Thread: Fishstick vs Bose L1 Compact : A Quick Review

Default Fishstick vs Bose L1 Compact : A Quick Review

A while back I started a thread that sought info and opinion on weather or not it was worth it to upgrade from the Fishman 220 PA to the 330 PA. I have had the 220 for several years and really liked it. It does a nice job reproducing acoustic instruments and vocals. There really didn't seem to be a clear cut answer or reason to pull the trigger on the 330 other than more power. Have to admit that paying an extra $150. for a decent case for the 330, on a $1000., purchase didn't sit well. The old 220's came with a good case.
    During this time I had an opportunity to play though a Bose system. It was the base system, the L1 Compact. Really liked it so I decided to give it a try. Here is a brief comparison from a mandolin prospective.
    Features: The Fishman systems are pretty much the clear winner here. They have handy features the Bose just doesn't have like a mute button, reverb, and most importantly, 2 separate channels for either XLRs or instruments. Both channels have individual controls. The Bose has only one input for a mic and one for an instrument. If you plug a mixer in the Bose, the only channel left is the XLR.
    Portability: Fishmans wins here too. I could carry the system, a mic stand , mando, and back pack with mics and cords in one trip. The Bose comes with the bass in one hand and the speaker extension in the other . Takes two trips to carry in. However,
    compared with the old standard systems it is still a breeze and anyone who complains about it should "suck it up buttercup".
    Sound: The Bose is the most natural sounding system I have ever used. It sounds just like my mando and vocals ( for better or worse) just louder. When setting up, I have to hold the mando away from the speakers to tell where the sound is actually coming from. It is that good.
    Decision: To me it is about the sound not the features. The vocal clarity, especially speaking, lets us work a room better. Looks like I am keeping the Bose and selling the Fishman. Probably upgrade the mixer to compensate for the lack of built in features. Any suggestions?

2. The following members say thank you to JimKo for this post:

Default Re: Fishstick vs Bose L1 Compact : A Quick Review

Thanks for the review. I like the sound of the Bose too. I use the Yamaha MG82cx with my Bose (L1 1s) system. Plenty of inputs, effects etc for my needs. It is one more thing to haul around however and requires some kind of stand.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

I'm so glad you brought this up, Jim!

I floundered about a bit trying to decide which system to go for. I was looking at several brands when a used Bose L1 Model 2 including the ToneMatch showed up on Craig's list. It is 3 years old, barely used and very well priced, almost half the cost of a new one. It was also reasonably close by and after trying it out I ponied up the dinero from my "under the mattress emergency" fund!

Pluses are, Number One, it sounds SO good. Remarkably precise, accurate sound reproduction with tons of head-room. I've used it playing solo mandolin with my iPad backup and with my musical partner Alexis playing her Roland keyboard. The 180°, horizontal dispersion speaker array has to be experienced to really understand the genius of it. It's amazing how fully the sound penetrates the room at even low levels. The gig we played last Sunday has another dining room past the far wall with a 6' walk through and our music was reasonably audible even there.

It is to be set up behind the musicians which removes the necessity of monitors and provides the players with optimal audio. The musicians are engulfed with sound, as it were. It's very simple to use and stupid-simple to set up.

I have been playing electric guitar with a 50's rock band including 6-7 members since 2000 and believe me, load-out, set up, sound check, break-down, loading all the gear back into the truck...THAT'S work! The Bose L1 Model 2 has some weight to it but for the convenience, simplicity and most of all the fantastic sound reproduction I really don't mind.

Here is a link to the Bose page, (I hope it's ok with MC to post this,)

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/...io-engine.html

I love my Bose! ...can ya tell?!

