Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ireland Bound! Suggestions??

Default Ireland Bound! Suggestions??

Hey all,

I'm heading to Ireland in late May around memorial day for about a week. I'm going solo and the plan is to play as much music as possible. I don't really know anyone in Ireland and have very little planned as of yet.

Any suggestions on places to visit that have a musical appeal (mandolin related or not)?

Anyone on the forum from Ireland?

I have a short list of Irish tunes to learn a friend of mine gave me to have some local flavor - any more are appreciated:
    Morrison's Jig
    The Kid On The Mountain
    The Wind That Shakes The Barley
    The Road To Lisdoonvarna
    The Rocky Road To Dublin
    Off To California
    Banish Misfortune

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ireland Bound! Suggestions??

Take a rain coat and a waterproof case cover for your mandolin!
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

3. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

mbruno 

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

I suggest you visit the Cobblestone Pub in Dublin. Real sessions, fine musicians, great traditions. Not oriented to tourists looking for Danny Boy :-).

Dave
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Reiner For This Useful Post:

I always recommend visiting luthier Paul Doyle in Galway, 38a Dominick St. Good music scene in Galway pubs. Westport, Co. Mayo, is a small town with another great pub scene.

My favorite craic is at Jimmy De Mille's in Thurles, Co. Tipperary, but he's open just one night a week. Requires advance planning.

There might be a "closed" or "pro-level only" seisun here or there in bigger towns, but most musicians will welcome guests to sit in.

And if you play well, there could be free Guinness in it for you.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

7. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

mbruno 

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Don't be shy about asking session people if they mind you recording some tunes to bring home and learn. I picked up The Clumsy Lover that way, and it's my favorite souvenir from our trip.
    Play a lot, but make sure to get out and about and see other sights too. It's a wonderful country.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

9. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

mbruno 

I went to Ireland a few years ago... a fantastic trip, everyone is friendly and travel is easy (once I got used to driving on the wrong side and shifting with the other hand!)

I went to pubs and listened to music every single night... it was great. Although I love to play at jams and sessions, I’m glad I left my mandolin at home. I never saw any jams that were open to outsiders, although I wasn’t really looking.

A knowledgeable friend suggested just soaking up the culture and listening to the locals play... that turned out to be very good advice. There’s so much to see and do- I’m glad I didn’t spend my time looking for open sessions, I can do that at home...
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

11. The following members say thank you to Jstring for this post:

mbruno 

I second the recommendation of The Cobblestone if you're in Dublin, one of my favorites haunts that! In Galway the Crane has good sessions as well. Staying in Galway, as mentioned above, visit Paul Doyle's workshop if you can, and also drop into cafe member Kieran Moloney's shop Moloney Music. Tom Cussen's shop in Clarinbridge, just outside of Galway City is worth a stop as well, as he sells banjos, mandolins and guitars and he is the salt of the earth.

When you say you plan to play as much music as possible, are you planning on busking or seeking out sessions? If you're new to playing irish trad music then you may find the sessions/speed tunes are played at passing you by. The Cobblestone has a Facebook page and regularly posts video from some of their sessions so that would be a good way to give you an idea of the tunes being played. You may be able to find bluegrass or old time sessions (I know the Cobblestone used to host one).

A great resource for learning irish tunes is the Wellington Sessions website - they've loads of tunes and there's a function to slow them down if needs be. Might be a good way to prepare for session playing. Since you'll not be leaving until the end of May you might also check out any irish sessions local to you in San Diego to start getting a feel for the tunes.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

I plodded up the west coast , pocket mandolin aboard , on my bicycle 20 years ago..

others traveling more recently probably have better resources..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Ireland and the Irish are just fantastic. We'll be going over for the third year in a row this May. Neither Lynne nor i nor the friend that we stay with in Clare like big cities and spend the whole of our time in the west based in County Clare and wander up and down the Wild Atlantic Way: https://www.wildatlanticway.com/home.

There've been some great recommendations, especially Jill's for larger cities. In Ennis there's a great little shop Custy's (http://www.custysmusic.com) that could lead you to some wonderful lower pressure opportunities to get your fingers wet and play. I'd say take the mandolin and leave it in the case 'til someone asks about it. I figure if they're open enough to ask they're open enough to listen. Modesty helps and the Irish are the most wonderful of folks.

Knowing some Irish tunes ... thanks Jill for that resource ... will certainly help. But have something to share of your own. We're within a snowball's throw of the Quebec border and love to play Quebecois music and those tunes have gone over well.

Relax and have fun ... you couldn't be in a better place with better people.

Ryk
    Last edited by Ryk Loske; Dec-22-2017 at 6:53pm.
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryk Loske For This Useful Post:

Galway is where I spent two of my three weeks in Ireland last year, which I loved along with the rest of the country. For traditional music, the Crane Bar is great, as well as Tig Choili. Lots of street music too! My friend and I rented guitars from Kieran Moloney at a very reasonable rate. You’ll have a blast!

18. The following members say thank you to ForestWalker for this post:

mbruno 

Default Heading to Ireland (Galway mainly and Dublin) for Memorial Day

Hey all,

So I'm making my first trip to Ireland this Memorial day. I'm leaving May 25th and returning June 2nd. I'm looking for any helpful tips while I'm there. I'll be by my lonesome on this trip and only packing a backpack with clothes and a mandolin. The goal is to play as much music as possible while there. I'm missing the Westport Bluegrass fest by a week which kinda sucks (figured that'd be a good place to meet folks).

I'm starting to hit the local Irish jams in San Diego (there's actually a lot here - every Saturday and Tuesday there's a jam somewhere). Most of the players there have experience in Ireland so I'll be sure to ask them for some information and likely will be learning the songs from the jams first and foremost - but was curious what the Cafe had to say. Looking for information on:

Good jams in Galway, Dublin, or somewhere between
    Tunes I should make 100% sure I have down
    Any Mandolincafe folks out there that feel up for a jam
    Sight seeing places
    etc

Any help is appreciated!!!

Mindin' my own bizness BJ O'Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Heading to Ireland (Galway mainly and Dublin) for Memorial Da

I'm not sure how they are with non-local players, but for listening there is a Sunday afternoon session at the Crane in Galway. It was really good. We also listened to a session at Tigh Coili and the Crane on Saturday night. Tigh Coili, (sp?) is in the touristy section of town, the Crane is a couple of blocks off the busy streets.
    BJ

21. The following members say thank you to BJ O'Day for this post:

mbruno 

when you say jams -- are you looking for bluegrass jams? i haven't been to ireland but i'd think you'd want different contacts depending on which kind of music grouping you're looking for, sort of the same way you do here. just a thought.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Thanks BJ - the Irish jams I've been to around me are pretty closed off to new folks for the most part. You gotta show up a few times before you have a chance to jump in. I hope it's not the same everywhere but who knows! I appreciate the heads up

Randi - well, sure I'd be up for a bluegrass jam but really more looking for local jams in general. Celtic music, folk, rock, open mics, open jams, whatever. I just want to play as much music as possible in another country Since many here are into Irish trad music and I believe there are a few members that live in Ireland, I figured it'd be a good place to start.

Hi Galway guy here.

Having only taken up the mandolin in the last 6 months (guitarist for many years though) I would echo the recommendation of The Crane on Sea Rd and Tigh Coli, I'm not sure if they are open sessions I've never seen anyone jump in. But as I'm also looking for jams etc to go and connect with others, I'll keep you informed of what I find.

The Western Hotel just up the road from Eyre square has an open Trad session on Thursday nights.

You might want to pop into Moloney Music down the main pedestrian area, to check out mandolins, also luthier Paul Doyle's workshop on Dominic St might interest you.
    Last edited by Posterboy; Jan-19-2018 at 9:09am.

25. The following members say thank you to Posterboy for this post:

mbruno 

The most obvious answer regarding Dublin would be to go along to The Cobblestone who have sessions every night. It's a wonderful place, with lovely music, but I have never had the guts to pull out my own mandolin there.

https://www.facebook.com/thecobblestone/

Have a great time!

27. The following members say thank you to Seamus B for this post:

mbruno 

Thanks Posterboy - I'm landing in Dublin but not sure how long I'll be in Dublin. Right now, I'm planning on spending at least Wednesday - Friday in Galway. If you're around I'd be happy to meet up with you at one of those bars
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Great Place to travel! I'm certain you will find good music and very respectful listeners.
    Take a rain coat and a waterproof case cover for your mandolin case. You will need it.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Take a rain coat and a waterproof case cover for your mandolin case. You will need it.
    My wife and I'll be in Ireland for 13 days in June. Our tour company has a lot of pubs lined out for our evenings and I'm sure we'll be interacting with many musicians. I'm only planning on listening, don't want them to think I know what I'm doing.

Regarding rain-jackets....I belong to a camera forum and anyone who's been there tells us to bring them with us.

Have a safe trip mbruno.

31. The following members say thank you to Al Trujillo for this post:

mbruno 

Found this video that looks like you'll be in for a good time in Galway

... not all those who wander are lost ...

33. The following members say thank you to Denman John for this post:

mbruno 

You may want to check out this thread: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...d!-Suggestions

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

35. The following members say thank you to Ryk Loske for this post:

mbruno 

Lots of good stuff - thanks so far!! Looks like Crane Bar and Tig Choili are two popular spots along with the Cobblestone. I'll be definitely checking out those places.

I'm getting excited! I just booked my flight a few days ago for $50 (thank you frequent flier miles!!). I'm landing and leaving from Dublin so that will be a start and end point for me this go round Next time, I'm going to bring my bike and tour a little too

Thanks all - keep the suggestions coming!!!
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

37. The following members say thank you to mbruno for this post:

Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

39. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

I lived in a B&B in Kilfenora for 3 weeks, played every night at Linane's Pub and went out to Doolin a few times to play. Mostly played fiddle but a few mandolin tunes as well. Mandolin was not very well received in the places I went, so I kept it in its case (until they knew me at Linane's then they let me play it).

https://g.co/kgs/E1Zwgh
    Delaneys pub on the border between Kilkenny and Tipperary is a real hidden gem.
    The pub has sessions twice a week, Thursdays and Sundays starting at nine.
    It is a really unique expierence. The pub itself is built and laid out in the traditional grocer/pub style with a large roaring fire in the pub section. Also in the pub is a small drum kit and piano. The owner will accompany the session tunes on piano. People travel from far and wide to play here and because of that the session is very welcoming of strangers wishing to play . Everyone is there for the music. Toilets etc are basic but the music and welcome is 100%.
    The pub is remote and phone signal is not great a car is needed to get there. If you find yourself in that part of Ireland I could not recommend enough.
    Best wishes to all those visiting Ireland I hope you have a wonderful time.