Thread: Shipping Mandolin (& other instruments) via Cargo Ship

Question Shipping Mandolin (& other instruments) via Cargo Ship

Hi all,

So in a couple of weeks, I'm moving from the UK to Australia. I'm shipping my mandolin and other instruments (guitars both electric & acoustic, tenor banjo) via cargo container, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for how best to prepare the instruments for this?

As far as I'm aware the general advice is to detune the strings slightly, no more than a step or so, but I want to make sure I've got everything covered!

Thanks, crew!

Default Re: Shipping Mandolin (& other instruments) via Cargo Ship

I would acquire some silica gel packs. Instruments tend to survive sea voyages, but the amount of humidity is not ideal.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Personally,i'd make sure that the headstock is well supported,& i'd try to make sure that the instruments don't move around in their cases. The area where the neck joins the headstock can be a weak point. I've seen more than a few decapitated banjos (no jokes please !) due to 'whiplash' accidents after being dropped,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

A good anti-crush tip I picked up working in bike shops as a youngster is to use heavy cardboard tube sections. Plastic pipe can be used too. These are cut to fit between the broadest sides of the case. A square card chunk can be cut to make a foot either end to prevent a ring being pressed in the padding. These can be added in gaps to make little internal pillars to help withstand any inadvertent crushing in transit. Containers are normally fine in transit, but they do sometimes end up getting dropped or shifting, when the load inside can slump on top of anything adjacent to it.

For avoiding any salt or oily air ingress you can wrap the case in cling-film which will help to keep the level constant in transit. Then it’s just a case of removing that and leaving the cases to adjust slowly once received at the far end. Best avoid opening them straight away, a few days of sitting in the new house should give you a good margin for heat and moisture differences.

Enjoy the new life. Great adventures ahead I’m sure.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

5. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post: