Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marla Fibish's Irish Mandolin Course

Default Marla Fibish's Irish Mandolin Course

Anyone else taking the Irish mandolin course on Peghead Nation taught by the wonderful Marla Fibish and care to share a video of their progress? She's teaching Irish slides at the moment. It's really good to get some comprehensive teaching on the less common tune types. Here's where I'm at, just now, with this month's tune - An Choisir.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to James Rankine For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Marla Fibish's Irish Mandolin Course

And this is what it's supposed to sound like!

Blog Entries

No. But I'd like to. Well done!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Wilson For This Useful Post:

Lovely stuff there James, well done! I'm doing a 3 day Irish Mandolin intensive workshop with Marla in February '18 - can't wait!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

7. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

I have invested in Marla's lessons from the beginning of her addition to Peghead Nation. Yesterday was my last day of subscription. Going to take a break and work on other projects. I do enjoy her lessons.

Your lessons have paid off well. Nice job.
    May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us, May God turn their hearts;
    And if He doesn't turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles, So we will know them by their limping.

9. The following members say thank you to mgap for this post:

Lovely playing there, James. Your lessons are certainly paying off.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

11. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Lovely stuff there James, well done! I'm doing a 3 day Irish Mandolin intensive workshop with Marla in February '18 - can't wait!
    I wish I could do the workshop, too... have fun!

13. The following members say thank you to musicology for this post:

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm really enjoying your fluency and smooth attack! Which strings and pick are you using?

Martha's course is interesting, but I don't feel ready yet. I have a three-day workshop with Simon Mayor coming up later this month, and I can hardly wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelsenbury View Post
    I'm really enjoying your fluency and smooth attack! Which strings and pick are you using?

Martha's course is interesting, but I don't feel ready yet. I have a three-day workshop with Simon Mayor coming up later this month, and I can hardly wait.
    Thanks. D'Addario J74s and Dunlop Primetone 1.4.
    Hope to make one of Simon Mayor's workshops one day - great player and entertaining character.

16. The following members say thank you to James Rankine for this post:

Hi there - where is the 3-day course running? And do you know if it is ok for beginners? Simon set-up my mandolin and I have always wanted to get some guidance from him!

Blog Entries

Halsway in Somerset, from 28 January: https://halswaymanor.org.uk/event/si...dolin-weekend/

Oh that looks wonderful. I wish I had known about it before but now it is too short notice.

Blog Entries

He does several of these every year. I think there was one in Sheffield last year, which may suit you better. Keep an eye on his website!

Returning to the original topic: After the workshop, I'll either seriously consider Marla's online course or decide that I won't be ready for a while yet! Looking at James's video, I think the course may be most enjoyable for players moving from intermediate to advanced.

Returning to the original topic: After the workshop, I'll either seriously consider Marla's online course or decide that I won't be ready for a while yet! Looking at James's video, I think the course may be most enjoyable for players moving from intermediate to advanced.
    I'm taking Marla's course, and it's mostly directed to an advanced beginner to intermediate player. There are a few tricky techniques, but these come later in her lessons, and a less experienced player should still be able to play the tunes without some of the trickier ornamentation.

22. The following members say thank you to Steve-o for this post:

He does several of these every year. I think there was one in Sheffield last year, which may suit you better. Keep an eye on his website!
    Thanks! That would be handy, although I don't mind travelling to a nice location for a mando retreat like this. I would love to hear how it went.

@glensbury - thanks for mentioning this course - didn't realise that it existed. I'm very tempted - I'm an ex grade 8 fiddle player (many years ago), but a beginner mandolin player - and frustrated by some of the onine stuff as it expects you to be able to memorise tunes from just shots of fingers - I'm much happier with notation or even TAB rather than guesswork!
    Looking back to orchestra workshoips I did in my youth, I remember how much progress could be made in a weekend.

I think no matter what level you are at you'd get a lot from Marla's course. I remember you saying over on the social group that you struggle with reels because of the pace but the biggest thing I've got from the course is that it's not the pace that gives reels the drive but the emphasis on the beat and the lift. There is a lovely moment during one of her lessons where she says "and now with more drive" and changes the emphasis of the playing without changing the tempo. There is too much store applied to playing Irish music fast because of the session culture, without getting the basics in place first. There is no better person to learn that from, than Marla.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James Rankine For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I had a look at the information on https://pegheadnation.com/string-sch...rish-mandolin/, and it looks really good. My problem with pretty much all of my instructional DVDs is that a long time is spent talking about techniques that I already know, and then they get put into practice in tunes played at a speed with which I just can't keep up. From first impressions, Marla's Peghead Nation lessons appear well paced and may be more useful to me.

Does the course involve any assessment? And is there any interaction with Marla, or just the videos to view? I heard that Mike Marshall offered an online course at one point where students submitted videos of themselves playing, and Mike would offer feedback on technique and musicality. Is this the same kind of thing?

I had a look at the information on https://pegheadnation.com/string-sch...rish-mandolin/, and it looks really good. My problem with pretty much all of my instructional DVDs is that a long time is spent talking about techniques that I already know, and then they get put into practice in tunes played at a speed with which I just can't keep up. From first impressions, Marla's Peghead Nation lessons appear well paced and may be more useful to me.

Does the course involve any assessment? And is there any interaction with Marla, or just the videos to view? I heard that Mike Marshall offered an online course at one point where students submitted videos of themselves playing, and Mike would offer feedback on technique and musicality. Is this the same kind of thing?
    It's not as interactive as Mike Marshal's site but there is a forum where you can post questions to Marla and I posted a link to a video of me playing one of the tunes and she gave some very helpful feedback.

29. The following members say thank you to James Rankine for this post:

Does the course involve any assessment? And is there any interaction with Marla, or just the videos to view?
    The course involves no interaction with Marla, other than that mentioned by James in post #19. Furthermore, the videos are not downloadable - they must be viewed online. The pdf's and mp3's however can be downloaded.

MikeyG

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeyG For This Useful Post:

I've been doing the Peghead begineers mandolin couse (rude not to as the first Month is free!) - but I'm about to swop to Maria's. Though I got some good basic info from the begineers course, not having the music was drviing me nuts - I've never been particularly good at memorizing tunes. And I prefer Irish music anyway!
    On another note I'm also now booked on Simon's wokshop, so I've got a few new tunes to look at and practise in the next week!

Marla Fibish is joining myself, Matt Shipman and David Surette at David's great long running March Mando Camp in Concord, N.H. - the first week in March. I'll be teaching some choro and jazz improv but very much look forward to hanging out with Marla as I've been a bit obsessed with Irish tunes as well. Mr. Surette is no slouch hisself.
    Will Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    I'll see you there then!

35. The following members say thank you to Annette Siegel for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Annette Siegel View Post
    I'll see you there then!
    Yes, looking forward to it! Working me way through the tunes for it Marla posted as we speak!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

37. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Marla will be teaching mandolin again at this year's O'Flahertys Irish Music Retreat in Texas in October.
    Too many instruments...too little time

39. The following members say thank you to BBarton for this post: