Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Italian Mandolin music being forgotten ???

Default Re: Italian Mandolin music being forgotten ???

I played Mandolin for 15-20 yrs before I “warmed up” to the F5 & got one. I didn’t like the way they played or sounded. Then it grew on me. I still prefer the ovals.
    An example is comparing 2 Bach CDs, the Caterina/Marshall & Thile’s. This is not about who or which is better. I find myself listening to the Caterina/Marshal a lot more. One thing is hearing the interplay of the 2 instruments (love that Mando-Cello). The other is hearing Caterina’s bowl Mandolin for the Bach. It sounds wonderful. On Thile’s, hearing the F5 solo for that long period of time, I don’t enjoy as much.
    Off the Italian topic somewhat, I know.
    Joe B

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandopops For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mandopops View Post
    I played Mandolin for 15-20 yrs before I “warmed up” to the F5 & got one. I didn’t like the way they played or sounded. Then it grew on me. I still prefer the ovals.
    That's what I know, Pops. Maybe it is the oval hole (and the way their tops are stiffened) vs. the F hole top and bracing--and the resultant tone differences--more than the scale length that's at issue in this discussion?

Going from a 13" scale bowl or flatback to a my ~13-7/8" Gibson is always an adjustment--in my left hand. Going from an round hole A to an F is more of an adjustment in my ear.

I prefer the oval hole sound (there's generalized statement for you) but I admit I like the way the F style mandolin neck meets the body and having that extra room for my pretty big hands.

I'm still looking for that elusive mandolin that has the sound between that of an F and an oval hole. The Pavas and Ellis-es I have played have been in that territory. Once I get over this non-stop fisarmonica jag I've been on, it will be time to get one.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

4. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Hi Mick and Mandopops: For me it is either/or. I have my Gibson for the vintage tone, plus the Brentrup A4C for modernized oval tone and my Flatiron A5-2 for that f-hole tone. The few oval hole hybrids I have played (x-braced + longer neck) don't do it for me. At least the ones I have played left me cold.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    2018 Campanella A-5 -- 2007 Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Hi Mick and Mandopops: For me it is either/or.
    Yep. Ci sono ancora Le Cose in Comune.

Mick.
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

The mandolins are still heard at Caffe Trieste, once a month on Saturday mornings. I try to post the schedule on MandoCafe's calendar. In addition, I've proposed a workshop for CMSA during the San Diego convention this year. Rudy Cipolla (1900-2000) is a San Francisco Original--steeped in the mandolin tradition as taught to him by his father in a barbershop and later in Portland, OR. Rudy went on to 'major in' vaudeville in San Francisco and became a full-fledged composer when he turned 60 years old. He had worked as an arranger for NBC on the radio. See attached announcement and my call for musicians to participate. Rudy may be gone but he'll never be forgotten! A true mentor to Mike Marshall and David Grisman and so many others! Be a part of the Rudy tradition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rudy adv CMSA.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	183061  

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Sadly I missed any music at Caffe Trieste when I was in San Francisco a couple of years ago. It was August and they take a break then I was told.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    2018 Campanella A-5 -- 2007 Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- '83 Flatiron A5-2 -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- 1936 Epiphone Deluxe -- 1928 Gibson L-5 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo -- National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I used to buy comic books and candy from Rudy in San Francisco when I was a kid. His store was called Rudy's Book Nook. He was always behind the counter with his black oval hole Gibson, with staff paper spread all over the place in the midst of composing and arranging. He was always so engrossed in his music, it was all I could do to get his attention to give him money for the things I wanted to buy.

Sheri, thanks again for championing the preservation of Italian mandolin music!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Foss For This Useful Post:

Bill's story matches everyone's experience. If you stopped into the Book Nook, he trusted visitors! Of course, had you brought him a bottle of mint Fernet Branca, he would have put down his marker to talk.
    Good News! as soon as I get enough of the transcriptions converted into PDFs, I'll post a Drop Box link devoted exclusively to Rudy's music. In preparation for the CMSA convention and also to make sure everyone who knew Rudy gets a chance to play his music again.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post: