Thread: My New Big Muddy M-2

Default My New Big Muddy M-2

So I recently purchased a Big Muddy Mandolin for $830 from Mike Dulak down in Rocheport Missouri. I wanted to describe my experiences for all to hear.

So here goes:

I contacted mike before hand to to inquire about the radius fret-board option. I wanted to know if they were a 12 inch radius. He told me that he uses dead flat fret boards as standard, and radius costed an extra $80, and that they were indeed 12 inch. So I put in an order for a Big Muddy M-2 (spruce top, maple back and sides) with a radius fret board. As mike was building it he sent snapshots of the progress, which was a very nice treat because it made me feel included in the process. As mike was finishing the mando he also mentioned to me that he threw in an Adirondack red spruce top, instead of the Engleman spruce he uses as standard. I googled Adirondack and apparently it is a more expensive higher quality type of spruce! I was very pleased with this wonderful gesture! After about a week and a half (because he was working on other orders) my Big Muddy arrived!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0976.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	316.2 KB 
ID:	163202

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0977.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	555.5 KB 
ID:	163203

I purchased the rubber grommets, strap, and case seperately.

This is by far the nicest mando I've ever played, and it feels very high quality in the hands. No doubt I will treasure this instrument forever! I also want to mention that mike is a pleasure to speak with (communicated through email) as he always cracks witty jokes! This was by far the most special experience I've had buying an instrument, and wanted to pass this on to other mandolin players!
    (and no, he didn't pay me to say this, I'm genuinely satisfied!)

Mike's Website: http://www.bigmuddymandolin.com/
    Mike's Email: swingdog@bigmuddymandolin.com

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CookieMeister101 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: My New Big Muddy M-2

Beautiful instrument. Play it in good health.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Very cool! Congrats and happy pickin'

Very nice. I have been thinking about these as an upgrade when I get a few $$'s ahead.

Blog Entries

Nice looking instrument. Mike is well respected here, and this is further proof of why. Let us hear a sound clip when you get a chance.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Here is a sample of the M-2's sound

https://youtu.be/ns6w4ZFp6uQ

8. The following members say thank you to CookieMeister101 for this post:

Blog Entries

Quite nice! And well played, too.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Blog Entries

Well done. Sounds great. Thats a keeper. Enjoy!

Thanks everyone!

This is awesome. Sorry to bump an old thread, but how are you liking it after a couple months? I am really considering investing in one of these!

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Very nice mandolin, and a nice testimonial ... and I loved the sound clip at YT!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Very nice! My new M11 should be arriving tomorrow. I can second everything you said. Mike has been a real pleasure to work with and has sent plenty of pictures and a sound file along the way. I bet ours were being made at the same time! I'm hoping it arrives tomorrow.

Post some pics/vids/sound clips when it arrives Tmcmakin! For those of us who are still considering getting one

Quote Originally Posted by Tmcmakin View Post
    Very nice! My new M11 should be arriving tomorrow. I can second everything you said. Mike has been a real pleasure to work with and has sent plenty of pictures and a sound file along the way. I bet ours were being made at the same time! I'm hoping it arrives tomorrow.
    I had almost commissioned a M-11 jumbo but I heard the sound body was only 10.5 inches wide, and just a hair deeper than an ordinary mandolin. Didn't seem to be enough difference for me to consider it much different from my current mandolin. But I would love know your opinion of it, especially its differences and unique traits.

Blog Entries

Gorgeous! Love that flame maple!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

How is the M2 feeling after a little time in your hands? Still loving it?

My M11 arrived today and I just got a chance to open the package and check it out. What a beautiful piece of work! The tone was a little muted for the first 15 minutes or so, then the strings acclimated and the mandolin itself loosened up just a little. Now it really resonates and has such a nice mahogany tone! I'm going to put it through it's paces for a few days and see how much better it gets before giving my full review in a separate thread.

Would love any pics and/or sound/video clips!

I just emailed Mike tonight. I'm getting the itch.

I just ordered a MW-0PC and have the exact experience! Mike has been phenomenal to work with and throughout the process communicates with pictures of the progress as well as sent a recording of him playing my mandolin. I’ve never experienced such unbelievable customer service and kindness. Should receive my mandolin by the end of the week. Highly recommend Big Muddy and Mike is truly a kind, courteous, and thoughtful human being!

I loved OP's sound clip and his super clean note "enunciation" if there is such a thing. I'm impressed!

I’m always glad when a maker fills a need and makes a success of it. Enjoy your mandolin.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1