Thread: Bently Mandolin

Default Bently Mandolin

I’m looking to learn to play the mandolin. A used music store where I live has a used electric Bently mandolin. At first he said he would sell it for $100 and then he said he would consider a lot less due to some slight neck work that might need to be done... there is not much to be said about the Bently mandolin since it has been discontinued, but since I’m just starting out, would anyone recommend it?

Default Re: Bently Mandolin

Many people go in looking for a “Rolls” and leave with a “Bentley”.
    Sorry, I know, back to the corner.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

3. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

I think I would pass, unless if by "a lot less" you mean $20 or so. You can get a used playable mandolin without neck problems for $100, if your budget is more (and ideally it should be), that opens up a lot more doors.

Here is an old thread about Bently mandolins: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...-Mandolin-Help! Judging by the comments, definitely not worth $100 even without neck problems.

You can get a new playable mandolin to learn on from Musicians Friend (www.musiciansfriend.com) for much less with free shipping.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-...ndolin&index=3

If that mandolin has any problems it will be a nightmare you really don't want to deal with.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I've never heard of a Bently... but then again I haven't been playing as long as others here.

When saying it's an electric does that mean it's a solid body mandolin or is it an acoustic one with a pick-up?

I would advise against learning on a solid body electric for various reasons.

I actually have positive feelings towards my old Bently, which I bought for $90 US on my only-ever time in Texas. For some reason that defies the logic of quality, I preferred it over my first, much better instrument (an all-solid Japanese F5 copy), and it was my main working mando (not that I was working that much with it back then) for 15 years.
    All-plywood, A-50 body, flat fingerboard, sweet bright sound with not much depth, decent feel, never any neck issues. I upgraded the tuners to mediocre cheap ones, and after a few years the adjustable saddle sagged so I replaced it with my own approach see photograph.
    I passed it to my daughter eventually, here’s a sketch her college roommate did...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	728FD936-DAA8-4BD9-8BA5-5E2F32920739.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	387.4 KB 
ID:	163789

Having said that, though, it would probably not be worth dealing with a Bently neck that had any issue that a truss rod adjustment couldnt solve. And in that price range, built in electronics are probably crap if they work at all. Still, I got much more than my money’s worth—what’s that fancy accountant word? Ameliorized? Anyway, on my original investment, $6/year over the 15 I used it, and its still in the family 12 years later! In fact it’s here right now, as #1 offspring dropped it off for restringing...here’s a closeup of the bridge hack (bought a stock solid bridge meant for a flattop, beltsanded it to the desired height, plopped it on top of the original bridge base) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9F317542-9EF0-461F-A82E-F62E6A54F3F8.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	420.4 KB 
ID:	163790

Quote Originally Posted by Tofuleah View Post
    I’m looking to learn to play the mandolin. A used music store where I live has a used electric Bently mandolin. At first he said he would sell it for $100 and then he said he would consider a lot less due to some slight neck work that might need to be done... there is not much to be said about the Bently mandolin since it has been discontinued, but since I’m just starting out, would anyone recommend it?
    Run away as fast as you can !

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    ...what’s that fancy accountant word? Ameliorized?...
    "Amortized," I'm guessing. You probably mean "depreciated," since amortization refers to an intangible asset, and your Bently was at least tangible.

You got your money's worth out of it the second time you played a gig. From then on -- all gravy...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM