Thread: Peterson tuner app

Default Peterson tuner app

Has any one else tried this out? I really like mine. Haven't tried it in a gig type setting where you would have background noise. Just used it at home. Works great for me.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Default Re: Peterson tuner app

I love it, I also have not used it in a gig but have compared it to several other tuners and it’s dead on accurate. I also purchased the sweetened tuning add on and it’s well worth it too although I am not sure how that would work in a situation where you’ve got a lot of other people in a standard tempered tuning, you’d be off from each other unless they too were tweaked the same.

I purchased it shortly after it came available. It is pretty awesome. How cool is it to have something this powerful that is always in your pocket/purse? I mostly use it on my phone, but also have it on an iPad with a clip on piezo that I can attach directly to a bridge.

I lot of people I have showed it to don't like the accuracy. Most inexpensive stand alone tuners are dumbed down and hold Green or right on, when the reality is the string is fluctuating a few cents. That will get you in the ballpark, where the Peterson app is accurate enough to do intonation.

It is not quite there with a real strobe tuner, but it really is close enough for the vast majority of practical situations.

Dear Peterson, Please send the marketing check to my mailing address!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Which app is this? I did a search on the App Store and didn't turn up anything with this name. I did get a "Chromatic Tuner" app. Is this Peterson android only. I have an iPhone.
    Thanks

iStrobosoft

https://www.petersontuners.com/products/istrobosoft/

It was always IOS only, but looks like they added an Android version too.

Not cheap if you want all features enabled. Absolutely the best tuner you can get for the money, assuming we don't factor in the phone cost.
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Mine is on my iPhone.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I saw something like this for the first time the other day when we had our piano tuned. The tuner used it for part of the process,ear for the rest. I think it's great for piano tuning, when good enough isn't good enough, but for my purposes a dumbed down headstock tuner is fine.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I have a Peterson in the shop, but a couple of smaller polytune headstock tuners for the mando. I notice the polytune is no where near as accurate in the regular mode as it is in the strobe mode. It truly does make a difference.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

That looks cool...I have a free tuner app that’s decent but not perfect. Question is whether I’d actually use the Peterson at home, or just keep grabbing my Snarks...chin scratching emoji...
    Chuck

Paul,

I am taking a guess that you have an above average since of pitch. No?

Question is whether I’d actually use the Peterson at home, or just keep grabbing my Snarks...chin scratching emoji...
    And that is the thing.... The vast majority or musicians/performers are still using clip-ons. This is not going to be the best choice for an on stage tuner. Before stepping on stage, yeah. Intonation? A big YES. You are much better off doing intonation by ear vs your average clip-on.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger