Thread: Michael A Lewis Mandolins

Default Michael A Lewis Mandolins

I just purchased a 2000 Lewis DS model. I have to say this is probably the easiest playing mandolin I have ever tried. Not a Bluegrass bomb by any means but, a clear ringing tone. I know Michael has an excellent reputation as a builder and he has a lengthy waiting list. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with Lewis instruments? I regret I'm not smart enough to rotate the pics to proper orientation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1227.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	409.4 KB 
ID:	164822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1228.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	438.3 KB 
ID:	164823  

Default Re: Michael A Lewis Mandolins

I am really surprised we don't hear more about Michael. He really is a World Class Luthier.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Frank Solivan (FS and Dirty Kitchen band), use to, and maybe still does play a Lewis mandolin. Michael Lewis usually has a booth in the Luthiers Pavilion at the California Bluegrass Association's Father's Day Festival in June at Grass Valley, CA.
    John A. Karsemeyer

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Scott Gates plays a Lewis F5 that is a beastie!

Michael has been a member of the Cafe for years. He doesn't seem to contribute as much as he used to. He's an excellent luthier and builds very nice instruments.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Rotated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1227.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	434.4 KB 
ID:	164867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1228.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	465.2 KB 
ID:	164868  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

He also has a superb sense of design.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Thank you Mike! You must have used a magic wand, fairy dust, superior intellect or.........all 3.

My apology to all for dropping out but my Life circumstances dictated that I must. Six years ago my wife was diagnosed with lung cancer, and the ensuing medical issues and doctor appointments dominated our calendar. That, and I was the one to do the housework etc. so shop time was very sketchy at best. It was because of this that I requested my name be removed from the CF Martin list of official service centers. I felt it was not fair to the Martin company, their customers, and to my own customers to maintain the Service Center status with such restricted time. I also began referring folks out to other luthiers to get their work done.

In May of this year we began the in-home hospice program for my Leitza, with me as primary caretaker. The Hospice of the Foothills of Grass Valley are a very helpful and compassionate group, and with their support and help I have weathered the storm, sort of. I am VERY busy with other things since the Camp Fire that burned the town of Paradise, just a bit farther north in the foothills. Homeowner's insurance got cancelled (a LOT of that going on around these parts) so I have been cutting trees and dragging brush for the chipping crew to come and turn it all into chips. Still many trees to cut down and other fire safety issues to deal with before it is all settled. At this point I have my firewood cut and dried for this winter, and will continue working the wood for the following winter as space allows.

I have been retired due to these circumstances, and at 75 it is time. I just don't have all the "gas" I used to have, and I find that when I do get back in the shop I have lost some of the familiarity of tools and processes. It causes me to stop and think about things that I 'normally' would have just got it done. I suppose it may be like riding a bicycle, that it comes back quickly, I hope so, but none the less, I have retired now from the work day world, and I still have much to do around home. I have a couple 'projects' in the shop, but fire season takes precedent and must be dealt with first. Last three months I have been 'running hard', lost 20+ lbs. but I sleep pretty well. I will be glad when all the fire season preparations are completed and I can rest, and then get back into the shop.

I have missed participating here and another couple fora, but this is where we are now. My website is still up though badly neglected, my apology.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Michael Lewis For This Useful Post:

And Michael will be celebrating his 75th trip around the sun a week from Wednesday, October 16. I know that well, since we were both born on the same day but about 150 miles apart and I have referred to him as my other brother from a different mother. Michael is indeed a great craftsman and luthier and a wonderful human being as well. I consider him a friend and have appreciated his mentorship over the years! My condolences for his loss of Leitza!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craigw For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the update Michael and good to hear from you again, though I wish circumstances were better. Hang in there!

14. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Michael, prayers for you and yours.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

16. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post:

My best to you, Michael. Like John said, it's good to hear from you.

18. The following members say thank you to Dale Ludewig for this post:

It is good to hear from you, Michael through we all wish the news was different. You have been in my thoughts lately, and that will continue. Take care of yourself, and all those around you.

20. The following members say thank you to Michael H Geimer for this post:

Hang in there Michael, you've gone through a lot. You are one of the best, hope to see you around Grass Valley at the 2020 FDF Bluegrass Festival, maybe just as an attendee to take in everything that you couldn't while in the Luthiers Pavilion.
    John A. Karsemeyer

22. The following members say thank you to JAK for this post:

Mr. Geimer, I miss the Strawberry festival at Camp Mather. It was a really good thing while it lasted, and you were there for some of it. Now we have memories.

24. The following members say thank you to Michael Lewis for this post: