Thread: Any instruction heavy on Nashville Number for noob mando player?

Question Any instruction heavy on Nashville Number for noob mando player?

Hello all. This is my first post here at mandolin cafe. I have a few questions.

First a bit of background. I’ve been playing electric bass, primarily in various church worship bands, for 17 years. I started just by memorizing notes on the fretboard, and then transitioned to Nashville Number System and haven’t looked back. At this point I play and think in NNS. NNS and scale degrees just make sense to me.

After we incorporated a mandolin into our Christmas service I decided I wanted to play mando as well, and bought this Loar LM-520 https://themandolinstore.com/product...0-vs-mandolin/

I grew up hearing the mando, my grandpa was a music teacher, who could play anything with strings, but the mando was his instrument of choice. That man could play, and I know if he could do it, so can I.

What I’m looking for is a book, or online course, or video that uses the language of NNS and scale degrees to teach mandolin. I bought the Greg Horne beginning mandolin and DVD, and started working through that, as well as learning chords, and I’ve found the FFCP method on JazzMando, and have started learning scales. I like the scales, I HATE TAB.
    To me, knowing NNS, and understanding scale degrees, TAB is just not enough information. I want to know WHY I’m fretting, where I’m fretting. If I have to use TAB I will, but I’d rather go deeper into scales with NNS.

So that long winded bunch of words was pretty much question 1 - any instruction available in NNS?

Question 2 is where is the beginners group? I saw it referenced in a couple posts, but haven’t found it.

Thanks a lot everyone.

RxR Ben

Default Re: Any instruction heavy on Nashville Number for noob mando play

On the top of the page you'll see a menu option that says Look/Listen. Under that you'll find the Cafe Social Groups.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    On the top of the page you'll see a menu option that says Look/Listen. Under that you'll find the Cafe Social Groups.
    Thank you sir!

I doubt there is much available in NNS. Have you thought about learning standard notation? There are method books to help teach this, including scale studies.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    I doubt there is much available in NNS. Have you thought about learning standard notation? There are method books to help teach this, including scale studies.
    At 43 years old, I’m just not sure I have it in me. I look at standard notation and I just see a bunch of lines and shapes that make no sense to me. I feel like the time to learn standard notation was 30 years ago...

Have you learned standard notation as an adult? How difficult was it for you?

Contact Baron Collins-Hill. He's on this board or on his website. He might have some stuff for you
    http://www.mandolessons.com/lessons/...-fundamentals/
    http://www.mandolessons.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RxR Ben View Post
    At 43 years old, I’m just not sure I have it in me. I look at standard notation and I just see a bunch of lines and shapes that make no sense to me. I feel like the time to learn standard notation was 30 years ago...
    Have you learned standard notation as an adult? How difficult was it for you?
    You're right the best time to learn reading music was 30 years ago. The second best time is now. It's not rocket science. Five lines and four spaces for the name of the notes and half a dozen shapes to tell the duration of each note, which I don't think NNS tells you, and you're on your way. Don't be intimidated by the thought of reading music. Like many things it is possible to be an "expert In reading music but you don't have to know everything to benefit from what knowledge you have, kinda like playing mandolin, there is a lot I don't know about it, but what I know is beneficial and allows me to play and have fun. As I use what knowledge I have, I learn more.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

If you know the NNS and you've been using it to play bass then simply learn the chords that correspond and you can play chords based on the NNS. To get beyond that you'll probably have to get a little deeper into scales. The nice thing about an instrument tuned in fifths like the mandolin is the scale patterns remain the same all over the fretboard. You can use what you already know but you need to adapt to the new instrument.

You might want to get a copy of Dave Nichols DVD. Knowing what you know and what he provides in a short period of time will pique your interest. The first time I met him he told me that he could teach me how to play the mandolin in 20 minutes. In 20 minutes I had a basic understanding and was starting to pick out some tunes. I sure as hell couldn't play the mandolin but the next week I took a break on a song with my band on stage. Honestly I screwed it up but the next week I killed it.

After you've digested Dave's DVD take a look at Ted Eschilman's page on FFcP. If you can find his book buy it. Digest that.

Now, you have a basis to go where ever you want.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

11. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Thanks for the info and encouragement everyone. I’ve got Teds book coming, and have started working on the FFcP scales. I’ll check out the recommended DVD as well.

I think that with the recommended resources, and the ones I’ve already purchased, I’ve got a good starting point.

You may want to check out The Nashville Number System by Chas Williams (www.nashvillenumbersystem.com.) It came highly regarded to me and i've found it very helpful. Interestingly it has also helped my understanding of music theory. Whoduhthunk?

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Blog Entries

I am a strong reader in standard notation, just learning NNS. I am using the same book Ryk mentions above.

There are a bunch of closed form movable chord shapes. I figured out shapes within easy reach of each other corresponding to the I, IV, and V and kind of work from there. So if the key is this, and I put my index finger on the I note, I have the I, IV, and VI need, and the other chords kind of fit their way in as well.

Its kind of klunky, but its coming along.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

15. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post: