Thread: Killing my mandolins sound...

Default Killing my mandolins sound...

After deciding that I am really enjoying the mandolin I upgraded from my Fender CT-100 (assuming it's all pressed ply construction) to a Loar LM-520. The Loar came setup so much better than the Fender it's like night and day. I have practice times where I sit up and pay closer attention to posture and technique but I also like to keep an instrument handy to noodle around on while watching TV at night in my recliner. I noticed that sometimes the Loar seemed to have a lot less in volume even than my cheap Fender. I never really noticed this with the Fender even when sitting back in the recliner.

Are solid wood constructed instruments more prone to tone killing from contact with your body than ply/ pressed instruments?

Upon doing a little reading I see where even some of the highest quality instruments can suffer from this contact while being played standing up. I was worried a at first until I put together a pattern of when this was happening.

Thanks, Mike
    Gibson Jam Master A #56
    Kentucky KM-1500 89302
    Kentucky KM-505

Default Re: Killing my mandolins sound...

Hi Mike,
    There is good evidence that compressing the mandolin back with your body does dampen the sound. Check out the threads on Tonegards... Many mandolin gunslingers like John Reischman and Chris Thile use them to increase the responsiveness of their instruments. One thread is here:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...light=Tonegard
    Dan Scullin
    Louisville, KY

3. The following members say thank you to dscullin for this post:

Don't let Mike Marshall catch you slouching, but a toneguard should work wonders. You will have your ears further back too. Sitting up straight should have you more over than behind.

I play more than I should with my executive style office chair reclined back and my feet propped up on the desk, sometimes with two or three dogs sitting in my lap as well.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Lol, I only have to deal with two dogs when my wife gets out the vacuum cleaner. They don't care what Im doing then.
    Gibson Jam Master A #56
    Kentucky KM-1500 89302
    Kentucky KM-505

I have used a toneguard for several years, these days I am not. I am thinking it makes it sound better to the player, but has much less effect for the listener.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

8. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I have used a toneguard for several years, these days I am not. I am thinking it makes it sound better to the player, but has much less effect for the listener.
    I find if a mandolin sounds great to you by use of a tone guard, keep using it because if it helps get the sound out and you like it better even though it doesn't matter to listeners you'll be a happier picker when you can hear the ancient tones! You will play better oh yes sir. If I play and can hear my sound I feel as though I play better, I'm happier anyway. Just my opinion

10. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Registered User Otis_Spunkmeyer's Avatar

Love my tonegard
    South West Jersey. Kentucky km-650. Delyeah!

12. The following members say thank you to Otis_Spunkmeyer for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    I find if a mandolin sounds great to you by use of a tone guard, keep using it because if it helps get the sound out and you like it better even though it doesn't matter to listeners you'll be a happier picker when you can hear the ancient tones! You will play better oh yes sir. If I play and can hear my sound I feel as though I play better, I'm happier anyway. Just my opinion
    I agree, it seems mostly I get the same sound as I don't hold it against my body anyway. I still have a couple should I have the need to use them. Sitting down when I play makes it easy to hold it away. I also had some concern about the fit in my case causing undue pressure on the top, so I took it off and found I really didn't miss it much.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

14. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Great points everyone. Right now I am the player and listener but Tone Garden is now on my wish list.
    Thanks
    Gibson Jam Master A #56
    Kentucky KM-1500 89302
    Kentucky KM-505

Well since this conversation wondered if to a tone guard, let me bring it back.

My km250 would do that when I got it, I don't think it was played much before me, I bought it used. The more I played it, the better it got.

I think your answer is partly the mando, partly, and more likely, your pic angle. Try it, rotate your hand forward a few strokes and then flat and then backwards.

Bet you find that's it's more you getting used to a new mandolin than the mandolin.....that's what my issue was.

17. The following members say thank you to B381 for this post:

My pick attack is evolving for sure. I have played guitar holding my pick with the tips of my fingers for so long I slip back to that before long when playing. The thicker picks are taking some getting used to also. I'm working on that rolling pick attack(rotate forward then back). I'm so used to anchoring my arm (that kills tone too I'm sure) that it's really giving me fits.
    Gibson Jam Master A #56
    Kentucky KM-1500 89302
    Kentucky KM-505

I'm just recovering from a severely pulled muscle in my left side. For a few days i was wandering around in my PJ's & dressing gown,even when practicing. I can tell you one thing for certain,the sleeve of a thick,fluffy dressing gown touching the top of a mandolin kills it stone dead !!!. I rolled my sleeve up & all was well - so,could your clothing be causing a problem ?. The only thing that should really touch the top,is the bridge. I like armrests for that purpose,but having had a slight accident with one in the past, which very slightly damaged the mandolin,i won't fit one - but they are a good idea.
    Also,holding the mandolin at 45 deg to your body helps,as it doesn't dampen any vibrations from the back of the mandolin,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post: