Thread: Songlist for next week (in my dreams)

Default Songlist for next week (in my dreams)

Hi, I got an invitation to a group session, though they don't seem convinced about a mandolin, and here is the song list. Great tunes, but out of my wheelhouse for a week of preparation. I'll try to chord along, play a break or two, and hope to be invited back. I'll bring the magnetic pickup and a small amp; they have horns and drums. This seems more social than gigging oriented, and I'm looking forward, though a bit nervous...

Freddie the Freeloader
    Corcovado
    Song for My Father
    So What
    Sugar
    Wake Me Up When September Ends
    Stella By Starlight
    All The Things You Are
    Satin Doll
    Michelle
    Killer Joe
    Sandu
    Ruby My Dear
    One Note Samba
    Recorda-Me
    My Favorite Things
    Jordu
    In a Sentimental Mood
    Georgia
    Blue Monk
    Blue In Green
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early

Default Re: Songlist for next week (in my dreams)

Very cool Dave, let us know how it goes.

I remember my first jam with "real jazz players". I was vey nervous, hoping they wouldn't discover I was a fraud. After I got over that and just played, it turned out to be very fun and a number of them hired me to play gigs with them. They are folks just like us who are doing this for the love of the music!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:

Nice list, should be fun. Looks like a good workout there in the flat keys for some tunes that don't transpose easily (All the things, Jordu). Some of the others you'll eventually find yourself playing in any key at all.

I learned Ruby My Dear off the Monk/Coltrane record when I was in high school, but have still never had a chance to play it with anyone.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Clausen For This Useful Post:

Dave, there is a wonderful mandolin version of “My Favorite Things” done by Reischman on the Tony Rice CD “Backwaters”. Might give you some inspiration.
    Al in PT

7. The following members say thank you to Al Bergstein for this post:

Nothing wrong with sitting back and listening when out of your league. Take notes, if necessary. Is it problem to bring lead sheets and read the chords off or even the basic melody?

I have attended a swing session near here and there are some pretty decent players but there are also folks who play basic stuff. The idea is fun and most folks know you will get better as you get used to the situation.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

It went well. Starting with "can you play jazz on a mandolin" and ending with me getting to call the last tune and "we are really glad you came, please come back, I have another group you might like to play with."

I was nervous, and got lost several times, but managed to chord along and play a solo on almost all of the tunes. Friendly, good players. A very good bass player.

Whew!

Now to get to work and really improve sight reading (I'm barely functional now) and mentally figuring out parts to play that fit the sound.

Thanks for the support!

Dave
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Martin For This Useful Post: