans buying Canadian at a savings, even with shipping figured in! Usually, we hear it the other way around with Canadians having to pay more with exchange rates, etc.

22. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Yeah. I keep hearing about what Canadians have to pay for stuff. And when we can buy for them at a lower cost - they have to pay an enormous charge/fee. Grant Lamontagne of MultiTool.Org keeps reminding us about the exchange rate issues.

Besides, I'd rather buy American or Canadian. Seems all the wood materials for Seagull is sourced from Canada. And the S8 is known to be ruggedly built. What is amazing though, is the sound/vibrations can be felt almost all the way up the neck. Seems to not feel as strong near the nut; the rest of the neck you can feel the sound! The sustain is seriously long too.

Oh, found me the near perfect pick case for $1.05 ... an Altoids Smalls can. Even the slightly larger triangular pick fits when poking the tip on the hinge side. Far cheaper than anything in the music stores.

Hmm... if only there were mini pick case stickers ...
    Yes, those are perfect. I buy the red and white ones and have a few of those. Good strong mints, too. Maybe Altoids wants to advertise on the Cafe site?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Was curious about adding some bling & possible function of an arm rest to the S8. Figured it might help move middle of the forearm outward more in the back. Then I discovered the bottom edge bevel that is about 9mm in...

Width in the back area is 39mm, mid-back is 43.5mm, 9mm inward bevel

So it appears that if someone wanted to add an arm rest/bling using the normal method this would not work, as those violin chin mounts are in 8mm from the edge. One would have to figure out a different base mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Yes, those are perfect. I buy the red and white ones and have a few of those. Good strong mints, too. Maybe Altoids wants to advertise on the Cafe site?
    Discovered today there is a taller version with a flip-top. Was showing off the Altoid Smalls can and he showed me his. I've not seen any like this before, and the landlord thinks he found them in a gas station somewhere.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JCgC5Yo.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	394.5 KB 
ID:	165636

Waiting for someone to make a musical instrument from one of these next. There's a whole following on reusing an Altoids canister!

Discovered today there is a taller version with a flip-top. Was showing off the Altoid Smalls can and he showed me his. I've not seen any like this before, and the landlord thinks he found them in a gas station somewhere.

Waiting for someone to make a musical instrument from one of these next. There's a whole following on reusing an Altoids canister!
    That would be great. Sometimes I want a mint while driving and it is hard to open and grab a few without spilling those tiny mints all over my car.

Maybe you can fashion an armrest for your S8 from one?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    That would be great. Sometimes I want a mint while driving and it is hard to open and grab a few without spilling those tiny mints all over my car.

Maybe you can fashion an armrest for your S8 from one?
    Sir, are you suggesting a pick-holding arm rest? Surely you are only jesting!

Jesting? ?????

Hey wait! that is a great idea! Or maybe a tailpiece that also holds mints. Brilliant! If we go into business together we could call it a James Tailpiece. Oops! I guess not.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: