Thread: Phish Festival Jams (specifically Dick's in CO)

Default Phish Festival Jams (specifically Dick's in CO)

So I'm taking a guess I'm not the only one on this forum that listens to Phish and attends shows. While I like going to Phish shows for the music, one thing I've noticed about Phish shows in general is the complete lack of a jam scene after 3 day shows.

This is a long shot I think but I'm hoping maybe, just maybe, someone from the Cafe is planning on attending the Labor Day weekend shows in CO. If so, let's meet up and jam! We can play anything (bluegrass, phish, dead, rock, gospel, vulfpeck, jazz etc) I just want to JAM there!!!

Wilson? Anyone? Maybe?
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Default Re: Phish Festival Jams (specifically Dick's in CO)

Hey man, I'm no King of Prussia but I remember back in the Great Went, Lemonwheel, etc. days there were tons of jams going on. Those air force base shows were the best, I clearly remember one dude riding down the tarmac on a skateboard playing slap bass with a battery powered backpack amp. Good times!!
    Maybe because it was more of a camping scene, are there camping options for the Dicks shows? I think that's your best bet. Much like the bluegrass festivals that conjure up their own mini-shows and jams at various campsites, that's where to find the musicians.

In honor of the first Phish thread I've ever seen on the cafe, I'll shut down the house tonight with a little Brian and Robert on mandolin in total darkness. Ahhhh...

I remember tons of impromptu jams popping up at Phish shows back in the 90s' when I caught the vast bulk of my shows. Anyway, I know you specified Dick's, but I will be at the Sunday Gorge show with a mandolin in tow. We are leaving Northwest String Summit early that morning and heading up.

Blog Entries

Hmmm. I must be too old, I had to read the Wiki to see what Phish was. Thanks for the learning!

(At first I thought Phish was referring to the computer scam by the same name.)

We can't make the CO show, but we'll be rooting for you there! I hope you find some jamming!
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Hmmm. I must be too old
    Hey man, I 'm 67 and have been to many Phish shows and have all their CDs.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Mar-20-2018 at 2:12pm. Reason: fixed quote syntax

Just saw this thread. I'll be at the Watkins Glenn Fest this year if anyone makes out east for it. And like someone previously mentioned, you should be able to find a jam or two in the Dicks campground.

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was more of a Deadhead back in the day, but I saw Phish a lot (and for free) in the early days before they were big. It's what we did when the Dead weren't touring.

Some time later I scored free tickets for the Great Went and was shocked to see so many people at one of their shows. It was HUGE!

However, TGW was the last time I saw them...and that was 20 years ago.

Larry

Hmmm. I must be too old, I had to read the Wiki to see what Phish was. Thanks for the learning!

(At first I thought Phish was referring to the computer scam by the same name.)

We can't make the CO show, but we'll be rooting for you there! I hope you find some jamming!
    Haha! Awesome Don! Phish have a fun diverse repertoire - here's a set they did the parking lot in 94 of bluegrass tunes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJqsTB20xG8

I actually first heard Old Home Place when Phish did it and I play Poor Heart (Phish original) all the time - very bluegrass-ish (save the bass solo which changes keys for a second).

Quote Originally Posted by gregoriousd View Post
    In honor of the first Phish thread I've ever seen on the cafe, I'll shut down the house tonight with a little Brian and Robert on mandolin in total darkness. Ahhhh...
    Awesome!

We camped at Dick's last year but there was very little jamming - most folks were listing to prerecorded music so busting in with my mandolin wasn't really an option I don't see a lot of jamming these days at Phish fests unfortunately

I think my lady and I have made the decision to try and sell the Dick's passes we have this year and do something else fun instead - maybe hike in Moab or something.

Mando's in use

I will be at the summer show in Raleigh and I will be definitely be picking in the lot.
    Please reach out if you will be at that show and you are interested :-)

I won't be at that one this year unfortunately - just the Forum in LA and maybe NYE in NYC if they do that again.

We did sell the Dick's tickets too They went QUICKLY.... Sad but I'm excited for something different!!

Mando's in use

Not my kind of music or my scene, but I have some friends who run a bluegrass pick every year at the Phish shows in Denver. As we get closer I would search on Facebook for Phish Bluegrass Pick at Dicks (or something like that).