Thread: Modern day Ferns

I know that the Master Models compare very well with the Loars in terms of tone and appearance. #I want to know if there is anyone out there who have compared a modern (2001-present) lacquer finished Gibson Fern to one from the mid to late 1920s. #If so, what do you think?
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

I played a '29 Fern recently that I thought was superb.I dind't have my 02 Varnish Fern with me to do a A/B, but I feel my Fern has a bit more bass extension and a slightly warmer tone than the '29 did.

Pricewise the '02 Fern wins by about $60,000.

I also played a '29. I thought it was in the same "family" of sound as my '02. As opposed to playing other brands.
    I 'm not sure Danny Clark would agree about his old Fern compared to a new one, but mine was close enough also. Seems like both his and the other one had low bridges. My new one has a fairly High bridge ( though that is not all that typical in new ones either. that was one reason I picked it over some others). D. Clark doesn't like a higher bridge.

I'd kinda like to hear the opinion of someone who owned a late 20's model Fern.

I've owned and played a 29 for fifteen years now. I played a varnished fern the other day and I really liked the sound. It had a little more bottom on the G string but not as much pop and projection as my 29. I guess you could take that as meaning the 29 had a better mid range. I still prefer the older one but maybe because I'm so used to the sound. The setup of the new fern was pretty awful, almost unplayable but you could still tell the tone was there.

I played a '29 fern at elderly last month. It was a nice mando but in my opinion was no were near as nice as my '03 fern in sound our apearence. gibson is doing a fine job these days.
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

The original late 20s Ferns are more beautiful to my eyes. I'm not too fond of the red color in the modern version. I like the way the color was applied so much more like fine funiture or something. The way those late ferns inlay is though is down right weird and looks like a mistake when the post are drilled right through the inlay. Just overall less "slick" and plastic looking than the new version. Of course the way I'm going mine may not look to slick after only a few years. Seems like the back of mine is really taking a beating just from rubbing against my shirt buttons etc. The laquer is supposed to be thinner than the old F5Ls.

Also, does anyone know if Roland White's new Fern is lacquer or varnish?
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

I think Roland's mandolin is a Master Model with a lacquer finish (he said he prefered the lacquer finish). #At least I think that's what he told me. #I'm sure Big Joe could give the definitive answer.

Roland's mandolin is lacquer. That was what he requested. It is a sitka top with a flowerpot inlay and a brown sunburst. Kind of a fern with an attitude...oh, and without the fern! .
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

just like to see some more comments here