Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Collings mandolin thoughts?

Default Collings mandolin thoughts?

I’m looking to buy a Collings mandolin. What are some of your thoughts on them and how do they compare to newer Gibson’s? Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Collings mandolin thoughts?

To me, it's all about the sound. I think the Collings sound is less Gibsony than a Gibson but more Gibsony than a Weber. I have owned one of each, so those are my comparison points. All three can be, and usually are, very fine instruments. But still, play before you commit.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

3. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

As a beginner, I went to the Mandolon Store in AZ and played a bunch. I’m convinced that it’s all subjective but I was not convinced that the pac rim instruments were what I wanted. Personally I like a rich, full set of tones and I thought the Eastmans, Kentucky’s etc leaned to mostly a narrow range inthe high end. When I picked up the Weber’s and the Collings, I thought” now we’re talking”
    Even the 4K Gibson they had there didn’t seem to have much character. It was just too perfect. (I’ll get some argument on that) Each instrument is different of course but to my ears, the Collings MTO had just the “right” sound.
    Peter Kaufman violin
    Old Wave two point

5. The following members say thank you to Cochiti Don for this post:

Blog Entries

I've played many Collings mandos and owned just 2 both were Varnished Birdseye blonde back and sides and neck, red spruce top, A-5 style and they were pretty great!!, but I'm just a fan of the old Gibson sound/voice/tone etc... So off they went. I'm not saying they're bad, fit and finish is superb, play like butter but to me they were a modern sounding mandolin like just about every high $$ mandolin out there IMHO. They are way better than the imports I've played like Kentucky/Eastman/etc.. So I've decided if I buy anything it'll be old Gibson's maybe the right newer MModel Gibson, A Vessel Loar type tribute, a Paganoni F-5 and that's about it, Maybe the right tone bared Gilchrist? I've never played the Collings deluxe style Varnished F-5? But I've just had so many low and high and super high dollar mandolins I know what I'm sticking with and after so many years of playing I know what I like and I'm not wasting time to find the "one" I already have that. But nothing wrong with a Collings-great mandolins! Resale is good value on em.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

I owned a Collings MT for a few months. Most comfortable neck I've ever played, and could be set up amazingly low without buzzing (I didn't leave it that low, but was just playing with it when it was new). Tone is a bit more in the modern tone camp than that of Gibson, IMO. Think Taylor vs Martin tone in the guitar world. (I hate generalizations like that, but think it's helpful if people know the general characteristics of those brands).

I ultimately decided that I liked the tone of my Silverangel, which is a bit more traditional but with more bass response than a typical Gibson, a little better, so I turned the MT into a mandocello That said, had the Collings been the only mandolin I had, I would have been very happy with it. Exceptional build quality, fit and finish, and really cut through the din in jams/band settings. One of the better mandolins I've heard/played was one of their MF-V models. Man, that was the cat's meow...of course, it was almost 9 grand, so I don't own it, but...

If you're looking for a "budget" professional mandolin, or a step up from a beginner instrument, you can't go wrong with a MT, IMO. And, they only tend to get better as you move up their food chain.
    Chuck

I’ve loved the tone of every Collings mandolin and guitar I’ve heard. I love everything about them. You may not.

I was drawn to getting a Collings (having previously owned several Webers, and two mandolins from small shop builders) because every one that I've picked up has been really consistent as regards fit, finish, playability and sound. I know some folks aren't fans of the Collings sound, so it really depends on what your own preferences are in that department. I'm a fan.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

just bought a Collings MF ivory bound gloss top with wide nut. Coming off a Kentucky KM1000 I've been playing for 10+ years. I was not able to A/B a Gibson/Collings side by side since there were no Gibsons around here, however I can say I'm one of those guys that picks up mandolins in every store I go into while traveling looking for "the one", including Gibson, and when I picked up the Collings it fit like a glove and was the most comfortable mando I've ever played. And sound-wise compared to the Kentucky a ballpark above, much louder and much more resonant, but I suppose it better be for 4x the price. I know I didn't exactly address your question, but if great comfort with great tone is what your after, Collings is a solid pick. If you're just a tone-dweller first and foremost, hate to say it but as they all say - better play them side by side.
    Collings MF Gloss Top mandolin, Kentucky KM-1000 mandolin, Godin A-8 electric mandolin, Pono Ukulele, Gold Tone PBS Signature Resonator guitar, Martin/Taylor 6 & 12 string acoustic guitars, Les Paul/ES-335/LP Jr./Strat/Tele elec guitars.

Short answer is you can't go wrong. Another short answer is you may like other like priced instruments better.

If you can't try a bunch of mandolins and have to order one, you'll most probably really like it. I can't recall anyone ever saying it wasn't a very well made great playing instrument.

I would not trade my Silverangel for one, but would gladly own one if I indulged in more.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

The build quality and finish on my MT are flawless. Looks like aliens made the thing. And I love the Collings sound: I find it unique in a world of Gibson clones. My Collings is perfect for me. YMMV.

14. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

I own a Collings MT, a Weber, and a Pava player. The Collings compares favorably with the other two, it has tremendous overtones, and sounds way better than I expected. I am vey satisfied (bought the mandolin used.) I cannot compare with a Gibson as I never owned one.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Hank & Brick on on the mark. I've never played a Collings that I didn't like. But I have played a few mandolins that I like better. Collings are dependable, consistent and sound good. Many Gibsons also sound good.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

ehhh...guess this one sounds okay.... anything more needed?

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mtucker For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
    ehhh...guess this one sounds okay.... anything more needed?
    Well I have never played a Collings that sounded like that!

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

I've been trying to find the price progression of Collings mandolin models with no luck. Does anyone know the order?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    I've been trying to find the price progression of Collings mandolin models with no luck. Does anyone know the order?
    Kinda expensive, moderately expensive, take a deep breath expensive, and when I win the lottery expensive.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

For A models: MT, MT-O, MT2, MT2-O, MT2-V

For F models: MF, MF-O, MF Deluxe, MF-O Deluxe, MF5, MF5-O
    Last edited by Jill McAuley; Jan-27-2018 at 2:05am.
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

24. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

A Collings MT was my gateway drug into the world of A5's. My thoughts on Collings mandolins are as follows:

1) Objectively, they are impeccably designed and executed with flawless fit and finish like all Collings instruments. Subjectively, some people admire that level of perfection while others find it cold and sterile.

2) This precision carries over to playability, where optimized fret leveling and nut filing allows for low action and comfortable fretting. Collings necks typically have a pronounced V-shape, and some people prefer other profiles (more rounded, more meat in the shoulders, etc.). For me, Collings mandolins have become the gold standard for playability by which all others are measured.

3) Collings tone is generally lumped in the modern camp, with the trebles on the equalizer turned up to high. In a noisy jam setting with lots of loud instruments, this quality pleasingly allows a Collings to cut through the mix. For solo play, that same character might be deemed less pleasing.

I have no regrets about having owned that Collings. I only sold it because I was downsizing to move and I had become interested in mandolins from independent builders. Ironically, one of my favorites is Stefan Passernig, who once worked at Collings, and I've always thought my Passernig A5 to be his equivalent of an MT2V.

If you're seriously interested in a Collings, my advice would be to buy one used. They are built so consistently that you can buy one confidently from a distance at a depreciated price. You can then play it for six months and decide if it's a keeper. If it is, you've saved yourself 30% of the cost of new. If not, you can sell it for the same depreciated price, taking no loss on the exchange while gaining an education in the process.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Kinda expensive, moderately expensive, take a deep breath expensive, and when I win the lottery expensive.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
    So what would be the price range for a used MF? And how much of a move up would it be from a $200 Alvarez?

Sorry, haven’t priced used MFs lately (would guess $3500 +/- depending on condition, but happy to be corrected), but it would be a MASSIVE step up from a.$200 Alvarez! I have an Alvarez Yairi D28 style guitar from the 70s that truly holds its own with any Martin of similar specs (and, may be better than a few from the seventies), so I respect the brand, though it has evolved somewhat over the years. BUT, I’ve never played an Alvarez mandolin that could compete with anything in Collings’ line.
    Chuck

Agree with Chuck--any Collings is major step up from the Alvarez. I think there is an MF in classifieds for $3300, and I believe I have seen them as low as $3k. An MT would also be major step up too, and you can typically find used ones less than $2k.
    Russ Jordan

While I am absolutely a Collings apologist and have and will continue to sing their praises, the ONE thing they have wrong is their use of the Stew-Mac Golden Age tuners. I am on my second set and they aren’t much better than the first. I figured it would be pointless to ask for another replacement set since I’ll likely get the same (low) quality. I’m planning on upgrading to Rubners at some point. I only mention this because I believe Collings should get honest feedback. It’s by no means a slam.

You tend to see MF's going in the $3300 range, as mentioned above. I've played several MF's and been tempted by many - an MF would be a HUGE step up from a $200 Alvarez.

Caleb: I do agree about the Golden Age tuners being the only disappointing thing about them - I just had my luthier swap them out for some Rubners while he had my MTO in for a set up and fret dressing - got it back last night and the Rubners are so much smoother and easier to use, absolutely love 'em!
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Caleb, would be interesting to hear what specific problems you're having with the Golden Age tuners.

After reading your post, I inspected my MT and noticed that I'd unwittingly lost two of the button screws. I had found a screw in the floor last week and didn't know where it had come from, so that one's no problem, but the other is gone and I'll have to get a replacement. My mandolin is 11 years old, and I have had no other problem with the tuners.

The Rubners are interesting, there are sale prices at the Rubner site, looks like a bill +- to switch to Rubners. https://www.rubnertuners.com/hauser-...lin%20Machines

I like that one of Marty Jacobson's mandolin headstocks is featured on the first photo on the main page slideshow.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    You tend to see MF's going in the $3300 range, as mentioned above. I've played several MF's and been tempted by many - an MF would be a HUGE step up from a $200 Alvarez.

Caleb: I do agree about the Golden Age tuners being the only disappointing thing about them - I just had my luthier swap them out for some Rubners while he had my MTO in for a set up and fret dressing - got it back last night and the Rubners are so much smoother and easier to use, absolutely love 'em!
    Jill, which Rubner set did he install for you?
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff