Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Collings mandolin thoughts?

Default Re: Collings mandolin thoughts?

Check at Gruhn's or go there if you can and play a wide variety of instruments. I played on several Collings but I preferred the Ellis, Wienman or Griouard myself. For the money and sound you can't beat a Wienman . E-mail or call George Gruhn for his thoughts as he is very helpful and knowledgeable .

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Thanks for everyone's input on OP's thread! I'm looking forward to trying out the MF at this Wednesday's jam session. Have mixed emotions, though. Had planned to learn a lot about different styles, etc. and play different brands over the next couple of years. If the price is attractive enough, this one might be hard to pass up.

Thought I had read in the Forum at one time an F style is preferred for bluegrass. I love to listen to BG, but don't expect to play much of it for the forseeable future.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

For some, the F-style is important to bluegrass, because Bill Monroe played one and many, many, many who have followed him have followed suit with the F-style. But, it is important to remember that the F-style mandolin was not designed for bluegrass music. Mandolin orchestras and a general mandolin craze was what was in Mr. Gibson's mind, I believe, when he designed the F.

Whether you play F or A style, ff-holes, oval or round holes, flat top or carved, really will depend on how you like the sound and feel of that particular mandolin. If I were in your current situation, I'd get the bottom line details and get the mandolin in my hands for a trial. That's the only way to know whether it is what you want right now.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I have an Alvarez M100, an Eastman 505 and a Collings MT2. The Alvarez was my 1st mandolin, plays ok and I’ll take it with me to the beach or camping. I’ll travel with the Eastman on work trips, it sounds very good. But the only compliments I get are on the Collings tone. I can hear the difference in tone, but I think you should have someone else play the Collings and listen, or record your playing to hear how it sounds to others. I primarily got my used Collings because I liked the neck shape/playability. I’m looking, but I am not sure I’ll find a mandolin with better value than my MT2.

The reason the person I bought my Collings from was selling it (he said) was to get the funds to buy an expensive (IMHO) guitar (as I play guitar also and that particular brand is more than I have EVER paid for a guitar.) And it has found a forever home with me, and he says he is thrilled with his guitar, so we BOTH win!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    Thanks for everyone's input on OP's thread! I'm looking forward to trying out the MF at this Wednesday's jam session. Have mixed emotions, though. Had planned to learn a lot about different styles, etc. and play different brands over the next couple of years. If the price is attractive enough, this one might be hard to pass up.

Thought I had read in the Forum at one time an F style is preferred for bluegrass. I love to listen to BG, but don't expect to play much of it for the forseeable future.
    I didn't ever think I wanted to play bluegrass, but it has begun to creep into my mandolin vocabulary, as I'm a generalist and tend to want to play a bit of everything. BG licks are just so much fun.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I didn't ever think I wanted to play bluegrass, but it has begun to creep into my mandolin vocabulary, as I'm a generalist and tend to want to play a bit of everything. BG licks are just so much fun.
    Wish I could play licks of any kind! One step at a time, right?

"Licks of Any Kind" . that sounds like a fiddle tune title

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Stueve View Post
    "Licks of Any Kind" . that sounds like a fiddle tune title
    When you write it, please send me the sheet music.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    They are (in my experience) excellent instruments. Very good indeed. Across the board, build quality, materials, finish and playability is very fine indeed. This is not to say YOU might end up liking something else 'better', but that's subjective. There's really very little to criticize. They certainly will not "hold you back"....
    I was gonna opine on my time with a Collings MT but it would only repeat this. I had same time as a Satin Pava and while they sound different they were both perfect to play and look at. Satin finish on both would be my only nit. Sold both with pinky shine spots

I wasn't a fan of the satin finish either on my MTO, which has a gloss top, but the satin sides and back, so I buffed them out after reading a thread here where someone had done the same thing to their MT. Very pleased with the results and it took less than an hour!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0701.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	453.2 KB 
ID:	164506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0700.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	321.5 KB 
ID:	164507
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Yep. I have seen some nice results like yours. Well done

14. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Blog Entries

I have really loved every MT I have had opportunity to try. And while my first love has always been oval holes, I prefer the MT to the MT-O sound.

Its a great mandolin that can make you happy for the rest of your life. You likely will get another one or two mandolins down the line, (no matter what you buy) but I can't see that you will ever be disappointed with the Collings.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    I wasn't a fan of the satin finish either on my MTO, which has a gloss top, but the satin sides and back, so I buffed them out after reading a thread here where someone had done the same thing to their MT. Very pleased with the results and it took less than an hour!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0701.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	453.2 KB 
ID:	164506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0700.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	321.5 KB 
ID:	164507
    Looks wonderful. What was your process?

17. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

I have played both Gibson and Collings, and liked some of each, and didn't like others. So I guess that means that playing it is important. But most mail order places give you a return period, and nothing beats playing it in your own home.

