Thread: Stroboclip HD w/ USB

Default Stroboclip HD w/ USB

I recently helped a friend move some furniture. In gratitude, he gave me a new Stroboclip HD tuner, in addition to buying lunch. First of all, the instructions are printed using extremely small gray type on only slightly lighter-colored gray paper. I managed to overcome that.

However, it has a micro USB port but there's no mention of it in the instructions or on their web site. I assume it's a charging port. Is it anything more?
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Default Re: Stroboclip HD w/ USB

Actually the USB port is to allow you to update the firmware (the programing the makes the tuner work) for the tuner. To do this you will have to download a version of Peterson Connect. More information is available on the Peterson website at https://www.petersontuners.com/connect/. Unfortunately, this appears to work best on Google Chrome.

Although I own a Stroboclip HD tuner I haven't tried updating yet. Maybe others can share their experiences doing this.

Thanks. I hooked it up and I don't know that it accomplished anything. It was supposedly updated. But nothing appears different, I mean, it still tunes like it did before.

I'm curious as to why nothing is mentioned about USB in any of the instructions or the promotional material. Apparently, the USB feature has been out long enough for them to be on their third version of firmware.

I did notice one thing: when it's plugged into USB, the display get a little brighter leading me to believe that it draws it's power from the USB and not the battery.

I'll use it for a while and see how I like it. It may be a little too gimmicky for me. I've been using the D'Addario mini tuner ever since they came out and I'm happy with it.
    David Hopkins

McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Apparently it's not just for firmware updates. The USB connector hooks into their "Peterson Connect" feature, allowing the following (from this page on their site):

FEATURES
    Configure the order and number of sweetened tunings in your device's available tuning list.
    Configure 10 custom presets using the tunings from your sweetened tunings list.
    Create your own sweetened tunings with custom offsets and note names.
    Customize your tuner's backlight brightness and battery efficiency options ( StroboPLUS HD Only ).
    Upgrade your StroboPLUS HD to include the BodyBeat Metronome.

The one major feature there, is the ability to create your own "sweetened" tunings and download those to the clip-on tuner.

You know, I could almost see a use for that. I could program a set of tunings for playing with a piper friend, that would start off with the reference pitch for A being almost a whole tone sharp, and then gradually stepping down to A=440 when his chanter finally warms up.

I am about to update my firmware, the description of the update says it now does its startup faster. The lag time has been a little annoying in gig situations.

I advise using the specific sweeteners, I hear the difference, I think
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Here is a video about the Advanced Preferences Menu on the StroboClip HD, sent to me by tech support:

https://youtu.be/N4x0Nz4GX0Q

Comments lead me to believe there are two camps regarding tuning: those who like to know exactly the state of tune (strobe), and those that are good with a green light (non-strobe). Both work fine. I prefer the former, and can use a strobe display just as fast as fooling with a green light, no wait it went red, it's flickering red-green, no now it's green... Strobe shows me exactly what the string is doing at all times.

The StroboClip HD is a great advance over the original in my opinion (which I used for two years). It has a more legible display, the battery lasts at least twice and maybe thrice as long, and it is customizable with Peterson Connect for all kinds of special Sweetened tunings if you need that function (I do not). It also remembers which instruments you tune and keeps those settings clustered which is fantastic for me who uses the same tuner on bass, mandolin and guitar. Now they are all just a button press away from each other.

Note that you need the Google Chrome browser on Mac at any rate to upgrade firmware and use other functions of Peterson Connect. There have been two updates since I bought my StroboClip HD which was a factory replacement for my first which arrived DOA. I agree that it now turns on faster. My replacement has the raised ON/OFF button which is latest external configuration I believe.

I'll just mention that I clip the tuner onto the bridge, not the headstock. Hate the sucker marks on varnish which sometimes never quite fade away completely.

This tuner is sophisticated and customizable, and certainly may be too fiddly for many, but in use it is simple and fast and as I said before, strobe tuning is the only way to go for me.

Geez,I ordered one of these(Stroboclip hd) a few days ago(should be here today). I already feel intimidated by it.
    Hate when my equipment is smarter than me;but,since my eyesight is less than optimal I should like the larger(than the NS mini) screen.
    Anybody use the "MAN" sweetener thing for unison strings? Not sure how that might work...
    Oh well;just another tuner in a very long string of tuners I've bought throughout the years.

May try to sell my Peterson 490;only used it a time or two. Way too much tuner for me.

I have had my HD for a few months now. I have not messed with any settings, updates or sweeteners and it seems to work pretty well. I do like it much more than the original Stroboclip, which I should probably try to sell.
    I'm curious if most folks are using the MAN sweetener or not.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

V70416 & Drew: I'm using the mandolin sweetening and it seems to be better. Maybe it's psychological on my part. I'm not sure my ear is discriminate enough to make the determination. Peterson talks about the sweetening and how it's specific to each instrument but since the length of time a mandolin stays in tune is measured in minutes, I'm now sure how they apply it.

At any rate, I'm using it. Overall, I like the tuner. That said, it's probably too much for the casual musician.
    David Hopkins

PSA:

Stroboclip HD tuners do not, repeat, DO NOT, survive a laundry cycle.
    Check your pockets....
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

11. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    PSA:

Stroboclip HD tuners do not, repeat, DO NOT, survive a laundry cycle.
    Check your pockets....
    Darn! How am I going to clean mine. I guess I'll have to come up with something. I know! I'll try a slightly damp rag.

Seriously, sorry guy. I've never lost a tuner that way but I've lost other stuff. I've already learned to check my pockets.
    David Hopkins

Update:

Holy cow! I left the battery out all day and now it works perfectly!!!!
    So go ahead Mando friends, wash those tuners!

14. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

So go ahead Mando friends, wash those tuners!
    Or not!
    David Hopkins

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Update:

Holy cow! I left the battery out all day and now it works perfectly!!!!
    Nice. Saved again by good fortune. I'll take that every time!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

17. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post: