Thread: Mandolin Cases

Default Mandolin Cases

Lets talk cases. Obviously, Calton and Hoffee are top of the class. But come at a steep price. But curious to hear your personal experiences with Bobelock fiberglass cases. Curious how durable you have found it to be (I think I have heard that could literally step on a Calton and it wouldn't hurt the instrument). Anyone had any near-death experiences (near instrument death using a bobelock)?

I am especially curious to hear from anyone that has been able to directly compare a travelite vs bobelock. I currently keep my collings in a trvelite (if it is good enough for Mike Marshall, I assume it is good enough for me), but trying to decide if a bobelock is considered an upgrade, or a lateral move. Any and all opinions appreciated!

Thanks!

Default Re: Mandolin Cases

My Bobelock ‘Arrow' is a good case but I’ve always felt the top flexes a tad bit more than I would like to see. I would not feel comfortable checking it as luggage. I do like the interior and the latches altho the accessory pocket is quite small. There’s generous open space available under the neck area but stored things there can shift around inside that area when you carry. I had a Travelite case and agree it’s really a protective case for general carry around town. My guess is it probably would survive a 3’ drop better than the Bobelock. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Geechee. This is great insight. Your last statement at the end about a 3' drop really sums it up!

Heard a lot about Travellite cases but they’ve never been available in the UK. Quite a few years ago I ran into Tim O’Brien on a flight into Christchurch, NZ , and he had one. He hadn’t checked it in ‘though!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Heard a lot about Travellite cases but they’ve never been available in the UK. Quite a few years ago I ran into Tim O’Brien on a flight into Christchurch, NZ , and he had one. He hadn’t checked it in ‘though!
    I own and regularly use both the Arrow and Oblong Bobelok mandolin cases, and also regularly use a Calton mandolin case. I like all three.. The Calton is solid as a rock, quite heavy, but really snuggles the mandolin nicely on the inside, especially the neck and headstock. Both Bobelok cases are also solidly built and have a nice snuggle in fitment on the inside. Bobelok cases each have a neck strap to prevent movement of mandolin inside case. Bobleko case covers are super handy, for storage certainly, but I like that the case cover is virtually a redundant latching system. My experience is that the majority of instrument damage is the result of drops and falls, not from people standing on the case. The strength off the case exterior construction has virtually no bearing on its performance when dropped off the edge of a stage or out of a vehicles trunk. How well the case interior cushions and secures the instrument, especially the neck is the real critical component. The Bobelok cases I have and use daily don’t secure the upper neck region of the mandolin as well as I prefer, so I add simple foam padding to the headstock area to absorb any shock from an accidental drop. For an average picker who isn’t gigging frequently and who can and will handle his/her own instrument, the Bobelok is a very good choice at a very reasonable price point. If you need to stand on your case occasionally to reach the top shelf then get a Calton or Hoffee.

This guy is guilty of standing on his Calton with his mandolin inside but never to reach the top shelf.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I think that the best for the money case that is not a true light case would be a Travelite and I have three. The hinges are crap though. I pulled them out of one of my Travelites because they were coming loose and I just use the zipper. My mandolins live in Hoffees and Caltons but if I need to carry a mandolin around a festival, I use a Travelite case with a custom fit silver Colorado case cover since the case is black.

Not mandolin specific, but applicable: For years I did guitar repair for a living and likely repaired 100-125 broken off headstocks on Gibson/Gibson-style guitars. Well over half of these occurred whilst the guitar was in the case. Most cases have nothing securing the headstock and when a case is dropped or falls over, with the headstock hanging off of the neck support, whiplash occurs. Whatever case you choose, if the interior design does no include headstock immobilization, cut some foam wedges that firmly sandwich the headstock when the case is closed.
    too many strings

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to musicofanatic For This Useful Post: