Thread: Octave Intructional Material

I've got John McGann's Octave Mandolin Instructional book and it's a bit too advanced for me at this time but I'm hanging on to it with hopes to be at that level in the not too distant future. Anybody know of any instructional books with or without accompanying CD for the lower intermediate player? #

Cheers!

Fingering is about the only difference I find when playing my OM versus a regular mandolin. #John McGann addresses this pretty well. #So, for more scales, or more tunes, just use any good mandolin book. #There are tons of those. #

I do have Tim O'Brien's DVD. #It's good, and covers both mando and OM. #Not exactly a theory or technique book, although he does cover some of #that.

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Have a look at Mad4Trad.com, there is an (Irish) bouzouki/OM DVD there that is very good. #McGann's, Mad4Trad, O'Brien's and Zan McLeod's Homespun DVD are the only ones I know. # Zan teaches basic scales, and that's real good, a great place to start. #I don't remember if the Mad4Trad one does scales, but that's as close as any of them are to a 'get started' pkg.

I think those are the only ones out there. # I just used mandolin materials for a long time, but most of those teach "closed" chords that can't easily be reached on a lot of OM scale lengths, and so the theory of the use of the instrument is entirely different.

I think Mad4Trad's are about the best for folks just starting. #There are two or three levels of things to do, and along with the motion video (which you can stop and use frame-by-frame, too!) there is good text, chord charts and music notation.

Once you get familiar enough with the OM and want to play some tunes, there are two sets of Irish session books w/CDs that I like. One is L.E. McCullough's "121 Favorite Irish Session Tunes," and on this one they play the tunes twice, once slowly and then 'up to speed'. This one has four (I think, or five?) CDs of tunes. The other is a set of two books w/CDs from Walton's, and it has a similar title. They only play thru each tune once, and the arrangements are a little more sophisticated, but it's no harder to play with, really, than McCullough's.

HTH,

stv

steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

I have a copy of the Mad for Trad bouzouki CD Rom (heck, I even SELL it here: Shanna Quay). For me, it was the best way to get started. I learned to play jig rhythms easily, and found the tunes easy to learn. Mind you, it doesn't really teach melody, just accompaniment.

I have a signed copy of John McGann's book and, like Jim, found it too advanced for my level of expertise. I wrote to John about that, and he advised me to buy a slow-downer program and put the CD through it, to make life easier (or at least, slower).

I also have the Zan McCloud video. It would work a lot better as a DVD - make it easier to jump around to different sections, but I believe there are no plans to do that. The video doesn't link in well (not at all, really) with the booklet that comes in the box. But, if you take time to study it, there are great advantages in doing so. Zan also plays fast, like John, and it took me several re-winds to understand what was going on. But he has a great style, and perseverance is the key with this video, I think.

I would also recommend Han Speek's Bouzouki website (here): Han's irish Bouzouki Home Page it's not the easiest website to navigate (which one is?) but it is crammed with great stuff - chords for various tunings, tunes, accompaniment styles and various rhythms, and much more!

Steve

I almost bought that M4T 'zook CD-ROM last weekend at Lark in the Morning Seattle, but someone had opened it.. I was on vacation and there'd be no way for me to return it if it was defective. So I bought the John Doyle guitar one instead. It's really cool! I like the format very much. Gotta get that 'zook one now..

Quote Originally Posted by (delsbrother @ July 06 2005, 15:55)
    I almost bought that M4T 'zook CD-ROM last weekend at Lark in the Morning Seattle, but someone had opened it.. I was on vacation and there'd be no way for me to return it if it was defective.
    Unless the CD ROM had an obvious mark on it, I doubt that it would prove to be defective.

I have an Irish music shop that sells 50% unwrapped CD's. They just come that way from the distributors - and they are all brand new stock, in top condition. But, they do seem to give off the impression of being somehow 'defective'.

Several customers have refused to buy them because they were not wrapped and sealed. Many more, ask me to play a sample of a CD for them - which I can't do without unwrapping it. I think that comes under the category of "Catch 22".

One lady (from Europe)had me unwrap the last CD of a particular artist and play a few tracks for her. She wanted to buy it and I put it in a bag - "oh no", she said "I want a wrapped one". She left without the CD!

Steve

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

A suggestion on the John McGann book ... don't give up too soon!

For me - the most important section of the book is the introductory 18 or so pages which will get your left and right hand working on the instrument. Learn the little one or two bar lessons and try them on your favorite tunes. An O/M or Bouzouki is a VERY different instrument from a Mandolin or mandola even. Try to get clean tones and learn what drones are where and how they sound. John's approach is to introduce you to BOTH rhythm and melody playing, rather than just learning a tune or two. It's all there - take your time and enjoy ...
    Mandola fever is permanent.

Great info and tips...thanks to all.

Cheers!

Blog Entries

Just spent the coin and am getting John's book - I'm going to find out how much of the material in it will be applicable to the Dean cittern I'm getting Say, John, could you sign my copy?

Rob, The Brewing Bard
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    =============================
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by
    Say, John, could you sign my copy?
    Sho'nuff!
    John McGann, Associate Professor, Berklee College of Music
    johnmcgann.com
    myspace page
    Youtube live mando