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

I have used the Bose L-I for about five years and have no negative thoughts about them, I also use a mixer amp and plug that into the Bose, the amp has a reverb so no need to have one on the Bose, My L-I has multiple inputs for both the XLR and 1/4 in cables, mine also has the remote so I can adjust things while I am away from it...My band members all have certain duties that they must perform as long as they are in the band and the biggest one has the duty of carrying the Bose and sitting it up....I only use the mixer amp to have use of the EQ for each mic, here lately though we have been playing with a one mic system so next spring I might just try plugging right into the Bose to see what we can get from that...I bought my L-I right from their outlet in Orlando and they delivered if free of charge all the way up here to Maryland, a deal I couldn`t beat...I have never tried the smaller unit though, should be the same quality...

Willie

Mandolin Codependent

I own both a model II and a compact with a Tonematch unit. I use the Tonematch pretty much every time with either unit. I agree that it is the most natural sounding system that I’ve ever heard. I sometimes plug in and my K&K pickup sounds amazingly like my mandolin with this system.

7. The following members say thank you to Tracy Fleck for this post:

I like fish sticks with tartar sauce.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandroid For This Useful Post:

I tried the Bose L1 Compact about a year ago. I A/B'd it with my Loudbox Mini, and actually preferred the tone of the Loudbox to the Bose. I just felt the Bose sounded compressed, or 'small'. Hard to describe. I did return it, no problem from Guitar Center. I did like the aesthetics of the Bose, they have great product design. So now using a 330x 'Fishstick, am very happy with it.! So many variables in comparing sound, wether amps or mandos. Bottom line, as long as the user is happy with it. ��

11. The following members say thank you to Tomando for this post:

JimKo 

Blog Entries

The main thing is to match your system to the venues you use... what works in one may be less than ideal in others. Hence, aiming for some 'scalability' is always a good thing.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Used the system for the 3rd time this week. It was a tough space, kind of good sized room with an "L" shaped wall in the middle of it. Certainly not put together with acoustics in mind. We played 3 piece. The vocals, especially speaking, and mando carried really well. That might have had something to do with the 180 degree sound dispersal pattern from the speakers. When you hear applause from folks you can't see that is a good thing. I know what Almeria wrote about matching the system to the venue is good advice. In this case the Bose was right for the weird situation. The first time I used one was outside in an wide open space and really like it then too.
    As a friend once told me that finding the "sound" you are happy with is always going to be a process. Sure feel like the Bose has put me a lot further along in this process. Next step is going to be to find the right mixer.

It seems like every gig has unique challenges. It really helps to have a friend in the audience that knows your material, who can report to the band how the mix is. So hard to tell from onstage… glad you're happy with the Bose!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomando View Post
    It seems like every gig has unique challenges. It really helps to have a friend in the audience that knows your material, who can report to the band how the mix is. So hard to tell from onstage… glad you're happy with the Bose!
    Digital remote mixer with recording and 'virtual soundcheck' facility.....

Wander out there with your tablet and hear yourself!
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Hey Almar,

Out here where there are only two of us to do sound-check the Bose is a wonder-worker. The brand new Roland keyboard my partner plays sounds 90 +% real through the Bose with the supplied basic 'piano' mix. The eventual mandolin mix is something I need to arrive at step by step. Even the basic 'vocal' mic sounds fine for the mandolin. The Bose mixer is deep which necessitates study. The ToneMatch is many layered.

Have you tried one?

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Is this an app you refer to…? can you reccomend one? Thanks, Almera! You're a great resource!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomando View Post
    Is this an app you refer to…? can you reccomend one? Thanks, Almera! You're a great resource!
    No. What you need is an actual mixer that records live multi-track.

You get on stage and do a live recording, each instrument to its own track. This will be your soundcheck.

Now, put it into playback mode. You can wander off and 'hear' the entire band and you can adjust the mix, change FX and balance everything from an ideal position 'out where the audience are'. The band can go away for a coffee meantime. When they come back, all your adjustments are made and you are good to go.

The only drawback is that you do need a suitable mixer and suitable models are not super-cheap.

I use the QSC Touchmix.

These record the tracks to an SSD.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

19. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

If we assume there isn't going to be anything digital or any apps involved in my situation, is the Soundcraft EFX 8 a good working mixer to pair with the Bose?