Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Northfield 'Airloom' case availability in the EU (Hopefully)

Default New Northfield 'Airloom' case availability in the EU (Hopefully)

For those of us in the UK & EU mainland,i was informed by Northfield in the Cafe NAMM thread,that they're hoping to make the new German manufactured Northfield 'Airloom' cases available to us via Germany.

Nothing has been arranged yet,but hopefully,we'll soon have the opportunity to buy a top quality case without the hassle & expense of importing one from the USA.

I'm only repeating what i've been told in it's 'own thread', to make Cafe folk in the UK & EU aware of what might be happening. If Northfield are willing to set up something for us,they deserve our support,especially as the case seems to be a very favourable option to our now ''lost'' Calton cases (note the headstock area space).

I'll publicly thank Adrian from Northfiled for his concern in this matter - & i'll have a grey one please !!
    Many thanks indeed - Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Northfield 'Airloom' case availability in the EU (Hopeful

From everything that has been said, ivan - the new 'Airloom Recurve' case is more of an alternative to a light rigid foam case (such as a Travelite) than it is to a Calton/Pegasus/Hoffee type flightcase. The mandolin cases seem to be modelled on the Jakob Winter 'Greenline' Violin/Viola cases. The new mando cases look nice, and do offer another great choice, but apples and oranges to a Calton, Peg, etc.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

3. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Ray(T) 

As I've said to Ivan, privately, they look like a "poshed-up" Shuster case to me - http://shuster.cz/sortiment/nggaller...r-na-mandolinu - don't ask me to translate from th CZ!

In the absence of either a Travelite case or a Calton case etc.,the only other hard cases of a similar SHAPE/SIZE available in the UK,are the Gator 'style' cases ie. the Gator case 'proper' or Hobgoblin music's version. Having got a Gator case,i can say that it's perfectly adequate,but it doesn't have as much headroom inside it as the new Northfield case seems to have & neither will one take my oversized Lebeda mandolin, internally it's 1" too short. Hence my enthusiasm for this new product from Northfield,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    In the absence of either a Travelite case or a Calton case etc.,the only other hard cases of a similar SHAPE/SIZE available in the UK,are the Gator 'style' cases ie. the Gator case 'proper' or Hobgoblin music's version. Having got a Gator case,i can say that it's perfectly adequate,but it doesn't have as much headroom inside it as the new Northfield case seems to have & neither will one take my oversized Lebeda mandolin, internally it's 1" too short. Hence my enthusiasm for this new product from Northfield, Ivan
    The inside of that NF case does look friendly for everyday use. And nice latches. I have a couple travelites and have grown not fond of dealing with the zipper for everyday in/out.

If German manu. comes to pass, I'd be eager to see what it looks like. I have v.1 of the Airloom (+ case cover) and it's a cool case; although, as someone said, it ain't no Calton/Hoffee/Peg/Leaf.

Hi Mark - Some folk like zippers,some don't. I think that it's a matter of getting used to one. However,on a case with a tough fabric outer covering,there's no simple option unless you go the press stud route,then you'd have a dozen or so studs to fasten.

The new Northfield case was never intended to be another ''Calton'',that was made pretty clear in the original info. posted on here. What it IS ,is a very good quality case in it's own right,capable of protecting a mandolin against all but extreme accidents. It looks to be roomy, & large enough length wise to take my Lebeda mandolin & i do like the headstock space.

I sincerely hope that Northfield can set something up for us - it's more than SAGA offered to do regarding the availability of their Travelite cases in the EU, & kudos to Northfield for at least the offer of help,even if,for some reason it doesn't happen,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Before this thread speculates any further, has anyone actually seen one of the Northfield cases in the flesh?

10. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Before this thread speculates any further, has anyone actually seen one of the Northfield cases in the flesh?
    The way people fret over case durability is kind of crazy. I take my mandolin out of the house every day and don't really worry about it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric C. For This Useful Post:

Yes, see post 6. It's a beauty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Airloom in cover2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	293.4 KB 
ID:	164511  

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    The way people fret over case durability is kind of crazy. I take my mandolin out of the house every day and don't really worry about it.
    I was chatting with the mandolin player of "Front Country" at a gig and he said his case was dropped and the head of his Collings broke. I have a Travellite which has fallen off the shelf (or been knocked by the cat) three or four times and there's never been any damage to my instrument. My other mandolins are in these plywood affairs which I am very wary of trusting when out and about.
    So I'm with Ivan, anything in the Travellite range of protection is most welcome here.

