Thread: What's Up With A?

Default What's Up With A?

If any strings are likely to go out of tune, it's always the A strings. I did not have this trouble with violins or tenor guitars, and I thought it was unique to mandolins, but it also occurs on my Garrison octave mandolin. Does anyone have any idea what's up with AA? Why are those the bad boys of the mando string team?

Default Re: What's Up With A?

My A string also seems to go out more often. I've always assumed it was because I used that course of strings more often than the others. I have a lot more fret wear on that course too.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...Wound-a-string

"My main reason for wanting to try a wound A is that I have read they're more stable tuning-wise than an unwound A. " - https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/m...php?1226-g-mac

Well, they do have wound A strings for classical mandolin. The tone is also darker than a plain A, which is what I use. I like the plain A sound and feel, but it is the hardest to keep in tune it seems.

4. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Blog Entries

Do you know David who makes a medium/heavy gauge mandolin set with the wound A strings? I'd like to try a set out, if its darker it may work well for my old F-5's in bluegrass style?

D’addar Flattops are one brand with a wound A string. Don Rigsby uses them on his Sorenson to good effect, to say the least.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Does anyone on here know of a dealer that sells single Wound A strings? I don`t want to buy a whole set of strings just to get a wound A string, I already have six or seven sets of strings and would like to try a wound A string and compare it to an unwound one...

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    Does anyone on here know of a dealer that sells single Wound A strings? I don`t want to buy a whole set of strings just to get a wound A string, I already have six or seven sets of strings and would like to try a wound A string and compare it to an unwound one...

Willie
    Try d’addario direct. I love the tone from my a in the flattop sets.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    Does Mapes offer a wound A? If so maybe they will sell a custom set of (8) wound A strings

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Seruntine View Post
    If any strings are likely to go out of tune, it's always the A strings.
    That seems the case. I've been experimenting with various gauges of A and E strings looking to see if rebalancing string tension makes any difference.

What size are your strings now?

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    Do you know David who makes a medium/heavy gauge mandolin set with the wound A strings? I'd like to try a set out, if its darker it may work well for my old F-5's in bluegrass style?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    D’addar Flattops are one brand with a wound A string. Don Rigsby uses them on his Sorenson to good effect, to say the least.
    Thanks for the answer; I was mostly referring to the Classical flatwound strings by Pyramid and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    That seems the case. I've been experimenting with various gauges of A and E strings looking to see if rebalancing string tension makes any difference.

What size are your strings now?
    Presently, on the mandolin, I'm using GHS Silk & Steel. The AA is LM16. But I've had this problem with several other string makers too.

If the KM-272 has any major shortcoming, it's they use bottom line Gotohs. I know Gotoh makes decent tuners at the mid and upper end, so I think I'll replace the tuning machines. Yet, since I get the same problem on my octave mandolin, I think it is more than just a matter of the tuners.