Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Under $300

Default Re: Under $300

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    . . . 2. Now that I got that off my chest, Rover RM-50. Solid top, plywood back and sides, halfway decent construction, less than $200. Rover is Saga's lower-end line, and I wouldn't be surprised (or informed) if Rovers get cranked out by the same Chinese factories that do the inexpensive Kentucky instruments. . . .
    Or get it here and it comes all nicely set up for you.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Will have to think about getting a decent strap for the Seagull S8. She's on her way from the Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

Still trying to find the sweet spot where I like the Weber Y2K to set when I'm playing. Read to set in a chair, leaning forward slightly, and have the strap adjusted to where the mandolin rests on the right leg.
    One can find instructions on how to fit a tie, rifle sling, or guitar strap. Hardly nothing on setting a mandolin strap over the head - which can then be back carried between sets.
    • Seagull S8 • Weber Y2K6 • David Hudson Bloodwood Didgeridoo (C#) •

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

You're over thinking the strap thingy. Most of them if not all have multiple holes stamped for different lengths. Straps with a buckle are even more adjustable. Buy one. They are (or can be) fairly cheap.

Or, build one out of whatever string, lace, cord you have lying around.

4. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Was thinking of one like this over at Etsy. Guess it does look adjustable.
    I should to stop shopping after 4AM. It's that caffeine!

I played a Washburn today that wasn’t that bad.
    Peter Kaufman violin
    Old Wave two point

Blog Entries

I'm going to cast a vote for a 1960s era Harmony Monterey H410 A-Style mandolin. These have all solid wood construction (Birch soundboard, sides, & back) with mahogany necks. They turn up for sale on Reverb and ebay regularly, and very good examples go for between $200 and $300. If you can find a decent example in the lower part of the price range, it's worth it to invest in a good replacement bridge. Mine has a custom built and fitted ebonized maple bridge. I really like the mandolin's "Old Timey", "Honky Tonk" tone.

In my opinion, Birch is an underrated tonewood for backs and sides, and even for soundboards!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rvhir86.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	165332 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WHs2d8Z.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	165333

Let us know what you decide on!

EDIT: Just saw you decided on a Seagull S8. Good choice - All of Godin's stuff is excellent, and a great value. Enjoy!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ed Goist For This Useful Post:

Wish there were some decent Mandolin strap makers that had both standard *and* amp jack/pin sized holes on the same strap. Then could have one handsome strap for two mandolins.

Quote Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
    Wish there were some decent Mandolin strap makers that had both standard *and* amp jack/pin sized holes on the same strap. Then could have one handsome strap for two mandolins.
    I had a local leather worker make me a custom strap. I took one of mine in, we discussed some changes and she made one the right length without a buckle (which you only need on a standard strap to make it work on a range of sizes).

I’m sure someone with access to a leather pouch could add a hole to an existing strap?

James Miller, I am unclear whether you actually ordered a Seagull S8. In any case, this pocket mandolin could be an inexpensive solution to the problem at hand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	320.3 KB 
ID:	165455
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Aye, bought a Seagull from Canada, place called The Acoustic Room. Should be here this week. Have a strap coming in from Vegas that was crafted by a fellow named Henry Bojorquez. He made it a tad longer for me.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Congrats! Happy pickin' 😀

Whomever said the Seagull S8 isn't very loud must of been deaf. This baby has sustain to rival the Weber Y2K even. Sure, is a bit on the brighter side of tone, but she's got tones in all the right places. /Rawr! Man, can feel those vibes flowing right through her! Not just in the soundbox, but through the entire mandolin!!

Name:  howlingwolf.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  3.8 KB Did not even have a chance to tune her, but had to play her before work. Am quite impressed.

Did noticed the fret wires were different in comparison to the Weber. Smaller, lower. She's a pretty lil' Canadian Blonde. Can't wait to get back home to check her over. And the box from Canada survived well.
    Last edited by James Miller; Mar-01-2018 at 8:49pm. Reason: remembered correct term

15. The following members say thank you to James Miller for this post: