Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Are Some Favorites In Your Collection?

Default What Are Some Favorites In Your Collection?

I'm looking to expand my playing a bit, especially across genres. For the most part I play bluegrass or old time and do a lot of it by ear, but I play with sheet music too.

I'm curious what sheet music or books you have in your collection that you're particularly fond of. Any genre is okay, though bonus points for genres outside of bluegrass and old time (or even better if you can share some good stuff within those genres that most of us haven't heard about!).

Both tablature or standard music notation are good!

2. The following members say thank you to dougl122 for this post:

Default Re: What Are Some Favorites In Your Collection?

I have been loving August Watters' Exploring Classical Mandolin. Super good book for learning classical. Pieces at all different levels, etudes for each technique/skillset taught throughout the book, mp3 and video files of August playing to accompany and help your learning. It's really been an asset for me and a great way to get into classical. Plus, August is a forum member and has been very kind and personable via messages.

4. The following members say thank you to MoreThanQuinn for this post:

Thanks! I picked that one up recently and that's part of what's inspired me to explore even more!

Check out anything by Allan Alexander.

Wow. Tough. I have most of the common stuff. Current favorites are Dwight Lamb's Danish Tunes, The Music of Elmo Wick: Fiddle Tunes of Crow River Country, and Traditional Scandinavian Folk Tunes by the Berntsons. None are mandolin specific. Just have good tunes.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Wow. Tough. I have most of the common stuff. Current favorites are Dwight Lamb's Danish Tunes, The Music of Elmo Wick: Fiddle Tunes of Crow River Country, and Traditional Scandinavian Folk Tunes by the Berntsons. None are mandolin specific. Just have good tunes.
    Ohh, I would love to hear or see something out of Dwight Lamb's Danish Tunes. Do you know of any recordings of the pieces? My mom's side of the family is Danish and I'm always looking for Danish stuff to play.

Teacher, repair person

Ryan's Mammoth Collection. O'Neill's Music of Ireland-- the unedited version. To me, the Miles Krassen edition is only good for starting fires. The Old Time Fiddler's Repertory [out of print, I think].

Then there were those Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart guys, but they didn't write much for the mandolin.

10. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Blog Entries

Oh my goodness. I have shelf after shelf of tune books. Covering so much good stuff. OK staying out of old time, and the huge Milliner-Koken Collection, Bayard's collections, R.P. Christeson's two volume collection, Bolick and Austin's collection of Mississippi fiddle music, and staying out of classical, like Carlo Aonzos book of Classical Mandolin Solos, and ignoring traditional Irish, (which is a huge collection of books) and ignoring Scottish (no small collection either) and ignoring Nordic fiddle music, Klezmer and Eastern European fiddle music, New England and French Canadian and Cape Breton fiddle tunes and the contra dance repertory, thing like the Fiddler's Fakebook, The Portland Collection in three volumes, The Phillips Collection in two volumes, Kerr's Merry Melodies in several volumes, Peter Kennedy's Fiddler's Tune-Books in five volumes, Ryan's mentioned above, The Waltz Book I, II, III, and IV by Bill Matthiesen ... and limiting my recommendation to two, I would strongly recommend:

Ragtime for Fiddle and Mandolin by Stephen Parker.

Pete Loud's Collection of Northumbrian, Tyneside and Other Traditional Fiddle Tunes

I have to admit I don't have many Bluegrass specific books, and nothing all that original there.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    The Old Time Fiddler's Repertory [out of print, I think].
    Nope.

The Old Time Fiddler's Repertory Volume 1

The Old Time Fiddler's Repertory Volume 2
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

14. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanQuinn View Post
    Ohh, I would love to hear or see something out of Dwight Lamb's Danish Tunes. Do you know of any recordings of the pieces? My mom's side of the family is Danish and I'm always looking for Danish stuff to play.
    Here's a YouTube video of Dwight playing some of these tunes https://youtu.be/u2wjPvWMMn8

There was a CD entitled Danish & American Melodies, but it may be out of print right now. At least I couldn't find it in a quick on line search.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

16. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

JeffD and I have a similar tune book library.

I'll add that there are earmarks in my copies of Aaron Weinstein's Chord Melody and Dan Sellman's Back Cello Suites books.

Also a half dozen jazz Fake Books.

18. The following members say thank you to Michael Neverisky for this post:

20. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Blog Entries

Playing for English Country Dance sessions I was introduced to the Barnes Collection (two volumes) of old English and modern tunes for that type of dancing. These tend to be more stately or gentle than the reels and jigs the contra dancers want.

Contra dancers here use the Portland collection of dance tunes, which includes reels and jigs from various ethnic sources, in 3 volumes by Susan Songer. We also used the New England Fiddler's Repertoire, by Randy Miller and Jack Perron, from Fiddlecase books.