15. The following members say thank you to Darren Bailey for this post:

Darren - That's exactly why i consider the Travelite cases to be possibly,the ''most protective'' against everyday knocks currently available. They're very well 'cushioned' inside & out. However,i'm ultra careful with almost all things that are breakable,as are the majority of us. Nobody deliberately places anything of value in danger,& most cases 'used carefully' will do the job. Even in the almost bomb-proof Mark Leaf cases,nobody would hurl their mandolin off the 10th floor of a building (would they ?).

Every instrument case that i can think of in any material,is useless if misused,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

17. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

From Ray - " Before this thread speculates any further, has anyone actually seen one of the Northfield cases in the flesh ?" Look here :- https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...AMM-Show/page2 post #48
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Yes, see post 6. It's a beauty.
    Is the case in your picture the same case Ivan started this thread about? (Looks rectangular to me)

Is the case in your picture the same case Ivan started this thread about? (Looks rectangular to me)
    Hadn't seen the new NF case in the NAMM thread. Different case, for sure.

Blog Entries

This has all been widely discussed in the NAMM thread since last Thursday, including comments from the guy that paid for them. Most of these questions have already been answered. That's only the first post, there are many more on other pages in that thread that include questions answered by Adrian.

I think people are aware of that but I think some people on this side of the pond would like to see one for themselves. I'm not interested personally - I have enough cases to serve the mandolins I have - including a Shuster which the "Heirloom" cases reminded me of. Seem to be available in any colour you like as long as it's black! .....and if you can speak Czech.

The following images are from the Schuster website -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin1.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	164532Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin2.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	164533

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray(T) For This Useful Post:

For those who are still interested (no personal interest), just found out that the Airloom Recurve case is available at the New Acoustic Gallery (Germany) in all colors:

https://n-a-g.info/index.php/compone...hoer/mandoline

25. The following members say thank you to FPhil for this post:

And only 349/375€. My last, UK built, Calton cost me less than that (delivered).

And only 349/375€. My last, UK built, Calton cost me less than that (delivered).
    However, there are no Caltons being built in the U.K. since the operations moved to Texas some years back. The cost of importing them likely adds to their pricing overseas.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Yes, I know that. I bought my first case from Keith in 1976 and my last in 2008.

Thumbs up Re: New Northfield 'Airloom' case availability in the EU (Hopeful

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    However, there are no Caltons being built in the U.K. since the operations moved to Texas some years back. The cost of importing them likely adds to their pricing overseas.
    Didn't mention the prices on purpose, but I'm wondering if they first where shipped from Germany to the US and then shipped back to Germany. That will add some serious costs, similar Jakob Winter violin cases are a lot cheaper, but the market for that kind of cases is in the EU much bigger, which normally also effects the price.
    Last edited by FPhil; Jan-02-2019 at 7:17am.

Ref post # 18 - The cost of one of the new Northfield cases in £UK is £337 ( $430 US). The US price quoted by Northfield :- https://www.northfieldinstruments.co...irloom-recurve is $275 US. = a large price hike, & no longer worth it when i can but a Travelite from the US at less than 1/3 of the cost = £111.0 UK ($142.0 US) inc. import fees. The whole idea of being able to buy them from an EU country where they're made, was to be able to purchase one at a cost ''minus import duty''. If i were to import a Northfield case from the US at Northfield's quoted 'basic' cost of $275 US (Slate Grey),i'd expect to pay 25% on top of that. Even that only brings the total to £271 UK - so why £337 UK ??.

I sincerely hope that the EU retailers will be very happy with their cases for a long time. EU / UK ripped off once more ! (NO disrespect to Nothfield - the retailers put the price on the goods)
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I am looking for a standard A-5 case in Europe.

Would Jacob Winter do such a case? I think it would have to be a custom case as they only seem to do violin cases in the style like a TKL case.
    Nic Gellie

Jakob Winter is the manufacturer of the Recurve case made for Northfield.

33. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post: