Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Huge number of eBay Scam Listings

Blog Entries

Default Re: Huge number of eBay Scam Listings

Hi Mike I am trying to figure out how to spot a fraudulent post on MandolinCafe ...
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Wait a minute. We're allowed to have other hobbies besides mandolin?
    yeah tar and feather him, blasphemer

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    We have seen this scammer's stuff over and over and over. Always the same listings (and mandolins is only a small fraction of what he/she/they/whoever list), always with a 24 hr auction but with the warning not to bid but rather do a buy it now but buy it now is not enabled, usually on a weekend.

But I don't really understand how they get their money out of the scam, nor how they seem to hijack account after account so easily. And I should think, for them to get their money they have to have hijacked the original account owner's PayPal account as well.

It makes me wonder. I mean how easy would it be to hijack MY ebay account and my paypal account, both? And you'd think that eBay itself could have some means of recognizing something so easily recognizable. I mean, I can recognize them just from any one or two of the following: the title, the thumbnail, the starting bid, the auction duration, the item description. Not to mention the photos.
    i also wonder how they make their money? maybe they suck people into answering then get them to pay from a private accont and take the money and run. they would only need a few to be gullible for this to pay, but the real issue is e bay isn't very vigilant about noticing these accounts that want outside payment

They simply sell the item outside eBay for a very low price. Then they don't deliver it because they never had it. They end up with somebody's money and the somebody ends up with nothing. These transactions don't take place inside eBay or Paypal. That's how they make money. The victims are happy to be buying a $4,000.00 mandolin for $400.00.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

He/she/they've been quiet this weekend, or they're on vacation at their villa in the South of France or they're not listing banjos/mandolins/Rickenbacker basses, the 3 things I've noticed on their listings.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

back to Ebay business as usual this AM:

1927 Gibson Style H1 Mandolin

1924 Gibson A-2Z Snakehead Mandolin Blk Top
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

They both appear to be gone already.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber