Thread: Strings for Warren Ellis Electric Tenor tuned Chicago style.

Default Strings for Warren Ellis Electric Tenor tuned Chicago style.

Hey guys,

In case you weren't aware, chicago tuning means its tuned like the top 4 strings of a guitar, or like a baritone uke, D-G-B-E.

Now the reason im so concerned is because im a previous long time baritone ukulele player.

That being said, ive been looking at D'addarios EJ26 custom light strings. Since im a uke player, I would prefer a much lighter tension string. ive decided to stick with steel, or nickel wound, because i would prefer this on an electric instrument. The only issue is that the strings above are meant for an acoustic guitar. and since this is electric I would prefer something made for that but with a lighter tension

Anywho, the Warren Ellis String Gauge guide tells me that the gauges should be around 0.32, 0.24, 0.14, 0.11, but with wiggle room for sure.

So I thought about D'addarios EJ20 Jazz Nickel wound extra light, to grab that electric sound, still be within the proper string gauge, and have the tension im looking for.

What do you guys think in regards to strings that will capture the "electric" feel of the instrument, that generally fall into the gauges ive listed, and that have an overall lighter tension?

Default Re: Strings for Warren Ellis Electric Tenor tuned Chicago style.

Im actually being told now that I should try going lighter first. perhaps 8's or 9's?

Im looking on Daddarios webpage and there are soo many damn options its unbelievable.

Im focused on the NYXL sets of strings now that seem super light.

I don't really think I can help you with your question but as a long-time Bad Seeds/Dirty three fan I have been interested in the guitar Ellis uses on stage. I always assumed he managed to find some odd small-necked guitar and then added GDAE strings as he was more comfortable with that as a violin player. I had no idea he had a custom made, and that he now has a series of different versions! They look beautiful.

I think this is where I first saw him use it, his Grinderman guise:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxqlb1--uKc
    Eastman MD305 - set-up by Simon Mayor.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

I assume you are talking about a 23" scale? If so, you can use any six string electric set that takes your fancy. 12 17 20 30 would give you an even 20lb per string. 20lb is pretty light compared to a six string guitar & pretty standard for a tenor guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    I assume you are talking about a 23" scale? If so, you can use any six string electric set that takes your fancy. 12 17 20 30 would give you an even 20lb per string. 20lb is pretty light compared to a six string guitar & pretty standard for a tenor guitar.
    Yah, ive been looking into it. however, i find 12 to be way to high, i was thinking of actually starting with a 9..

Im looking at d'adarrios electric sets and wondering if i should go standard nickel wound? and maybe start at a 9?

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

.009 will give you 10lb of tension on a 23" scale? That is about the same as a 20" scale baritone uke using a .28 plain nylon!
    You can just buy guitar singles & make up your own set... good luck.

I use Chicago tuning for my Warren Ellis 2P tenor guitar and I started with D'Addario EJ21 Jazz Nickel strings (0.012 - 0.032). They had decent tone, but after experimenting with many different string sets (all 0.012 - 0.032) I settled on Rotosound Purple strings. The Rotosound strings had the best tone by far. You can hear what they sound like at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bExe1T42Vhg . I do have a little bit of overdrive in the signal in that video.

My advice is decide what string gauge you want to use and then try as many manufacturers as you can. Every set of strings sounded a little different. When I heard the Rotosounds I knew I was "home".
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

8. The following members say thank you to Chip Stewart for this post: