Thread: Ultra light strings in the uk

Default Ultra light strings in the uk

I play a bowl back thats had a seriously broken neck (now professionally repaired)when i first got it.
    Currently im using ghs A249 ultralight bronzes but im struggling to buy them in the uk from anywhere but amazon.
    Does anyone know somewhere i can buy them from or failing that, a suitable alternative?

Default Re: Ultra light strings in the uk

Newtone will put together sets in whatever gauges you want. They're not particularly expensive, they don't charge ridiculous amounts to post them and they're made in the UK!

3. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Gear4Music is my go-to for stringed instruments, they usually have a massive selection so you should be able to find something ultra light. Or Newtone sounds good as Ray has mentioned.

5. The following members say thank you to Subreel for this post:

I have bought those from Brown Dog Banjos in the past : http://www.browndogbanjos.co.uk/mand...ings-218-c.asp
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

7. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

I use either Martin light bronze 10-34, or else get a custom gauge set from Eagle Music Shop: https://www.eaglemusicshop.com/prod/...string-set.htm. Clifford Essex have an ultra light set as well, and are decent strings: http://www.cliffordessex.net/index.p...d&productId=55

9. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Cheers john, good to know, would hate to have to get you to fix it twice.
    Thanks to everyone for the info and advice. Will have a good look at them all.

The strings from Eagle music are interesting. The custom sets they used to put together were made by Newtone. I wonder if they still are?

The last/only time I ordered a custom set from Eagle was because they would supply a single set whereas the minimum direct from Newtone was six sets. They no longer have a minimum number.

- - - Updated - - -

The strings from Eagle music are interesting. The custom sets they used to put together were made by Newtone. I wonder if they still are?

The last/only time I ordered a custom set from Eagle was because they would supply a single set whereas the minimum direct from Newtone was six sets. They no longer have a minimum number.

12. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

derbex 

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    They've changed the name to "Puretone", and took me a couple of sets to notice that, so they seem to be OK wherever it is they actually come from now. I would assume they are no longer Newtone though - I do know they were forever running out of stock and having trouble getting replacements when they were advertised as Newtone so that might give you a clue. The Clifford Essex strings seem to be pretty decent too, again, I don't know who the ultimate maker is.

I can understand that, Newtone have upped their game since Neil Silverman took over and they moved premises (out of Malcolm Newton's garage!). The only time I ordered a custom set of "Eagle" Newtones, which arrived within a few days, Newtone were taking up to three months to supply a minimum of six sets. You can now get a single custom set from them within one to two weeks.

Good luck with the weather down in the SW - we're currently snowed in on the Northumberland coast!

Last set that I bought from Newtone in January came within a few days.

Also snowbound I the Oxfordshire Highlands

Blog Entries

Another set that comes up well for bowlbacks is the Savarez Argentine light set
    http://www.savarez.fr/argentine-boucle-1540

Places like Hobgoblin etc sometimes have those in stock.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

17. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    Another set that comes up well for bowlbacks is the Savarez Argentine light set
    http://www.savarez.fr/argentine-boucle-1540

Places like Hobgoblin etc sometimes have those in stock.
    I do like those, although I haven't tried them on a bowl back yet, I got mine from Stringbusters http://www.stringbusters.com/Ko-Besp...OLIN%20SAVAREZ although some people have had problems with them lately.

Just to keep the thread on track (unlike the trains) it's snowy in Essex too.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Thanks, i’ll keep an eye out for them. Think i may have a bash with the martins as they seem to be relitively easy to obtain