Thread: Going to see Mike Compton tonight

Default Going to see Mike Compton tonight

For my birthday (which isn’t for a couple of weeks) my wife is taking me to see Mike Compton play tonight. I can’t wait!

Natural Born Tar Heel Perilous Deep's Avatar

Default Re: Going to see Mike Compton tonight

See you there!

If you can get down to Hyde Park early for the workshops, Mike is leading one at 3:15 in Ida Noyes Hall.
    "Pick it solid, boys." -Claude Debussy

3. The following members say thank you to Perilous Deep for this post:

Sounds like you got a keeper!

5. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Perilous Deep View Post
    See you there!

If you can get down to Hyde Park early for the workshops, Mike is leading one at 3:15 in Ida Noyes Hall.
    I wish I could. If he were going to give a workshop on mandolin pickin’ instead of an intro to bluegrass, I’d drop everything.

So the University of Chicago puts on an annual folk festival. This year the headliner and by far the most accomplished musician is Mike Compton. They have a 3 1/2 hour show and mismanage it so badly that Mike goes on with only 20 minutes left. His band plays four tunes and they kick him off the stage. They spent more time raffling off t-shirts than they gave him to play. Unbelievable.

Natural Born Tar Heel Perilous Deep's Avatar

Yeah this was really unfortunate. Unfortunately, it's also very typical of this festival, which relies on undergraduates to organize it and carry it all off. They also seem to take a perverse pride in the unprofessional character of the whole event. It's pretty much like this every year. Really too bad for everyone not to get to hear Mike play more.
    "Pick it solid, boys." -Claude Debussy

That’s frustrating

Interesting comments about the event. We were discussing the festival yesterday and someone had remarked that the jam aspect of the festival ,which was decent decades ago , has just about disappeared entirely . Hopefully they get a handle on this as it could lead to the demise of the festival .

Yeah this was really unfortunate. Unfortunately, it's also very typical of this festival, which relies on undergraduates to organize it and carry it all off. They also seem to take a perverse pride in the unprofessional character of the whole event. It's pretty much like this every year. Really too bad for everyone not to get to hear Mike play more.
    It's a shame about Compton. But the Festival has been running since 1961, which is pretty impressive I think. I strongly approve of the aspect I bolded above & hope it remains. Some years are gonna be better than others, c'est la vie (as the old folks say ...)

I would love to jam with folks at the festival next year if anyone is up for it.