Thread: Feedback? (Video)

Default Feedback? (Video)

Hey Cafe,

Been playing guitar casually for 4 years, and violin seriously for a year. Now I'm 10 days into mandolin and I would love some feedback on my technique. I will start lessons in early February, but until then I am trying to develop good habits on my own. I thought it would be helpful to have feedback from more experienced pickers.
    (To note: I have been trying to play according approximately to Pete Martin's method videos, since I hope to begin lessons with him.)

Thanks so much!

2. The following members say thank you to MoreThanQuinn for this post:

Default Re: Feedback? (Video)

10 days! Awesome!

Technique looks really good, as far as I can tell. That one year of violin training is clearly making it a lot easier to learn mandolin.

Fretting hand technique looks great. Nice efficient motion (fingers aren't flying around all over), your fingers are staying near to the fretboard even when not fretting (that makes it faster to quickly deploy them when needed), and you're getting nice clean notes. Pinky is well-trained and behaving nicely at the 7th fret, such as at 0:38 & 0:54. As far as I can tell from the video, hand appears to be well-placed on neck, with space between neck and inside of hand (instead of the usual beginner tendency to hold the neck in the palm of the hand).

Picking hand technique looks good, flexible wrist (that's important), again getting nice clean notes.

A quick perusal of the pick direction (I didn't study it in detail) looks like you're doing the usually-advised (good) thing of using down-picks for the main/important notes in a measure, and up-picks for the other notes, and that's good. (It's not always necessary to do that all throughout a tune, although many people do - I personally start tunes that way but gravitate towards mixing it with 'economy' picking as well, depending on the notes in the passage.) So anyway, picking looks great!

Now, bear in mind I'm not an expert or anything, but it looks like you've got a great start on mandolin, heck many longer-time players don't play that good yet, and I don't see any 'red flags' to advise about. Good work!

I also noticed that you're wisely using a strap to support the mandolin, that's great, because that way the fretting hand can do its thing without having to worry about supporting the weight of the neck.

Edited to add:
    I forgot to mention that you're getting nice tone (sound) too. And the alternate-string picking technique and sound is great too. Also, it sounds like a real tune, not a practice exerice or something. Nicely played!
    Last edited by Jess L.; Jan-23-2018 at 1:54am.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jess L. For This Useful Post:

Thanks very much JL277z, I really appreciate you taking the time to write an in depth response. It's really helpful to know that the things you listed stand out to you as being positives, so that I can work on making them habitual and practice with them in mind. Thanks again! And thanks for the kind words

6. The following members say thank you to MoreThanQuinn for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Wow, I'd have to agree with JL that your technique and ergonomics are awesome, as well as your ease with the instrument even in the face of flubs. The things that many beginners struggle with are not present. Based on that video, the only advice I can give is to learn all you can from Pete!

WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Very nice for so short of time on the instrument. I am fairly new on mando and started on guitar about 40+ years ago, so I know the transition mentally is not so easy at first. I particularly like that you don't have to look at your hands to play cleanly. Keep on growing.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

What they all said!

Something not often mentioned is "flow", a smoothness that makes notes sound musical, and you get that nicely.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Welcome to our wild, wacky world. Well done and my advice is just continue to play the snot out of that thang.

Blog Entries

Nice job actually learning a tune at a manageable tempo! Nearly 20 years into playing instruments myself, I still tend to dive headfirst into a tune at full speed, often cementing some sloppiness or forgetting to "internalize" the music. Keep resisting that temptation and you'll be good to go.

As far as physical technique, I personally believe you've got it going on. Very economical. I'm not a fan of pinkie planting, so +1 for not doing that. Post again when you're able to speed it up and play with a little more "bounce." That's the next step toward making beautiful music!

All of the comments are correct, you are doing a great job...Now I want to know what brand of mandolin are you playing, it sounds clean and great?.....

Willie

Wow, thanks so much everyone!

I just want to say, this community is awesome, and such a valuable resource for beginners like myself. You all rock!

@Drew Streip Thank you, I will definitely post once I'm able to get a bit more groovy with some tunes

@Willie Poole I am playing a 2017 Kentucky KM-252 set up by Robert at Folkmusician and then passed along to my by its original owner. I couldn't be happier with it!

Everything seemed great...and you make me look like a no mandolin player. The facial expressions...well.....lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    All of the comments are correct, you are doing a great job...Now I want to know what brand of mandolin are you playing, it sounds clean and great?.....

Willie
    Looked like a Kentucky.

@B381 Haha. Something I have learned about myself is that I am not in control of my face while playing any of the instruments that I play. I have come to accept this unfortunate piece of self-knowledge.

I also own a Ky, KM-956 and it sounds just about like yours does, great mandolins for the price they go for...

Thanks, Willie

I thought your pacing and tempo were really good. You are doing exactly the right thing by playing at a speed that is manageable, and actually I like hearing this pretty song slowed down.

I have to give you props for making the video and looking for advice at such an early stage!

You are doing great - keep playing and I know the experienced folks on here will give you wonderful advice.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanQuinn View Post
    @B381 Haha. Something I have learned about myself is that I am not in control of my face while playing any of the instruments that I play. I have come to accept this unfortunate piece of self-knowledge.
    Lol, I tend to get a bit of a death stare of intense concentration. I’m working on smiling, smirking, something, but, if it sounds good, who cares what faces you make! Got to see Thile and Fleck recently. Awesome show, and a complete contrast in gyrations/contortions/insert “feel of music” here. Bella actually laughed at Chris a few times, shrugging while playing ridiculous banjo
    Chuck