Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: making my own pick...

Default Re: making my own pick...

I find that the pointiness makes more of a difference with a rounder point (contradiction) less bright and more mellow in general.

Bevel is more problematic I think because it depends on how you play, that is, at what angle you hit the strings.

If you like the Jazztone 207 picks, why not try to duplicate what you like about them, I assume shape and thickness and non-bevel (from what I can see) and just make it larger than the 207.

I did find this old thread about Jazztone picks and one poster mentions a 209, but I don't see those offered on the Dunlop site. Did they make a 209 at one point?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DunlopJazztonePicks.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	165425

What is especially odd to me is that on the Dunlop site there are no specs for these Jazztone picks. I am not even sure how thick they are. I would guess thicker than 1.5?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I find that the pointiness makes more of a difference with a rounder point (contradiction) less bright and more mellow in general.

Bevel is more problematic I think because it depends on how you play, that is, at what angle you hit the strings.

If you like the Jazztone 207 picks, why not try to duplicate what you like about them, I assume shape and thickness and non-bevel (from what I can see) and just make it larger than the 207.

I did find this old thread about Jazztone picks and one poster mentions a 209, but I don't see those offered on the Dunlop site. Did they make a 209 at one point?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DunlopJazztonePicks.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	165425

What is especially odd to me is that on the Dunlop site there are no specs for these Jazztone picks. I am not even sure how thick they are. I would guess thicker than 1.5?
    As far as I know, there has never been a 209. Mike Marshall told me he is meeting with Dunlop and is planning to request a 209. I guess he played with the 207s for a decade but moved on due to the smallish size.

I'm pretty sure the 2 in 207 stands for 2 millimeters thick. They have 307s and 507s in different lineups (primetone I think?). I have some over-sized wegens that I could use to make my own 209. I'll start there and post some picks if I have decent results.

4. The following members say thank you to dadsaster for this post:

I just wish one of those pick punch makers made a pick with the shape of the Spike, Dunlop Sharp, or similar regular size but extra pointy picks.