Thread: Paganoni For Sale

Default Paganoni For Sale

Wow Wayne Benson is selling his # 5 Paganoni F-5 mandolin on the Classifieds.
    John Dudeck

Blog Entries

Default Re: Paganoni For Sale

That was recently at Tony Williamsons Mandolin Central for sale, I bet it's a pretty good mandolin with a redone top to "Crusher specs" Too bad it aint original and then it would be worth the $ to me anyway.

I agree. I think # 8 was at Tony's not sure about # 5
    John Dudeck

Many years ago I drove 700 miles to look at that mandolin. It was a wreck then, unplayable without buzzing and fretting out at all positions. Although I believe the top was salvageable at that point. It was not a typical Gibson-style top carving though, with enormous recurve all around the perimeter. Still, it sounded like it had potential, but at the asking price I just felt it was too much of a risk. Now it has more Red Diamond than Paganoni character. Great looking instrument with an interesting history.

Blog Entries

The crusher #5 Pag was just at Tony's for quite a while, I'm sure its a great mandolin but not being a full Pag I didn't want it/or try to get it. I had Pag DL-8 for a while but let it go, I'd get another because they are great sounding mandolins. Also rare, John's been making them since the early 70's and I don't believe he's made more than 60 mandolins?

I agree you just might as well buy a Red Diamond.
    John Dudeck

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Many years ago I drove 700 miles to look at that mandolin. It was a wreck then, unplayable without buzzing and fretting out at all positions. Although I believe the top was salvageable at that point. It was not a typical Gibson-style top carving though, with enormous recurve all around the perimeter. Still, it sounded like it had potential, but at the asking price I just felt it was too much of a risk. Now it has more Red Diamond than Paganoni character. Great looking instrument with an interesting history.

I played that mandolin many years ago in its’ original state. It belonged to Gary McElwee here in Atlanta. I played it around 2000 or so. The recurve was odd and the top arch was a bit bulbous between the bridge and tailpiece. But it sounded great. It had the coveted “wooden bells” tone.
    Gary passed away a dozen or so years ago. The Pag was purchased from his widow and sent to Don for repair. I have no idea what it sounds like now, but I’m sure it’s a bit different.

Barry, I'm not surprised that it sounded great. It sure seemed like it had the potential. Wish I could have played it in the condition you did. It was sometime between 1996 and 2000 when I looked at it in disrepair. I don't remember the date exactly, but I know what car I was driving - bought in '96 - and it was before my daughter was born in 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Barry, I'm not surprised that it sounded great. It sure seemed like it had the potential. Wish I could have played it in the condition you did. It was sometime between 1996 and 2000 when I looked at it in disrepair. I don't remember the date exactly, but I know what car I was driving - bought in '96 - and it was before my daughter was born in 2000.
    #5 was for sale spring of 2000. I just looked that up from the old Co-mando archives. You must have looked at it around that time. Gary must have bought it and had it set up. I played it summer of 2000. I remember because I was playing a ‘96 F5L that I became dissatisfied with after playing the Pag. I was lucky enough to acquire Pag #2 about 5 years ago. Those old Paganoni Model B’s are way cool.

I had the pleasure to play Barry's Pag #2 for a a little bit about three years ago. I'm still in awe, especially how it compared to some mighty fine mandolins that night. I have wondered ever since if ANYONE can replicate that sound. It would be nice to play #5 and see.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

I got to play #5 when Gary had it. This was out in California at a Frank Wakefield weekend workshop. I remember the bridge leaning forward and that big bulge between the bridge and tailpiece. I had a fairly new Gilchrist at the time that I thought was good, but that Pag blew it away. It was one of the best mandolins I'd ever played.

I kept in touch with Gary and sent him tons of music to listen to when he became ill. We sure had a good time together in California--what a fine person he was. I always wondered what happened to Gary's mandolin. It certainly made a big impression on me. Too bad that top couldn't be saved. It had the tone.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I bought the mandolin sent it to Don the top could not be saved it was collapsing actually it's hanging on my daughters bedroom wall it looks good there
    It's a great mandolin Don done an excellent job on it
    Very strong mandolin I did some trading with Benson on it a few years back
    I've owned 7 or 8 Pags and this one is near the top of the pack
    Danny
    Danny Clark

13. The following members say thank you to Danny Clark for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Clark View Post
    I bought the mandolin sent it to Don the top could not be saved it was collapsing actually it's hanging on my daughters bedroom wall it looks good there
    It's a great mandolin Don done an excellent job on it
    Very strong mandolin I did some trading with Benson on it a few years back
    I've owned 7 or 8 Pags and this one is near the top of the pack
    Danny
    Hey Danny-
    Could you please post a picture of the top? I'm curious to see if it is how I remember it from almost 18 years ago.

Hey Barry
    It's been so long I've forgot how to post a picture
    Send,me a email
    I will send you one and you can post it if you want to
    Danny
    Dlclark804@yahoo.com
    Danny Clark

Blog Entries

I have no doubt the crusher modified Pag sounds great but a wee bit too pricey IMHO for an unoriginal Pag. Maybe if it was whole. I'm not throwing off on Don Mac. He for sure knows how to build em and happy that the Pag was salvageable. Its a for sure players piece to be enjoyed. I imagine someone will buy her, you get a Pag/Red Diamond in one package. And more than likely it's a monster! I've had a lot of mandolins, less than some more than others and I'd get another Pag in a heartbeat if it was original. They are fantastic mandolins compared to others and those who have them don't usually sell! They are that rare.

What does model B stand for?
    John Dudeck

Quote Originally Posted by Gibsonman View Post
    What does model B stand for?
    John Paganoni did not want to do anything to infringe on Gibson trademarks, and even sought permission from Gibson prior to building his first mandolins. He was the first builder to put his name on F-5 copies instead of "The Gibson". In the same spirit, he called his F-5 design the Model B (for bluegrass) instead of using the Gibson nomenclature.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barry For This Useful Post:

Thank you Barry I did not know that.
    John Dudeck

Here is the picture, that Danny Clark sent me, of the original top. The recurve does look a bit wonkey.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E065CF79-1923-4DA6-9068-CF026DF4EF4C.jpeg 
Views:	264 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	164522