The Portland Collection is being completed in searchable PDF for displaying selected medleys on tablet computers. I will probably get one of these eventually---the jazz crowd uses them for Real Book and other collections of tunes.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Wright For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    Playing for English Country Dance sessions I was introduced to the Barnes Collection (two volumes) of old English and modern tunes for that type of dancing. These tend to be more stately or gentle than the reels and jigs the contra dancers want.
    I love playing ECD mandolin!

Here are a couple links:

https://www.larkcamp.com/EnglishTunes.pdf

3 part harmony version I helped with:

https://www.larkcamp.com/EnglishTunesHarmony.pdf

https://larkcamp.com/CecilSharp.html

Tocando com Jacob. A collection of choro tunes from a couple of Jacob do Bandolim albums from 1961-62. What makes this great are the accompanying CDs, with the original recorded tune, and the rhythm backing track that Jacob played along with. Pretty high tech for the time.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary Leonard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Leonard View Post
    Tocando com Jacob. A collection of choro tunes from a couple of Jacob do Bandolim albums from 1961-62. What makes this great are the accompanying CDs, with the original recorded tune, and the rhythm backing track that Jacob played along with. Pretty high tech for the time.
    Jacob do Bandolim - great player!

https://kupdf.com/queue/jacob-do-ban...Y2MjU6OWIxZQ==

http://musicishealing.com/Bateria/Pa...teSongbook.pdf

https://www.choromusic.com/catalogo/...l#.Wo2YEiMrLSw

Jazz and chord-melody books:

Don Stiernberg

Aaron Weinstein

Dix Bruce (has a few, with corresponding books for violin and guitar

Ted Eschlimann

Todd Collins (2 books: Modes and Fretobard studies)
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

“A Variety of Mandolin Music” published by Clifford Essex with introduction by Hugo D’Alton. Don’t know about it’s current availability. It really does have a variety of Music including a few by the Italians, Francia & a batch of DePace’s. There some nice chordal solo pieces, sort of Italian-Jethro chord melody style. & Bach, Chopin etc...Solos, duos, trios.
    Cheesy yellow cover, but good content inside.
    Joe B

I went bananas a few years ago and bought all the "white" choro books. Originally the first volume was only available because the editor passed away in the middle of production. Then his publishing company put out the other two which probably covers a big part of the repertoire.

In the old time genre, I have both editions of the Old Time Repertory which covers old time fiddle tunes from Missouri. Nice that those were re-printed a few years ago because they are excellent. I was lucky to inherit a copy of Garry Harrison's "Dear Old Illinois" book. It is supposed to be re-printed but for some reason still is not available. I also have The Milliner-Koken collection of fiddle tunes.

All of the above (including the choro) are in standard notation (no tab) because they are intended for multiple instruments.

For Irish tunes I downloaded this free book, conveniently split into two parts for printing and binding:
    Kingston Irish Tunebook, part 1
    Kingston Irish Tunebook, part 2

I have Ryan's Mammoth Collection from mid-19th Century which I love to read through to find some oddball tunes that few play these days.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I found it interesting that the first tune of book two of this Irish Tunebook is Ashoken Farewell
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    I found it interesting that the first tune of book two of this Irish Tunebook is Ashoken Farewell
    The Kingston books are actually quite nice with medleys and historical info included. Definitely worth the price. I guess they play Ashokan Farewell in their sessions in Canada.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Blog Entries

I was going to tell this story, but I already did.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I cannot sight read music, the books did not help, missed getting into band as a child. now I'm OLD..
    but I have several.. still have to learn by hearing stuff..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

My favorite book now is actually an app. iRealpro

It's only chords though, if I don't know the melody, will have to dig through a fakebook, though sometimes it's a good exercise to improvise directly from the harmony.

This is working to find lead sheets right now. Searchable. http://therealbook.info/aboutthis

I'm not much for tune books, since most the Irish/Scottish repertoire I'm interested in is well served by the huge database at thesession.org. But there have been a few I've found useful over the years, or that my fiddler S.O. has picked up:

Smoke In Your Eyes -- A Compilation of Irish Tunes Played at Seattle Sessions, collected by Caoimhin Gaimh. It's a great tune collection with common session settings (for this area, at least). More useful than something like O'Neil's, for "modern" settings of the tunes. Not easy to find, here's one source.

The Portland Collection -- It's a valuable reference for OldTime and Contra Dance tunes. Not quite as useful for Irish/Scottish repertoire, due to settings that are often different from common session settings. Still, a ton of great fiddle tunes in these books, often with background info about the tunes.

Lunasa Notai - Music from the Recordings of Lunasa -- Great for some of the background stories.

Altan: The Tunes -- This was just released, and my copy is on the way. Looking forward to this one, for the stories as well as the tunes.

At this point, there is so much available on the Internet that if I'm paying for a printed tunebook, I want more than tunes. I want some good background about the printed sheet music.