Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "New" KM-DAWG

Default Re: "New" KM-DAWG

Quote Originally Posted by tbown View Post
    I made an "I'll take it" offer yesterday, even offered to pay 2K US $s, but got no reply. I suspect it is gone to a lucky local bloke!
    Well, it is back up for sale by the same person, but my reply has gone unanswered for more than 24 hours. Very odd that the owner did not get back to me or anyone else last time, and seems uncommunicative again. If this is some kind of scam, they are really playing hard to get!

Blog Entries

These don't come up for sale often so thought it'd be nice to have some fairly decent pictures of one that's for sale at the moment:

Kentucky KM-Dawg

Kentucky KM-Dawg

Kentucky KM-Dawg

Kentucky KM-Dawg

Kentucky KM-Dawg

Kentucky KM-Dawg

Kentucky KM-Dawg

Kentucky KM-Dawg

Kentucky KM-Dawg

3. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Great looking mandolin. I had an 84 DAWG years ago and it sounded amazing. I wasn’t playing much mandolin at the time so I sold it and purchased an 80’s KM 650.

Based upon my limited experience (two mandolins), the Japanese made Kentucky mandolins are very good mandolins.
    Kirk

2007 Kimble F5
    1985 Kentucky KM 650

This just popped up for sale in Halifax: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1643093144

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DAWG full.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	204632

Name:	DAWG body.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	204633

Name:	DAWG headstock.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	204634

Name:	DAWG label.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	204635

It looks to be the same one that was posted about on this thread back in 2018....granted, they do all look pretty much the same, but this is also located in Halifax, NS, CA., and has the same style case. I can't be certain, but there seems to be more than one style of case these were issued with. I will admit that I am pursuing this one, and will report any results as they occur
    too many strings

<Violates Forum Posting Guidelines>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Dec-21-2022 at 8:12am.
    2023 Northfield Big Mon
    2022 Hinde Heritage MF-71
    2020 Tyler White #23
    2007 Lafferty Deluxe NF5 built by Audey Ratliff
    2005 Heiden Artist F
    2003 Gibson Adam Steffey #41
    2001 Apitius Grand Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Tjspahr1 View Post
    I hope you were able to get it, as it's no longer showing as available. I purchased the one that was posted in December 2021 above by the Mandolin Cafe admins. Truly a great sounding mandolin.
    It's on the way. Is yours the one from Fiddler's Green in Texas? Did it come with the OHSC? Square or shaped?
    too many strings

<Violates Forum Posting Guidelines>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Dec-21-2022 at 7:52am.
    2023 Northfield Big Mon
    2020 Tyler White #23
    2005 Heiden Artist F

I'm curious if you wisht yours had a couple more frets? In actual, practical use, I find I do occasionally hit a C on the high string. If I scoop out the end of the extension, I'll likely only eliminate the last four frets.
    The KM-Dawg I purchased from Canada seems like it's coming by dog sled...pulled by one three-legged dog. It has been so long in transport from the frozen north that I'll have to leave it for a week, acclimating to indoor temperature before I can unbox it!
    too many strings

For the record, Halifax isn’t exactly the frozen north. Still no snow here and being on the coast when it does snow, it tends not to hang around too long unless it is snows during late January through February, our coldest months. I hope you get your mandolin soon and enjoy it. My 84 Dawg was very clean and if I recall correctly, it went to Alaska.
    Kirk

2007 Kimble F5
    1985 Kentucky KM 650

12. The following members say thank you to Kirk Higgins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Higgins View Post
    For the record, Halifax isn’t exactly the frozen north. Still no snow here and being on the coast when it does snow, it tends not to hang around too long unless it is snows during late January through February, our coldest months. I hope you get your mandolin soon and enjoy it. My 84 Dawg was very clean and if I recall correctly, it went to Alaska.
    Hi Kirk-just playing on the stupid stereotype about north of border winter weather...hell, it's cold here too this time of year. The mandolin was nearly two weeks in transit and it's December...the instrument got cold and stayed cold for a while.
    Your statement of former ownership means at least two KM-DAWGs have lived in Halifax...interesting. The one I just got was purchased from the Halifax Folklore Center in 1986...did you buy yours new? I am interested in whatever I can learn about my mandolin's prior owner(s).
    Finally have it acclimated to indoor weather and getting some time in on it. My initial reaction is positive.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0734.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1,016.2 KB 
ID:	204881
    Last edited by musicofanatic; Dec-20-2022 at 1:05am.
    too many strings

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to musicofanatic For This Useful Post:

I purchased mine used from the owner of the Halifax Folklore Centre, Tom Dorward. He is a personal friend of mine. It was his personal mandolin but was rarely used. He found the neck width to be too narrow at the nut. His wife, Marla, handpicked it for him from the “factory” in Japan. I believe the Dorward’s sold a couple of the DAWG’s and a few of the Japanese made KM 1500’s. The DAWG was a very good sounding mandolin. I sold mine because I wasn’t playing mandolin that much at the time and purchased an 85 Kentucky KM 650 in its place. Since getting back into the mandolin a few years ago, I purchased the Kimble F5.

Tom Dorward makes a very nice A style mandolin modeled after an A-4.
    Kirk

2007 Kimble F5
    1985 Kentucky KM 650

I purchased mine used from the owner of the Halifax Folklore Centre, Tom Dorward. He is a personal friend of mine. It was his personal mandolin but was rarely used. He found the neck width to be too narrow at the nut. His wife, Marla, handpicked it for him from the “factory” in Japan. I believe the Dorward’s sold a couple of the DAWG’s and a few of the Japanese made KM 1500’s. The DAWG was a very good sounding mandolin. I sold mine because I wasn’t playing mandolin that much at the time and purchased an 85 Kentucky KM 650 in its place. Since getting back into the mandolin a few years ago, I purchased the Kimble F5.

Tom Dorward makes a very nice A style mandolin modeled after an A-4.
    This explains how more than one of this model was owned by residents of Halifax. Here is a copy of the receipt that was in the case...$1800 being approximately $1322 US in 1986.

Name:	IMG_0738.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	204900
    too many strings

A very attractive mandolin, IMHO. Enjoy it!

18. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

I will reach out to the Dorward’s to see if they recall who they originally sold the mandolin to in 1986.
    Kirk

2007 Kimble F5
    1985 Kentucky KM 650

Wow, that would be great; thank you!
    too many strings

Blog Entries

If this discussion is to continue, those of you owning one of these and wishing to use the forum to amp up sales of this brand of mandolin you own need to discontinue posting here. Or you can lose posting privileges. It's your decision. The Forum's Posting Guidelines are clear about this:

- Refrain from using the forum as a market place, ie., a resource for selling, purchasing or trading. Please limit selling, buying and trading activities to the Classifieds section of this web site or other external locations.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    If this discussion is to continue, those of you owning one of these and wishing to use the forum to amp up sales of this brand of mandolin you own need to discontinue posting here. Or you can lose posting privileges. It's your decision. The Forum's Posting Guidelines are clear about this:

- Refrain from using the forum as a market place, ie., a resource for selling, purchasing or trading. Please limit selling, buying and trading activities to the Classifieds section of this web site or other external locations.
    Perhaps I am missing something, but I do not see how this guideline was violated (or perhaps I am not the individual to which this admonishment is directed...?) What occurs to me is, the existence of this site is fueled, at least partially, by "selling, buying and trading activities" (example: I just transacted $3500 in sales through this site's classified division and donated generously in return for the privilege of having this venue through which to make these sales). But I was not around to vote on or approve the exiting guidelines, to which I agreed upon submitting my request for membership here. As regards "If this discussion is to continue...", I, for one would say it has run its useful course, so do as you see fit.
    too many strings

I will reach out to the Dorward’s to see if they recall who they originally sold the mandolin to in 1986.
    Kirk-should you come up with any info from the retailer that you believe might be of interest to me, please message me as opposed to posting on this discussion, to avoid running the risk of further admonishment. Thanks!
    too many strings

Two separate posts above where removed for violation of forum posting guidelines, whos user name matches a name with a recently listed KM-DAWG, your not being admonished whatsoever.

What I would be interested in as a potential buyer is the current market value for these.
    The most recently listed Dawg seems a bit high to me.
    Having been offered the latest Halifax Dawg for 3700 USD, and seeming to recall the Fiddler's Green was asking around 4k?

My take is that $4000 seems to be the current average. However, given the few available,
    1) It is more difficult to easily determine a current market value than it is for an instrument with higher production totals
    2) A seller may ask whatever they choose for a price, and if a buyer meets that price...there is your current market value.
    too many strings

Quote Originally Posted by musicofanatic View Post
    I'm curious if you wisht yours had a couple more frets? In actual, practical use, I find I do occasionally hit a C on the high string. If I scoop out the end of the extension, I'll likely only eliminate the last four frets.
    The KM-Dawg I purchased from Canada seems like it's coming by dog sled...pulled by one three-legged dog. It has been so long in transport from the frozen north that I'll have to leave it for a week, acclimating to indoor temperature before I can unbox it!
    musicofanatic, with respect to more frets, not really. The main driver for getting the DAWG I have is that it had the scooped extension. I can't get used to the "clack clack" from the pick hitting a fully fretted Florida extension. I have another mandolin that while scooped is fretted to a high D...but even then, would rarely use it.

Admittedly the scooped DAWGs could have had additional frets with no pick interference, but so far I'm not looking back. I played it for a good while this evening and have no idea what I was thinking listing it. It's a remarkable instrument.
    2023 Northfield Big Mon
    2020 Tyler White #23
    2005 Heiden Artist F