Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Instruments, Cost & the Placebo Effect

Default Re: Instruments, Cost & the Placebo Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    Coming soon to a thread near you: 'My mandolin is longer than your piece of string'
    But is that a plain or a wound string?

2. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

Seriously though. That earlier point about better mandolins sounding more powerful when played up the neck is useful. I bought my 2006 Breedlove OF because it played well from fret 9 up when playing in E. I don't really play above fret 13 I admit.
    And yes I do realise that some people would not agree with my choice of instrument as a "better" instrument but that is my choice.
    Last edited by RichardF; Feb-13-2018 at 5:59am.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    From Eoin - ".... over priced Bugatti Veyron ..". I couldn't be bothered to get out of bed to ride in something so cheap !!. If you want possibly the finest ''custom built' car ever made,go for one of these - a Rolls Royce ''Sweptail'' - yours for a mere £10,000,000 UK,
    Ivan

PS - That was a total 'one off', uniquely designed for a specific customer ('whoever' they were) RR hasn't disclosed the name / location of the owner. Surfice to say that they also have the mega-yacht to go with it.
    That was the one purchase I regret. The yacht, not so much.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charlieshafer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RichardF View Post
    Seriously though. That earlier point about better mandolins sounding more powerful when played up the neck is useful. I bought my 2006 Breedlove OF because it played well from fret 9 up when playing in E. I don't really play above fret 13 I admit.
    And yes I do realise that some people would not agree with my choice of instrument as a "better" instrument but that is my choice.
    Son, there ain't no money above the 5th fret.

--Chet Atkins, Stringbean, Lester Flatt, almost your choice as to who said it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

I used to have one of these but then I got cured....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	89DBA107-7738-45D6-822A-FE36140C99B0.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	164893
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    I used to have one of these but then I got cured....

Name:	89DBA107-7738-45D6-822A-FE36140C99B0.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	164893
    Bass player Lee Sklar used to have a "producer switch" on his bass. When a producer asked for something different, he'd throw the switch and play. They were usually happy. Of course, the switch wasn't connected to anything, but it did the job.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Platt For This Useful Post:

Just hand a Telecaster plugged into a clean Fender amp to a Les Paul guy used to playing through his effects pedals. View the look of consternation when they realize how crappy their technique is.

Mandolin is the only instrument I've played that demands more of a player. I imagine fiddle is harder still. I doubt there is a mandolin out there that would make you sound better than three or four thousand dollars worth of lessons with a great teacher would. So I say, get a three thousand dollar mandolin and take a couple of years worth of lessons. You'll be happier in a few years. Buy that five thousand dollar mandolin and a year from now you'll be looking for another.

Imagine being able to pick up any old mandolin and make it sing. That friends, would be true happiness.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieshafer View Post
    half are gear nerds, and really care, and for them names and what people play are important. For the other half, it seems playing music is important, and gear is just something you need.
    I don't mean to be adversarial, and yet here I am. I don't there is a clear dichotomy. I know there are folks here that play a Rogue mandolin with a piece of string as a strap who probably are fine musicians, and others that own Loars who are not professionals. I think we can assume that for most of us, playing music is what is important - whatever our skill level. Plenty of artists are gear nerds, too, or at least have a connection with a particular fine instrument.
    Mitch Lawyer

Collings MF5V, Schwab #101 5 string
    1918 Gibson A, 1937 Gibson T-50 tenor guitar
    Jones OM, Hums bowlback

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mandocaster For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Just hand a Telecaster plugged into a clean Fender amp to a Les Paul guy used to playing through his effects pedals. View the look of consternation when they realize how crappy their technique is.
    I am waiting for the cascade of videos of LP players plugged into a clean Fender amp.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I am waiting for the cascade of videos of LP players plugged into a clean Fender amp.
    Even so, the rounder, fatter tone of humbuckers is not as revealing as a single coil.

Im trying to remember the last time I heard a Les Paul played cleanly, maybe a clip of Les himself.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieshafer View Post
    It seems that about half are gear nerds, and really care, and for them names and what people play are important. For the other half, it seems playing music is important, and gear is just something you need.
    I get your point, and there is truth to it. Which part of the hobby of music different folks get attracted to. But I think the one statement I quote above is perhaps misleading. I think most everyone feels that playing music is important, very important. Some are more interested in the tools and maximizing the quality of what the use, others perhaps more emphasis on technique and practice and maximizing their ability.

I don't think there are very many, if any, for whom the brand and what others play is of supreme importance. I really don't. I think such issues get a lot of "air time" here on the cafe, because they are interesting and it is fun to dream. But I don't think there are many who spend money except to maximize the quality of the tools they use to make the music.

I might be wrong, but I think such a person is a straw man constructed out of a frustration with those who do manage to get the things we want but can't get.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post

PS - That was a total 'one off', uniquely designed for a specific customer ('whoever' they were) RR hasn't disclosed the name / location of the owner.

Name:	Rolls Royce Sweptail 2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	697.9 KB 
ID:	164891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rolls Royce Sweptail 3.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	677.3 KB 
ID:	164892
    Sam Li a chinese businessman is the owner of that beast! Check out some of his other sort of 'one-off' junkers.
    http://supercars.agent4stars.com/pow...lection-china/