In general, I find the finish on the Collings to be superior. They really have it down, reminds me a lot of Taylor guitars.

I also find the Collings to be more consistent in the tone, but not 100%.

But,if you are looking for the Gibson sound, it's hard to be a new Gibson, they are really producing fine instruments these days. But you'll spend more for a Gibson than a comparable Collings.

This is just my opinion on my limited observations, worth not quite 2 cents.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Looks wonderful. What was your process?
    Try Googling "Collings buff satin polish site:mandolincafe.com" and you will get a bunch of threads discussing the process. That's what I did. Then I went out and bought a bottle of Meguiars Rubbing Compound and a bottle of Meguiars Polishing Compound. I now have enough of each for about a hundred mandolins. Willing to share if you wanna come visit.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Try Googling "Collings buff satin polish site:mandolincafe.com" and you will get a bunch of threads discussing the process. That's what I did. Then I went out and bought a bottle of Meguiars Rubbing Compound and a bottle of Meguiars Polishing Compound. I now have enough of each for about a hundred mandolins. Willing to share if you wanna come visit.
    Thanks. I did just the opposite with my old Eastman 505 - took the gloss OFF and buffed to satin. Looked more like a violin, rubbed-on finish after a little use. I just don’t know if I’ve got the guts to try and make my MT look like that.

I'd say if you find one you like, don't exchange mandolins at a jam with someone who owns a vastly superior instrument! I love my Kentuckys, but swapped my 505 for a Gibson (just for one song) and couldn't believe how thin and weedy the sound of my own instrument seemed once it came back to me. Prior to this I had always been extremely happy with it. I suppose this is why we keep moving up the food-chain.

22. The following members say thank you to Darren Bailey for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Bailey View Post
    I'd say if you find one you like, don't exchange mandolins at a jam with someone who owns a vastly superior instrument! I love my Kentuckys, but swapped my 505 for a Gibson (just for one song) and couldn't believe how thin and weedy the sound of my own instrument seemed once it came back to me. Prior to this I had always been extremely happy with it. I suppose this is why we keep moving up the food-chain.
    A buddy of mine, when he started expanding his wine palate (and budget), said, "The problem with these 90 point wines is that they ruin you for the 88's!"
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

Thanks. I did just the opposite with my old Eastman 505 - took the gloss OFF and buffed to satin. Looked more like a violin, rubbed-on finish after a little use. I just don’t know if I’ve got the guts to try and make my MT look like that.
    I used the same stuff HonketyHank did - the Meguiars Rubbing and Polishing compounds. I had hesitated initially but after reading about and seeing the results other folks had doing the same thing I decided to go for it, and didn't regret it!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I played an MT-O at Gryphon today that was absolutely sublime. That’s not to say that the MT isn’t great also, just different. I was surprised at the amount of projection from an oval. It seems like the prices have ratcheted up in the last year but in MHOP still worth every penny. i remember being a little disappointed when Gryphon adopted Collings as their flagship builder -moving away from Weber in the process. Now I finally get it. Sorry for the effusive praise, still feeling the glow.

Good information here about the tuners.

The build quality and finish on my MT are flawless. Looks like aliens made the thing. And I love the Collings sound: I find it unique in a world of Gibson clones. My Collings is perfect for me. YMMV.
    Ditto. I have owned an MT and now an MF. The workmanship is flawless. The sound is perfection. I have played them back to back against many mandolins, Gibsons, Webers, etc. and I am drawn to the Collings sound. Been using the MF now for 8 years and will continue to do so.

[QUOTE=Jill McAuley;1628747]I wasn't a fan of the satin finish either on my MTO, which has a gloss top, but the satin sides and back, so I buffed them out after reading a thread here where someone had done the same thing to their MT. Very pleased with the results and it took less than an hour!/QUOTE]

Goodness, that sure makes the backs look nicer! Great job
    Russ Jordan

29. The following members say thank you to Russ Jordan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by kwd View Post
    I played an MT-O at Gryphon today that was absolutely sublime. That’s not to say that the MT isn’t great also, just different. I was surprised at the amount of projection from an oval. It seems like the prices have ratcheted up in the last year but in MHOP still worth every penny. i remember being a little disappointed when Gryphon adopted Collings as their flagship builder -moving away from Weber in the process. Now I finally get it. Sorry for the effusive praise, still feeling the glow.

Good information here about the tuners.
    Looks like Gryphon has several MT-O's at the moment. If you don't mind my asking, which one in particular did you like? Sorry, hope this isn't a thread hijack, but I guess it's still about Collings mandos.

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have completely bonded with the sound of my gloss black MTO. Since it came into my life two years ago I haven't come across anything that suits me better. Fiddle tunes, jazz chord-melody or Bach, the instrument delivers. No bluegrass in my life so YMMV.

32. The following members say thank you to Michael Neverisky for this post: