Thread: Looking for solo mandolin album of Old Time Appalachian fid.tunes

Default Looking for solo mandolin album of Old Time Appalachian fid.tunes

I play Old Time fiddle tunes on the mandolin. I'd like to know of any solo mandolin CDs or MP3s of fiddle tunes played on solo mandolin -- no vocals, no band. There are individual tunes on YouTube, but I want album/s. Anybody know? I'm mostly interested in Appalachian tunes. Not interested in instructional -- want listenable.

2. The following members say thank you to stringalong for this post:

Default Re: Looking for solo mandolin album of Old Time Appalachian fid.t

I know self promotion is heavily frowned upon here... but your request is very specific and I have made just the recording you are looking for....so here goes https://www.adamtannermusic.com/coll...-solo-mandolin

4. The following members say thank you to Adam Tanner for this post:

There are many, many compilations of old time fiddle tunes available on CD, are you specifically looking for ones with mandolin only?

If you are looking for an OT tune source check out Larry Warren‘s fabulous “Slippery Hill” website. There are recordings of many great tunes available here.

https://www.slippery-hill.com

If you use it and like it consider supporting the site by purchasing a tee shirt or other donation.

Mark
    Mark Lynch

Thanks to both of you. Adam, I ordered your CD! I like your selection because most of them are unfamiliar to me.

Thanks man...enjoy!
    incidentally These tunes are all represented in my book if you are interested
    https://www.adamtannermusic.com/prod...le-of-the-pick

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I enjoy listening to Baron's MP3 album. Some good tune ideas to steal, too!

https://mandobaron.bandcamp.com/album/old-time-mandolin

Do you have a paper copy of your book?

I just emailed you

Spotify is a good choice for serious mandolin players searching out new tunes, and if you go that route you might want to look seriously at buying their Premium membership for families at about $9 a month. Once you get it, start experimenting with their various ways to search. After an hour or so, you might have more tunes than you can possibly learn in a year's time. The reason i recommend the premium account is because it connects directly to The Amazing Slow Downer which lets you take the tune you just chose from Spotify and slow it down by any amount without affecting pitch. Or if necessary, you can change pitch to any key and not affect tempo.

These days, I attend a lot of old-time festivals and player's gatherings (check out the Centralia Old Time Camp) where devotees from all over the country gather to trade tunes and play all day and all night. I keep a notepad with me, and write down any tune that interest me to learn on my own. When I get back home, I search Spotify for every tune on the list. I choose the version I like best to learn from, often out of several choices. I put all the chosen tunes into "playlists" by key, mostly D, G, A, and C.

This is how I learn new tunes these days. As a guy who already knows nearly a 100 tunes by heart, I can honestly confide that you're never going to do more than scratch the surface of what's available. Discovering new tunes is so much fun once you get focused on the hunt. Lately, I seem to be drawn to a specific sub-genre of old time: tunes in the key of C and performed by string bands from the 1920s and 30s such as the Leake County Revelers and the Skillet Lickers.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Thank you, Frosty. And speaking of which, there's so much frost outside where I live, I can't go out! It looks like light snow, but it's not. I ordered some shoe chains but they haven't arrived yet. Year before last, I slipped on the ice (didn't get hurt at all -- not even bruised knees, but I went right down into 4 inches of slush. Had to crawl about 30 feet to find a place to get up on my feet again.) Last year we had 3 weeks of ice and I stayed inside for the entire time. But this year, I have a good report from another older woman friend that these shoe chains allow her to go out. Now about the mandobaron band camp album. I bought it, unzipped the file, and all the tunes went into my Download file. I successfully put them all into Windows Media Player and made them into a Saved Playlist. I tried unsuccessfully to put them into my MP3 collection. But all works just fine in the Windows Media Player playlist. I love these tunes and they are played great!

Hi Adam, I have not rec'd an email from you -- do you want to try sending me a PM here at the mandocafe, about if you have a paper copy of your book?

Hello Jim, thanks for writing. I'm a stay-around-town person. I might go to Simcoe Mountain camp next fall, though. If you've never been, it's an absolute thrill and very inexpensive. I learn new tunes from local jammers. I know that Centralia is wonderful, but I have never been to it. I'm sure I learn new tunes from people who go there, though!

Frosty or anyone, I am having a technical download issue with the MP3 file of the Baron Collins-Hill album. I downloaded it and unzippped it. It is in my PC computer Downloads file. I copied/pasted to my desktop, and from there was able to put the whole album successfully into Windows Media Player, where I made a Playlist. BUT each tune has its own icon on my desktop now. As you can imagine, that's a bit of a mess on my desktop. Windows Media Player works fine when these icons are still on my desktop. But I deleted them all off the desktop, and that disabled the Playlist in Windows Media Player. So I had to go through the routine again, and now every tune in the album is again sitting on my desktop. These are said to be MP3 files. Has Frosty or anyone found a way to put this album into my Amazon Music MP3 collection?

Quote Originally Posted by AKA Frosty View Post
    I enjoy listening to Baron's MP3 album. Some good tune ideas to steal, too!

https://mandobaron.bandcamp.com/album/old-time-mandolin

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can't say about the Amazon music collection since I use Google Play Music which automatically syncs my PC local music folder with " the cloud". I just put the music under My Music and Google does the rest.

Hi Frosty, I got information from OneChord Trick on how to do it. If you are interested, his reply is at https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...67#post1620967 I downloaded the Baron album, then copied it to My Music and it all showed up just fine in Windows Media Player. For some reason all the tunes were put in there twice, so I deleted the duplicates and made a Playlist.

David A. Gordon