Thread: What to do about crack on edge of maple back plate?

Default What to do about crack on edge of maple back plate?

This little devil reared its head today as I was shaping the outside of my #12 back plate. It is about 3/8" long and goes all the way through. This part of the plate will be glued at the tail block, which is 3/4" deep. So the entire crack will be covered by the block, and then some.

I was thinking about cutting it out with a coping saw and just use maple filler. Or should I just leave it? Mostly worried that it may open up years down the road...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180202_141142.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	533.5 KB 
ID:	164586

Default Re: What to do about crack on edge of maple back plate?

Not to be too harsh, but its clearly a defect on something new. Doesn't a new owner deserve the highest quality you can achieve, which may mean replacing the entire piece? I realize its an expensive alternative.

On the other hand, if it could be glued seamlessly I would think that it would be okay, but a repair with some filler doesn't seem appropriate to me. Other opinions will differ of course.

But would you buy a new front door with a patched in piece?

Just my $.02, since you asked.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

The piece itself has a unusual and beautiful curl to it so I'd prefer using it and make it aware to the future buyer. I recall a mando built by Gilchrist or perhaps Monteleone, where the back plate wasnt wide enough so he glued on an entire section. It was obvious, but he didnit because the piece was unique.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

No filler. No way to mask that. Another piece of maple, carefully matched might fly. Or some superglue wicked into the crack. But let us see the entire back so we can make an informed judgement on whether it is worth keeping.
    Sounds like you've decided to keep it, but if you're making this for someone, it's his or her call IMHO.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Fill it (perfectly) and then make it a dark sunburst. It won't show. That's what the "big boys" do. My friend works at Gibson and he says ebony finish guitars always have tons of filler................FWIW.

(not exactly a comforting thought, is it?)

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Fill it (perfectly) and then make it a dark sunburst. It won't show. That's what the "big boys" do. My friend works at Gibson and he says ebony finish guitars always have tons of filler................FWIW.

(not exactly a comforting thought, is it?)
    It doesn't look like crack (caused by mishandling etc...) but something inherent in the wood. Is there a pin knot to the left? Would you consider knotty pine low quality wood because of all the "defects" and of couse it needs some filer around the knots as well... I would give it my best try at closing it or filling it with tiny sliver of matching wood. Don't use CA, it will create black line. HHG should do well and the nmoisture will help close the gap. Still could be a blonde as well...
    Adrian

Thanks all. I cut it with a coping saw and worked in a tiny sliver. Worked out pretty good. Thanks for all the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by billhay4 View Post
    No filler. No way to mask that. Another piece of maple, carefully matched might fly. Or some superglue wicked into the crack. But let us see the entire back so we can make an informed judgement on whether it is worth keeping.
    Bill
    The board is from a hard maple crotch so that may explain the little knots and defects. Very “topographical” look to it. I stained it earlier to see how the crack would look before trying to fix it. Adrian, you are correct, it is a little pin knot. Several of them through the board.

Name:	0EBF7FC9-9FCF-480D-8F1A-C337B1AC45AE.jpeg 
Views:	286 
Size:	643.5 KB 
ID:	164589

9. The following members say thank you to fscotte for this post:

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Fish scale. No wonder you wanted to keep it. Thanks for the pic.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

I agree with Bill - that's a wonderful piece of timber there,i'd have kept it myself - as long at the customer is aware of what you've done,i don't see any problems. Minor defects like that make a piece of wood very unique & 'personal' to me, & i wouldn't hesitate to accept any instrument built using such wood - it's very beautiful !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    The board is from a hard maple crotch so that may explain the little knots and defects. Very “topographical” look to it. I stained it earlier to see how the crack would look before trying to fix it. Adrian, you are correct, it is a little pin knot. Several of them through the board.

Name:	0EBF7FC9-9FCF-480D-8F1A-C337B1AC45AE.jpeg 
Views:	286 
Size:	643.5 KB 
ID:	164589
    That’s a beautiful piece of wood. If it were going to be mine I happily accept the minor defect.

Since the crack is glued to the block it shouldn't present any problem, that is a gorgeous piece of wood and totally worth the effort.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    This little devil reared its head today as I was shaping the outside of my #12 back plate. It is about 3/8" long and goes all the way through. This part of the plate will be glued at the tail block, which is 3/4" deep. So the entire crack will be covered by the block, and then some.

I was thinking about cutting it out with a coping saw and just use maple filler. Or should I just leave it? Mostly worried that it may open up years down the road...

Name:	IMG_20180202_141142.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	533.5 KB 
ID:	164586
    Stupid question: What's the relative humidity level in your shop?

It's not a humidity issue. And Adrian guessed right, its a pin knot and that "crack" is part of the knot.

Teacher, repair person

For future reference, the better grades of hot hide glue don't show very much . . .
    Fillers are not adhesives and are not reliable when used in such a manner. If well splinted and glued, it should hold for 100 years or more.

I agree, that's a lovely piece of wood.