Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Counterfeit D'Addario Strings from Amazon

Blog Entries

Default Re: Counterfeit D'Addario Strings from Amazon

amazon's response to this is predictable, but we were discussing the same issue eight years ago, and I'm guessing this all started shortly after 1994 when they launched. It reeks of what a lot of companies like Twitter and Facebook are engaging in at this very moment: "yes, we acknowledge we have a problem but don't have a scalable solution, but we want you to know this is our highest priority." In other words, we'll leave you smiling with a good feeling but don't count on the problem getting solved--our profits are more important than your need to be effectively served as a consumer, and solving those problems would impact our bottom line.

As a business owner I find this kind of approach reprehensible. What a luxury, to create a brand so effective, eBay, Facebook, Twitter, etc. that they can essentially serve as fronts for criminal activity without ever really feeling the brunt of any kind of punishment. eBay even has its own little army of folks right here reporting all the scam ads. Whack-a-mole game with no end that will never be won. And guess why they continue? Because they work. What a mess, the internet. Makes us want to go here.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    What a mess, the internet. Makes us want to go here.
    Internet is slowly morphing into something ugly and dangerous and these companies just take advantage of this mess. I remember back in '95-'95 when I first got regular access to internet it was much purer and safer place than these days....
    Adrian

I've been involved managing the online world since the mid 80's, pre the world wide web. It was never really been that much purer or safer, it was just smaller. It has always been the wild west.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I've been involved managing the online world since the mid 80's, pre the world wide web. It was never really been that much purer or safer, it was just smaller. It has always been the wild west.
    The BBS days were really quite something. Not very sophisticated compared to today, but quite eye opening for a teenage boy!
    Then I remember getting to college and finding out that my department had a thing called e-mail and that I could use it on one of the department machines to contact my professors. It blew my mind when I found out I could also e-mail a friend at another college who was also in Physics. A while after that I played a MUD (Multi-User Dungeon) text game on a machine in the computer lab and found out I was playing against someone from Ireland! I just couldn't believe it.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I like that some of the members here prefer to use cafe sponsors partly because they are cafe sponsors. I've never yet had a problem dealing with the cafe sponsors whom I've used.

So far, I haven't ordered anything from Just Strings or from Strings and Beyond - could be due to my specific order sizes, but each time I've ordered strings, I've bargain-shopped by comparing prices, even going so far as to filling the shopping cart at several vendors in order to make sure there would be no last minute surprises. So far, each and every time, the cafe sponsor Elderly Instruments has gotten my business. I like being able to save a few bucks and still use a cafe sponsor.

YMMV. NFI.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    It reeks of what a lot of companies like Twitter and Facebook are engaging in at this very moment: "yes, we acknowledge we have a problem but don't have a scalable solution, but we want you to know this is our highest priority." In other words, we'll leave you smiling with a good feeling but don't count on the problem getting solved--our profits are more important than your need to be effectively served as a consumer, and solving those problems would impact our bottom line
    In fairness they’re just following the long established lead and example set by the credit card companies. Reimburse the individual account and spread the hit through the customer base. But above all do not allow the broad extent of the problem & vulnerability to be observable or quantifiable across the system, as that would undermine confidence in the system and damp user confidence & demand.
    While the problem is not seen full scale, the cost of just taking the hits is less than the drop in revenue which could be caused by undermining user confidence. As long as there’s no wider cost, the edge of the corporate carpet will be lifted and the events swept under there. Things like this on here let us see just how lumpy that rug has become.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

As a Canadian, we don't have a lot of choices, so Just Strings as well as Strings And Beyond have been very helpful in getting products to the Great White North. Always a pleasure to deal with both, and no hassles with customs.

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    I have been purchasing strings through Just Strings for years now. PERFECT service each and every time. The CORRECT order each and every time. And if there is ever a backorder on single strings that I need from time to time, the strings arrive quickly and with no extra shipping charge. In other words PERFECT SERVICE and complete satisfaction every time I deal with them.

You can't get better than perfect...
    Agree, Just Strings is the best

Needed strings this past week. Went to my local shop! Felt great to do so.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

Speaking of counterfeits, in Russia there are counterfeit medicines and birth control pills, which obviously don't work. Imagine the moral level of someone who does that.

Nothing's new. Back in 1912, my great aunt emigrated from the UK to the US and married a countfeit doctor.

16. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post: