Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese made Northfield

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Default Re: Chinese made Northfield

Maybe not. But resale value is not normally what one would buy a mandolin for. Years ago at Buffalo Brothers I paid more than market value for a really well played-in 'teens Gibson A-1 only because it sounded incredible. I could have bought a museum piece for the same price that I could have sold for what I paid or more, but this old, over-priced, beat up, but great sounding mandolin is the the one I play every day.

If you buy a mandolin you don't play, no matter what you paid for it or what its resale value might be, it is not a good deal, right?
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Banjo Ben Clark recently put up a video in praise of a Northfield Big Mon. My ears, listening through my speakers, I like the sound of the Big Mon over the other mandolins he plays.

I'm intrigued by Northfield. Mike Marshall plays an artist model on his video replies at Artistworks and one student has a similar instrument. They each sound quite good... so it's not just Mike's hands! I've played the Big Mon and their other F model but they didn't grab me enough to make a purchase. Hope to get my hands on an Artist model some day.

Guys are doing good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky View Post
    Banjo Ben Clark recently put up a video in praise of a Northfield Big Mon. My ears, listening through my speakers, I like the sound of the Big Mon over the other mandolins he plays.

I'm intrigued by Northfield. Mike Marshall plays an artist model on his video replies at Artistworks and one student has a similar instrument. They each sound quite good... so it's not just Mike's hands! I've played the Big Mon and their other F model but they didn't grab me enough to make a purchase. Hope to get my hands on an Artist model some day.

Guys are doing good work.

I have Mike Marshall’s old Artist model, and it is just killer.
    I have played a good number of northfields, and only a couple didn’t thrill me.
    I feel those had dead strings.
    The vast majority were really awesome and fun to play.

The Artist series does stand taller against the others though.
    They are rich and powerful.
    I think it would be hard not to be impressed by these mandolins.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)